The watch con - Peter D
Whilst out this morning I called in to fill with fuel. On paying and returning to the car a gut in a black Audi parked at a pump opened his window and ask if I wanted a bargain and siad he ahd just finished a show and was left with a load of watches and didn't not have to account for them so if I wanted a £600 watch for say £100 then I can have one. I've heard of this con before and declined and walked away. He drove off and I was 30 seconds later. I droce about 1.2 miles and there is another petrol station, Yep you guessed it the same car in the forecourt. I drove passed stopped and rang the local police station. They had had several calls earlier today reporting this guy and some had been had. The police despatched a car. The guy drove past me 2 minutes later and I gave the police the registration number and the direction the car was travelling. He joined the motorway 5oo yds up the road so hopefully the police may catch him on the motorway. Well that's my good deed for the day. The watches of course are fakes. I have read about this con somewhere on the net. Watch Out There is a Con About. Regards Peter
The watch con - Dynamic Dave
I have read about this con somewhere on the net.

Here perchance?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=38257&...e
The watch con - mountainkat
Not been funny but if anyone believes a guy in a petrol station is going to sell them a £600 watch for £100 they deserve to get conned !!

The watch con - bradgate
Is the guy actually doing anything illegal?

Assuming the watches aren't stolen, and that he is extremely careful about how he describes them, what can plod do? Surely it is a civil matter if the buyer feels he has been ripped off?
The watch con - jacks
This has been going on for sges.

Some time ago my family stopped at Reading M4 services, as my 2 sons wanted to use the loo/get a drink. My wife and I waited in the car park for about 20 minutes and noticed these watch sellers at work. One guy in an Audi, and a lady in a Rover parked opposite him and along a few spaces. The method used was that the main guy targeted young men on their own (he never called over to families,couples, or groups), he showed the guys a magazine advert and then a watch (couldn't hear what was said ) - 2 or 3 people either ignored him or - walked away after a couple of minutes. But after about 10 minutes a young lad was called over and within a few minutes he was handing over cash and walked away with the watch in a presentation box. For some reason the seller would ignore certain young lads and signal to other lady and she would then try to catch them.

I was amazed that anybody would actually buy something in this way.

My wife said that the reason they didn't approach families/couples was that they know women would never be so stupid as to fall for this !
The watch con - bell boy
you need a peddlars licence to sell on the street,you have to go in front of the chief constable for your area to get one.
That was the case 15 years ago anyway unless the law has been receeded.
The watches as seen in posh mags was exposed on watchdog not that long ago.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
The watch con - Lud
It isn't a true con, it's just a sales technique for selling jumped-up schlock, by appealing to the punter's own instinct for 'larceny'.

And it isn't always a rip-off. A foreign geezer got out of a car round the corner when I was on the way to the shops one day last summer and asked me the way to Heathrow. I started to explain - there's a good route and a lot of bad ones - but he didn't want to know. He had all this alleged Giorgio Armani schmutter in the boot, didn't want to schlep it all the way back to Milan on the plane, going cheap. I turned down a brown suit and a Lebanese-looking leather jacket. He produced a grey pinstripe lightweight job, coat fitted me, adjustable trousers. Wanted a hundred quid. I had 50 in my back pocket. Eventually he said Oh, all right then. Not Savile Row but more or less OK, whistle for 50 quid, who's complaining?
The watch con - Quinny100
One day about 2 years ago 2 foreign blokes in an S Class Merc came into the office and said they had just finished a trade show an needed to dispose of some cutlery, knifes, and pan sets before they took the ferry home. I was rather sceptical but having a good look at a set and some haggling, I got 15 table settings of cutlery in a nice case for £45. Colleagues bought some of the other items for reasonable prices as well. We were all very happy with them.

The following year, the same scenario - not sure if it was the same blokes, but the nice car, pitch and products were similar. My boss haggled for nearly an hour to buy the lot of them very cheaply, and promptly offered the stuff to everyone who came into our building and had got rid of the lot inside two days whilst doubling his money! I doubt the stuff was knocked off, because he ended up giving them a company cheque for it, made out to their company, which they gladly accepted.

I don't really believe the "trade show" bit because our offices were right out in the sticks - an agricultural machinery dealership, miles away from any big city or conference venue.

I think this might be some sort of rather innovative sales/marketing strategy - target small business people who have an eye for a bargain, or will bid you for a job lot of something they wouldn't normally think of touching becuase their entrepreneurial sprit leads them to think they can turn a profit on it.

The watch con - J Bonington Jagworth
"Is the guy actually doing anything illegal?"

Yes - he's misrepresenting the goods!

Another popular scam is the rolls of carpet sold from a van that 'has them left over from an exhibition'. Complete boswelox, of course - for one thing, exhibitions invariably have good quality carpet...
The watch con - Pugugly {P}
"Is the guy actually doing anything illegal?"

Fake goods are income generators for terror groups. So yes may be a good answer.
The watch con - cheddar
Deja vu
The watch con - Tomo
One curious thing I have read about some Eastern fake watches is that, having quartz movements instead of mechanical self winders, they sometimes keep better time than the expensive originals their cases copy!
The watch con - buzbee
Surely the biggest watch con of all is to be able to sell a watch with all or most of the numerals removed and with a movement that keeps no better time than one costing a few pounds, (a few seconds a day) that 'must' be worth the hundreds of pounds charged for it because other monied people are paying that so they can exhibit their bling in the 'right' circles.
The watch con - Steptoe
I still have a 'Rolex' that I bought in Thailand many years ago for about a tenner; I paid a little more for a 'quality' rather than a 'cheap' copy, so getting the authentic automatic winding mechanism instead of the battery job.

It is easily the best watch I have ever bought, has outlasted everything else, only the expanding strap shows wear, it's even showerproof like the original!
----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure
The watch con - Timaru

Very true, the main difference between my 20 year old Rolex day-date and my BIL's Singaporean copy is that his keeps good time!
The watch con - Roly93
One curious thing I have read about some Eastern fake watches
is that, having quartz movements instead of mechanical self winders, they
sometimes keep better time than the expensive originals their cases copy!

This is a subject quite close to my heart !
I have bought many high quality replica watches, and what is said above is perfectly true. However I have never bothered with the quartz replicas, as these are usually externally poor quality. I have seen a lot of very good replica Rolex and Omega watches, which whilst COMPARATIVELY cheap, weren't actually dead cheap to buy new, ie about £80-£100. Some of these are trully great products in their own right. For instance, I had a replica Omega for a year, which I sold and then bought the actual real thing which sold for £1100. The replica had a South African made Automatic movement (used a lot in the far Eastern fakes) and kept better time than the real thing complete with its Swiss chronometer certificate !!
The watch con - Deskpilot
I seem to remember the BBC watchdog programme doing an investigation into this method of "selling" some time ago!
The watch con - David Horn
That's nothing. In a services car park I managed to haggle the guy down from 120 pounds to 10. Then I realised I hadn't actually got any cash on me and scarpered.

Shame really, it looked a really nice watch and seemed of reasonable quality. He offered me a jeweller's screwdriver and told me if I could scratch the face I could have the watch for free. I give it a good jabbing and couldn't leave an impression.

Had I actually had the money, yeah, I'd have bought it. He said he'd finished a trade show and had them left over. Don't think there's anything illegal about buying them, unless you are positive they're stolen.
The watch con - helicopter
David - there is a vast illegal counterfeit operation going on behind these guys which is possibly funding terrorism.

Do you really want to support them ?

It just shows how much these guys actually pay for the rubbish they sell if they are prepared to sell to you for a tenth of their starting price.

I have never knowingly bought counterfeit goods and there is a parallel when you move into counterfeit or non OEM parts for cars.

Would you guys who do buy this tat pay for a spare part for your Rolls Royce car purporting to be made by Rolls Royce but actually produced in a Chinese sweatshop?

The watch con - Xileno {P}
If a deal seems too good to be true, there's usually a catch.
The watch con - ablandy
I came across this about 8-9 years ago at fleet services when i was a bit more naive! I got him down to about £30 but didnt have any cash on me. His colleague then offered to show me the cash machine. So off we trotted, over the bridge IIRC. Anyway, put the card in the cash machine then sort of froze, deciding if this was a good thing or not. I took too long and the machine took my card. So i couldnt get the cash. A lucky escape, especially as we couldnt afford it, VERY hand to mouth in those days. Had high aspirations, so thought the watch would look good. Glad i didnt, and i still got to the position i wanted.

Did look nice though!
SWMBO was brought back a fake Gucci years ago from Bangkok by a friend and it cost the equivalent of £6 - it was an excellent watch which kept good time and was good enough to fool a very glamorous professional model friend of ours who knows all about these things.

She quite happily wore it as a day to day watch for years.

However I bought her the real thing a few years ago, very expensive indeed but worth every penny for the look on her face on Christmas Day when she opened the box....
The watch con - PhilW
"worth every penny for the look on her face "
H,
Don't be so coy - tell us the real story!!
--
Phil
Sorry - This is a family forum Phil.
The watch con - Haardvark
David - there is a vast illegal counterfeit operation going on
behind these guys which is possibly funding terrorism.

Pull the other one won't you? It tinkles.
Western governments pump more into terrorists pockets than any number of fake watch sellers. If you are on our side you are not a terrorist. Same people, same tactics, same weapons, same results, different name.

Back to "fake" watches. If it tells the time then it's not a fake, is it? Not sure what a gen-u-ine Rolex would offer over and above a fake one?? Smugness? That's not a very sophisticated offering is it? ;o)

HV

Depends how you define a terrorist HV.

A lot of governments are composed of ex terrorists .Look at ex Soviet , African or even allegedly Northern Ireland. I still do not want to pay money to someone who wants to blow me to bits ,you can if you want to.

Fake is also not the same as counterfeit, ie ripping off a brand that has taken a lot of time and money to build up a reputation which is then shot to bits by these tat merchants.
The watch con - David Horn
David - there is a vast illegal counterfeit operation going on
behind these guys which is possibly funding terrorism.
Do you really want to support them ?

I hope you'll forgive me if I give you an exceptionally sceptical look here. Besides, if I can't tell the difference, why should I care? It is far more probable that terrorism is being financed by the opium trade, which I discovered last week accounts for 15% of Afghanistan's GDP.

Yes, he may have been part of a criminal gang, but he was driving a GIANT black Mercedes.
Do you really want criminals to break the law - You should care because once the rule of law breaks down you have anarchy .

It may seem to be a bit tenuous trying to relate a guy selling watches in a service area to terrorism but just look around you and you must realise that the selling of counterfeit goods is a vast global enterprise involving some very shady people indeed.

It is also a way of laundering money.It is clean money for fake tat produced in far eastern sweatshops by exploited people .

However it all seems a bit heavy for a Friday , so all I would say is just do not be a mug and buy from these people.
The watch con - Lud
Do you really want criminals to break the law - You
should care because once the rule of law breaks down you
have anarchy .
It may seem to be a bit tenuous trying to relate
a guy selling watches in a service area to terrorism but
just look around you and you must realise that the selling
of counterfeit goods is a vast global enterprise involving some very
shady people indeed.

More likely a large number of small global enterprises, surely? Criminals break the law whether we want them to or not, but the rule of law can stand up to a fair amount of that. It has so far anyway.
The watch con - Haardvark
a vast global enterprise involving some very
shady people indeed.

Come on H, this applies to most global companies that I know of. You would be a bit naive to think that only "criminals" behave illegally :o)

There are many very profitable companies that look solely at global businesses and the illegal activities they indulge in. This knowledge may not break any potential deals - but it might just help grease the cogs at a sticking point.

HV
The watch con - Lud
Come on H, this applies to most global companies that I
know of. You would be a bit naive to think
that only "criminals" behave illegally :o)

>

Isn't the deliberate commission of illegal acts for profit what defines a criminal? All sorts of toerags sitting at the high table though. It was ever thus.
The watch con - massey
Another con at the moment is new Portable Generator.(small suitcase size)

Buy one of these 'unoffically' you'll find it has nowhere near the output voltage that says on the sticker.

Pretty useless.

The watch con - Galaxy
A friend of mine used to have a genuine Rolex but, when people asked him, he used to tell them it was a Chinese copy!
The watch con - The Gingerous One
Had a similar one a couple of times n/bound Stafford services on M6. "Just finished the show mate (except he didn't say 'mate'!) got some clothes left over, need to get rid of them before I go back to ..."

