Rear Fog Light- On or Off? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
From DVLA website:-
######################
94: You MUST NOT
? use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users
? use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users.
Law RVLR reg 27
201: You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 211).
Law RVLR regs 25 & 27
211: You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 201) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.
Law RVLR regs 25 & 27
##########################
A colleague complained he was dazzled when following me into work. It was freezing fog conditions and poor visibility IMHO.
What takes precedence - the no dazzling or have to use the light under conditions of poor visibilty?

--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Rear Fog Light- On or Off? - borasport20
If it's foggy and freezing, why is he driving close enough to the back of you to be dazzled ?

Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Rear Fog Light- On or Off? - Red Baron
Yes, but on a motorway, in the dark, when it is very foggy, and at 85mph, the REQUIRED following distance is only 10 feet!!!

Very easy to be dazzled in those circumstances.
Rear Fog Light- On or Off? - SteVee
I switch them on if the visibility is bad
but switch off when I have traffic behind me - especially in heavy or queued traffic.
Not all vehicles have high intensity rear fogs (motorcycles generally don't) so one shouldn't rely on them.
Rear Fog Light- On or Off? - Red Baron
I would argue that the 'poor visibility' has precedence until and ONLY until someone is following you. If someone is following within 50 - 100 feet of you then switch the blinking fog light off!

Too often have I experienced that people leave their rear fogs on even though I am, say, 30 feet behind them in a 30mph zone. They clearly have failed to update their brain as to their surroundings.

Rear Fog Light- On or Off? - normd
Off and if you can see a car's dipped headlights behind you, keep them off.
- If a driver is travelling so fast that they can't stop in time for a stationary "normal" tail light then they're simply going too fast for the conditions.

Rear Fog Light- On or Off? - BazzaBear {P}
I agree with the above. If visibility is poor, switch them on. But if a car then takes up station behind you, switch them off again. If he's close enough for you to see his dipped beam, then he's close enough to see your rear sidelights, and he'll already know you're there anyway, so there's no point in risking dazzling him.
Same with the fronts. Have them on for poor visibility, but if you catch up with a car ahead, switch them off so you're not dazzling him.
In both cases of course you need to use your own judgement. If you feel that visibility is so bad (and it'd have to be atrocious) that your foglights are still achieving something, keep them on.
Rear Fog Light- On or Off? - tr7v8
Totally agree with all the others Fog lights front or rear are unnecessary in queued slow moving traffic or where you can see car in front or behind. If only the muppets that use them could comprehend this!

Rear Fog Light- On or Off? - Bromptonaut
Agree with most of the above but dipped headlights are much more visible than unaugmented tail lights. I'd like to be sure the following vehicle has seen me and taken up station behind before killing the rear fogs.
Rear Fog Light- On or Off? - BazzaBear {P}
Agree with most of the above but dipped headlights are much
more visible than unaugmented tail lights. I'd like to be sure
the following vehicle has seen me and taken up station behind
before killing the rear fogs.

Very true, but I was having trouble explaining that.
Rear Fog Light- On or Off? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Thanks for your replies. I was taken aback at my colleagues insistence that I obey the Highway Code.
He only followed me for a short distance and I would have switched the light off under normal circumstances after a while.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Rear Fog Light- On or Off? - Tim Allcott
Ask him if he uses his handbrake when stationary in a queue... or follw him out of the car park to check! In my opinion as bad, if not worse, than inappropriate use of rear fogs...!
Tim{P}
Rear Fog Light- On or Off? - 42 years and counting ...
You WERE obeying the Highway Code - by not dazzling him.
Not only are there rules about having lights on in certain conditions and turning them off again, but there are also rules about not dazzling other drivers.
Remind him of that fact and tell him to go read the HC, it's on the web at www.highwaycode.gov.uk/ so is free!
Rear Fog Light- On or Off? - autumnboy
The biggest MUPPETS of all, are the ones who switch on the rear Fog lights as soon as they see a drop of rain on their Windscreens and they have to switch on the wipers, but then Forget to turn them off.

I expect many don't even know why that little light on the dash board is lit. MUPPETS
Rear Fog Light- On or Off? - L'escargot
Unfortunately there seems to be a certain sanctimonious section of the motoring public who go completely over the top with the use of their lights ~ headlights, foglights, the lot. I think they see it as a way of telling you that they are driving more responsibly than you. It's a statement of their superiority.
--
L\'escargot.
Rear Fog Light- On or Off? - jc2
More likely a statement of their INFERIORITY!!
Rear Fog Light- On or Off? - Ruperts Trooper
I don't know if poor visibility is defined officially - I was taught that poor visibility means visibility less than 100 yds.

On one hand some drivers put fog lights on, front & rear, when it's a bit misty with visibility down to half a mile while others use side lights only in a pea-souper when you can only see a couple of car lengths. Does anyone know how to drive properly?
Rear Fog Light- On or Off? - autumnboy
True

But alot of them use these lights when there a slight amount of spray when the road is wet. This causes even more dazzel not from vehicles behind, but also those passing, especially at night time.

Some models have their Rear Hazard Lamps within the same lamp assembly as the stop lights, then you cannot see them operating due to the dazzel of the Fog Lamps.

With all this satelite and roadside weather condition monitor Technology. These lamps should be operated from the sky's above, not the Muppets.
Rear Fog Light- On or Off? - Altea Ego
#Its time to play the music#
#Its time to light the lights on the muppet show tonight#

I shall put my foglights on when *I* think its required
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >