Gearbox failure - 5yr old Seat Ibiza - annbax
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I have a problem that I think someone can help me with. I have a Seat Ibiza, 5 years old, but only 28000 miles. My dealer has told me that I need a new gearbox and clutch. I don't disbelieve them, but I am sure that this should not happen with this low mileage. I want to go into a fight with Seat/VW to get the costs back, but am I wrong? Should I accept that this is something that can just happen whatever the age or mileage of the car?

regards
Gearbox failure - 5yr old Seat Ibiza - AlastairW
This sort of thing can 'just happen', but depends on the use of the car. My 6 yo car is on its first clutch and 'box, but has done nearly 75,000 miles. Has yours had a life of short journeys round town, with much gearchanging involved?
Gearbox failure - 5yr old Seat Ibiza - bell boy
you dont have to have this car fixed at a dealer as at 5 years old its well out of any kind of manufacturing warranty,i suggest you find a local ish recommended gearbox reconditioner and let him sort it, its only a polo in drag after all and we"ve all had a bad gearbox story to tell on them?
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Gearbox failure - 5yr old Seat Ibiza - Aprilia
Quite a lot of these gearboxes made around that time have failed. Like Oldman says above, try a local gearbox recon man.
Gearbox failure - 5yr old Seat Ibiza - SteVee
we had two ibizas and the gearboxes went on both.
The 1st (a 1.4) had worn 5th gear and was repaired - and is still going strong.
The 2nd (a 2.0) broke a shaft and destroyed the case. The gearbox was replaced by an independent but this too later failed (this was after it was traded)
VW reliability doesn't work for me.
As Aprilia says, try a local gearbox recon man.
And then trade it for something built in Japan
Gearbox failure - 5yr old Seat Ibiza - Happy Blue!
If the car has been serviced at the Seat dealers for all of its life, then it is worth asking Seat UK for a contribution. Mind you, even then the cost to you may be more than you paying for the full job at a local independent.

Get a quote.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Gearbox failure - 5yr old Seat Ibiza - Roly93
Crikey, what are you guys doing with your cars to get these sorts of gearbox failure on relatively young cars !
I have been driving since 1977 and my wife since 1982 and neither of us have ever worn out a clutch or had a gearbox "go". I have been doing 20K+ a year of mixed driving now for at least 10 years. I would have thought these problems would be more unlikely on cars now than back in the 70's and 80's.
Gearbox failure - 5yr old Seat Ibiza - Aprilia
Roly93

Modern gearboxes are being made a small and light as possible. with reduced gear contact, smaller synchro's and running thinner oil (for improved economy). Plus they get driven harder (smaller engines are now more powerful and rev faster).
Gearbox failure - 5yr old Seat Ibiza - WipeOut
Not an Ibiza, but I've had three gearboxes go on a Golf (and no it's not my driving style), and my brother in-law had a gearbox go on his Lupo, and neighbour had a gearbox go on a Polo. Never had serious problems with other manufactures gearboxes.
Gearbox failure - 5yr old Seat Ibiza - Xileno {P}
IIRC there was a letter to HJ in last Saturday's DT Motoring section from a reader with a failed Polo gearbox at a low mileage.

Strange though because my VW has 140K on it and the gearbox is fine.
Gearbox failure - 5yr old Seat Ibiza - jase1
Well you live and learn.

To drive these cars you'd think, from the feel, that the gearbox would run forever. Not so it seems.
Gearbox failure - 5yr old Seat Ibiza - annbax
Thanks for the replies. It's true that I do a lot of short journeys, but I'm not hard on the gearbox in the way I drive. It's always been serviced by the dealer, and I'm not really confident enough to go looking elsewhere - I just wouldn't know what I am buying. So, I'm going to have a go at Seat/VW to get some of the money back.

Thanks to you all, you've been a real help.

Best regards, Ann