I politely declined and left him to go and find someone else. I am guessing they were either fake or nicked and I can manage without them.

cheers,
Stu
The watch con - jc2
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably isn't(true).
The watch con - Morris Ox
Some curious arguments going on here. 'All governments support terrorism', 'All businesses are bent', therefore it's okay if I slip a few quid to someone in the same boat provided my fake Rolex still works a few years later. Eh?

Welcome to the pre-takeaway philosophy club...
The watch con - Lud
Has anyone here said any of these things, MO?
The watch con - Hugo {P}
Before I ask you to keep to motoring related subjects I must tell you this story, even though I may be accused of indulging in hypocrasy ;)

Friend of my father was on his way back from Hong Kong a few years ago, when he was asked by customs if he had anything to declare. He produced the 5 watches that his son had asked him to get for him.

The Customs Officer asked "Are those original or counterfeit sir?"
Traveller "What's the difference to you?"
Customs Officer "If they're genuine we take 20%, if they're fake we confiscate them all"
Traveller "They're genuine allright - here's your 20%" as he handed the Customs Officer one watch.

...and now to motoring please ;)
The watch con - Martin Devon
Last one then!

My mate Bruce, a mechanic, (motoring) yes really, never got caught by anybody. He bought a carpet from one of these guys and even he had to laugh after he rolled it out with a mate and a huge cardboard tube hit the far wall!!........oh! well.

vbr..MD.
Has anyone here said any of these things, MO?

>>

Pretty much, yes:

Western governments pump more into terrorists pockets than any number of fake watch sellers.

A lot of governments are composed of ex terrorists

this applies to most global companies that I know of. You would be a bit naive to think that only "criminals" behave illegally

if I can't tell the difference, why should I care?

The watch con - Bill Payer
if I can't tell the difference, why should I care?

A Belgian man has been jailed for six months for wearing a fake Rolex .

www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1587840.html
The watch con - Lud
>> Has anyone here said any of these things, MO?
>>
Pretty much, yes:

But 'Western governments' doesn't mean 'all governments' or even 'all Western governments' (I don't know what the poster means either, but that isn't the point here).

and 'most global companies that I know of' doesn't mean 'all businesses'.

Sorry to be so nitpicking, but it seems to me that those adopting a moralistic (or even paranoid in a strangely cold-war sort of way) tone towards people who buy schlock from dodgy salesmen haven't really got the hang of the capitalist system. Goods known to be stolen are another matter of course. And if you want to wear fake bling, stay out of Belgium (see other post).
The watch con - Bill Payer
And
if you want to wear fake bling, stay out of Belgium
(see other post).

There was recently a story on TV (Watchdog?) about Customs/Police in Italy stopping tourist?s cars, confiscating fake goods and fining the tourists.

The story I love is the woman who bought a Burberry watch off eBay for her daughters 21st then sent it to 'back' to Burberry when it went rusty after 6 mths. How thick are some people?
The watch con - local yokel
My $10 dollar fake R*l*x that I bought in Phuket kept time to about 1 sec/six months! Far better than my wife's real one, and better than my Seiko.

Had it for five years, until we were burgled. Pity the poor crook who thought he had £2,500 of watch to sell!

To bring it back to motoring, do you remember the BMW ad on April 1 that warned of fake Beemers. The only way of telling was that the blue and white quadrants on the badge were reversed!
The watch con - Waino
My $10 dollar fake R*l*x that I bought in Phuket kept
time to about 1 sec/six months! Far better than my
wife's real one, and better than my Seiko.

>>>>

Are you sure it was a REAL Seiko???

When I took my fake R*l*x to the local market for a battery change, the chap informed me that it wasn't a bad movement. He reckoned that he's seen some fake watches with Seiko movements.

My battle scarred Seiko, purchased in 1979 still keeps perfect time.
The watch con - Stuartli
The quartz movements are often used in more expensive watches(I've several costing a fiver or less and which keep perfect time) are used in more expensive watches.

The car park scam has been featured on Watchdog or similar programme and the individual behind it was shown at the door of his very expensive house. He not surprisingly refused to give interviews.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What's for you won't pass you by
Just suppose, for a moment, someone did make and sell a 'fake' BMW for a few grand less than the real thing. Would there be howls of outrage, or would people think 'if I could get away with it I'd give one a go'?

Now, the mark-up on expensive watches is phenomenal: the materials cost is small, overheads reasonable, brand value huge -so you pay for the badge.

So there are some similarities with cars. You pay more for brand X because its image is 24 carat, while everyone thinks brand y is everyday tin. WEhether brand X really does the job better than brand Y is a matter of opinion.

That said, I'd rather have a Jaeger LeCoultre than a Seiko.
The watch con - Lud
Just suppose, for a moment, someone did make and sell a
'fake' BMW for a few grand less than the real thing.

It might because of skimping on materials be lighter than the real thing and therefore able to stay out of the way more often than most BMWs :oD

That said, I'd rather have a Jaeger LeCoultre than a Seiko.

>>

Yes, even if it kept worse time which it probably would. And no one would bother to steal it because it wouldn't be three inches across covered with diamonds and they'd never have heard of Jaeger LeCoultre.
The watch con - Bagpuss
There was a really nice advertising campaign in the US last year for the BMW Mini, warning to be on the look out for fake Minis. Don't know whether it was used in Europe but it was highly amusing.
The watch con - Jim M
While I have no problem with fake watches and who sells them. This is only the tip of the iceberg, fake spare parts concern me. The oil drilling business is starting to suffer from fake high value spares which cost a fortune in lost time and repairs. More to the point are we all sure that the turbine blades or HT bolts on our aircraft are OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)may be BA or Easy Jet are OK but what about the little shuttle plane to get you to your island paradise after a long haul flight?
Good point Jim M - also watch out for counterfeit prescription drugs, cigarettes and auto parts. Quite how you can tell as a consumer I'm not sure, as there are reports of fakes getting into the supply chain of reputable distributors. However, if you do buy from a large distributor, then you've got some chance of claim on their insurance should a fake item cause a problem.

Buying for cash from a guy with a white van is a no-no, but I guess we know that already.
The watch con - Lud
Buying for cash from a guy with a white van is
a no-no, but I guess we know that already.

Is it OK if he'll take a cheque, then?

I can't help noticing the element of paranoia in this thread with all this talk of massive worldwide criminal organisations funding terrorism and so on.

Of course we don't want people to be killed or bacteria made resistant by useless counterfeit drugs. Although resistant bacteria pour out of the developing countries anyway, owing to the unregulated sale of real antibiotics in markets: people buy as many capsules as they can afford, perhaps just one or two, effectively inoculating any bacteria they may be carrying. I doubt if many dud medicines get into the chain in Europe, likewise lead rotor blades and putty drill bits.
The watch con - g3zdm
You might be surprised at what fakes get into Europe.
I work for an IC (Integrated Circuit) manufacturer - i.e "silicon chips".
There have been quite a few examples both of counterfeit ICs copying both ourselves and our competitors.
There is also the recycling of sub-standard parts to consider.
There have been examples of ICs removed from surplus boards, being cleaned up and sold as new ; in many cases these are failed printed circuit assemblies where one of more of the ICs was faulty to begin with or damaged by the removal and cleaning process.
In other cases lower grade ICs have been remarked as expesnive high grade ones.
I shudder to think of the possible parallels within the auto industry - think brake pads, tyres etc.

Chris Muriel, Manchester
The watch con - Lud
In other cases lower grade ICs have been remarked as
expesnive high grade ones.
I shudder to think of the possible parallels within the
auto industry - think brake pads, tyres etc.
Chris Muriel, Manchester

Don't know much about electronics. If forged ICs work but are shorter-lived than the branded product I can see it might be a nuisance to budget tinkerers, but hardly a disaster. With brake pads, tyres etc. you're talking about 'pattern parts' and cheap brands. Where safety or security are involved in either electronics or motoring, people are motivated to pay top prices for the real thing. Where not, perhaps not.
The watch con - mss1tw
The oil drilling business is starting to suffer
from fake high value spares which cost a fortune in lost
time and repairs.

Will this be the excuse for the next series of price hikes? Creative, if nothing else...
Lud

a 2 second Google brought this:

www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=12...1

Article Date: 03 Sep 2004 - 0:00am (UK)

UK - The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) is recalling batch number 65542 of counterfeit Reductil 15 mg Capsules following discovery of counterfeit material in the UK supply chain.
The watch con - Lud
Point taken LY, there is a worldwide problem (please note:not caused by a worldwide conspiracy!), but the item also confirms what I said: an apparently innocuous counterfiet anti-obesity drug detected in the UK supply chain, and removed, was only the second such incident since 1994.
Lud, try this then:

www.pfizer.co.uk/template2.asp?pageid=294

"July 28th 2005, London. Pfizer Ltd. today urged the British Government and European authorities to commit to actions to safeguard the integrity of the medicines supply chain across Europe. This came after the recent discovery of a quantity of counterfeit Pfizer medicine in the UK medicine supply chain.

The recent incident related to the discovery of a specific batch of counterfeit Lipitor ® (Atorvastatin) 20mg, batch number 004405K1."

"Atorvastatin has also been shown to reduce the risk of heart attack or angina (chest pain) in people with coronary heart disease risk factors, such as hypertension, ..."

Bit more serious, IMHO.
The watch con - Lud
Bit more serious, IMHO.

Quite so, and again, point taken. Also again, the regulatory authority stressed that the case had been an isolated incident. I am not saying counterfeiters aren't a threat (in the case of medicines anyway. But in properly run countries (he said gazing up to heaven and crossing his fingers) counterfeit medicines are soon detected and anyone found responsible prosecuted. If we start getting a flood of them and no one does anything about it, which must be more or less the situation in some countries, then we will be in trouble. Meanwhile, take care when travelling.
The watch con - henry k
>>More to the point are we all sure that the turbine blades or HT bolts on our aircraft are
OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)may be BA or Easy Jet are OK
but what about the little shuttle plane to get you to your island paradise after a long haul flight?

>>
No buts.

Google "counterfeit aircraft parts" produces plenty of hits including questions in the house.
A health warning on the sites below. If you worry then end here.
www.lubbockonline.com/news/120896/plane.htm

www.midtod.com/98autumn/airline.phtml
The watch con - Lud
Expect a revival of the passenger shipping industry, vastly preferable to flying anyway.
Fake cars - Altea Ego
Well the Chinese have actually made fake cars. Well ok copies. Copies so good that parts were interchangeable with the real deal. Its a big worry to the car manufacturers.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
The watch con - Roly93
While I have no problem with fake watches and who sells
them. This is only the tip of the iceberg, fake spare
parts concern me. The oil drilling business is starting to suffer
from fake high value spares which cost a fortune in lost
time and repairs. More to the point are we all sure
that the turbine blades or HT bolts on our aircraft are
OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)may be BA or Easy Jet are OK
but what about the little shuttle plane to get you to
your island paradise after a long haul flight?

>>
Yes you are spot on here.
Fake aircraft parts is virtual epidemic globally, a huge amount of engine, braking and other parts being made in China with inferior quality materials and production techniques. There has even been a trade in written-off aircraft spares being fed back into the value chain. Unfortunately I dont even think the big airlines are immune from sometimes unwittingly buying some of this kit.
The watch con - sierraman
There was a really nice advertising campaign in the US last
year for the BMW Mini, warning to be on the look
out for fake Minis. Don't know whether it was used in
Europe but it was highly amusing.

Surely it already is a fake Mini.>>
The watch con - Lud
Surely it already is a fake Mini.>>

Tee hee! But not a fake, sierraman, a 'classic replica', like a plastic Porsche F55 Spider with a VW engine although a good one of those might be very pleasant... pity in the case of the Mini the replica's actually better in almost every way, but you can't have everything. No one would buy it if it was worse.
Henry K and Roly are correct in highlighting the world wide problem of non OEM spares in the aviation and oil business.

It just so happens that one part of my business means that I am responsible for purchasing millions of pounds worth of such items every year.

I repeat what I said above , would you be happy if the aircraft that you were flying in had counterfeit part in its Rolls Royce engine ?

Non OEM spares in the aviation and oil industry is a world wide problem.

In any industry where safety is paramount we buy nothing unless the correct certifications are in place , often not just from the manufacturers of the item but we also require details of the origin of materials used in construction and witnessing of tests by independent inspectors.