Moving to Oz - what cars to buy? - Big-G
Hi, We are moving the family (2 plus 2) to Oz later this year. I am planning to sell the Astra and the Seat Alhambra for about £3K + £14K. I will buy two second hand cars over in Sydney, for about the same money or less. One should be a people carrier for my wife to ferry the kids about, the other should be a largish/good-looking/well-handling car for myself. I usually carry small tools and equipment with me, but nothing too large. A few years ago I would have bought a 4x4, but now I think they are just to heavy, fuel inefficient etc.

Any tips on what to buy down-under? Practicalities, what to look out for? Many thanks, Big-G.
Moving to Oz - what cars to buy? - Stargazer {P}
My information is about 5 years old, but the Oz car market is quite different to the UK. I didnt see much evidence (any?) of people carrier type cars. The standard family car is the classic Ford Falcon (straight 6 4.0l) or the Holden Commodore (V6 3.8l) which are more economical than you might imagine helped by the fact that petrol was approx 20-30% of the cost/litre in the UK. Also Mitsubishi Magna and Toyota Camry. The big 4 are all made locally.

Yes, 4*4 are popular but you cant beat the big family cars for long distance touring. The smaller cars are starting to make an impact in the city market (but not the country towns) but these will be very familiar....eg Astra, Barina (Corsa) and Vectra.

Imported luxury cars (eg Volvo, VW, BMW) benefit from additional luxury car tax so they are expensive and while you will see plenty in the cities, not very common elsewhere.

Hatches are less common, expect to see much more in the way of Sedans and Wagons (saloons and estates). Second hand cars keep their value much more than here so you might get a shock looking for a second hand car.

Any more questions? Post here, I bought both my cars in Sydney when based in rural NSW.

StarGazer
Moving to Oz - what cars to buy? - expat
The market has changed a lot in the last five years. Here are the January 06 Australian sales results:
tinyurl.com/a3fjo
We are now paying AU$1.25 a litre (about 55 GB pence) and it is hurting. Mind you I expect it is hurting you guys a lot more!
Thanks Expat....very interesting, unleaded was pushing AU$1.00 when I left in 2001 (at least in country NSW where I lived).

Surprised to see the Holden Astra up so high, was almost a non starter when I was there, is the Vectra still around? Nearly bought one before settling on the Subaru Outback.

StarGazer
The Vectra was a sales disaster. They tried to sell it for a premium price. I think it was about AU$32,000 speaking from memory. No one touched it. Very few sold. They then dropped the price several thousand but still no one wanted it. The same thing happened when Ford imported Mondeos in the 90's. Couldn't shift them. The market here used to be either hatchbacks of Corolla size or Commodore, Falcon size cars. That has changed a bit since the Japs brought out really good mid size cars like the 6, the Accord and the Liberty/Legacy. They sell quite well.

As you said it is a totally different market out here.
Moving to Oz - what cars to buy? - mrmender
This reply will be of no use whatsoever to you but my Oz work mate says you've got to have a Ute as part of your garage he's a single lad in his 20's owns 3 cars (one being the mandatory Ute) & 2 motor bikes.... Aparently not unusual in Oz
Moving to Oz - what cars to buy? - Altea Ego
Based on my last trip there

Most Japanese cars you get here - you get there. Diffrent names and trim level but same cars.

There is no Domestic people carrier so go for one of the japanese ones.

Get a big Holden. built for the place.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Moving to Oz - what cars to buy? - cheddar
70's Jag, good value and the climate is (generally) kind.
Moving to Oz - what cars to buy? - Stuartli
If you are planning long trips into the Outback, a Toyota...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Moving to Oz - what cars to buy? - Vansboy
AM I JEALOUS OR WHAT!!

It's when I read things like this I sometimes wish I was a mechanic...or brickie..or plumber... thats the only way you seem to get high enough point score, to get out there!

& deducting a few years from my date of birth!!

Think the GM or Japanese brands are strongest, so maybe worth test drving the similar models, over here, to see which you like. Then it won't be such a rush situation, when you get out there, stopping you making the wrong choice.

VB

Subaru Outback - davros
I've got family and friends in both NSW and Victoria, and a disproportionate number of them have Subaru Outbacks of varying ages - and I'm not just saying this because I also have a Legacy wagon. One has 200,000+ (km) on the clock and is used on dirt most of the time.

Same was true of Colorado when I was there a few weeks ago - lots of poor / dirt roads, lots of Outbacks.

However my cousin in Sydney has a newish Commodore wagon (he calls it a 'Conformadore') because it is absolutely huge and has room for three kids, a surf board and his wife's windsurfer. Basically an overgrown Omega estate with a big engine and the same nasty interior.

Rgds

Davros
I am in WA where I have lived for most of the last 35 years since leaving the UK. As Stargazer says some of the most popular vehicles are Falcon and Commodores. They are big, reliable, cheap to buy and cheap to repair. They are the Mondeo and Vectra equivalents. Before you look at people movers look at them first. You can get them in station wagons with seven seats. As stated above, cars hold their value better than in the UK so you will pay more for a second hand car in Australia than you would for the same thing in the UK. There has been a trend away from the larger cars lately to small cars like Corollas and Astras but there are still lots of big cars here. You can get Falcons and Commodores with LPG set up if you want to save on fuel costs. Unleaded costs approx $1.20 per litre (42 pence approx to the AU$). LPG is about 60 cents a litre. To see vehicle prices look at www.autotrader.com.au and www.redbook.com.au

I bought an 18 month old Falcon station wagon at auction last year. It had 40,000km on the clock (km not miles) and cost me $17,800. It is huge. You could almost park a hatchback in the boot. I would recommend looking at the State Govt auctions. They are advertised in the motoring section in the papers or you can google for them on line. Ex State Govt fleet cars are a bargain.

In general you should find insurance, registration and fuel cheaper than in the UK. Rust isn't so bad either unless you live near the seaside. Your choice of vehicle will be influenced by what you intend to use it for and where you will be living. If you are in Sydney then you might want a smaller car such as a hatchback. For long country runs it is hard to beat a big Australian six. I love the feel of a big lazy motor under the bonnet and a spacious car. The wife has a hatchback and it is a good car but it doesn't give me the same satisfaction as driving the Falcon.
Moving to Oz - what cars to buy? - henry k
www.google.com.au/
Try www.autotrader.com.au/
Gives you an idea of price ranges.
Happy reading.
I should add that I drove mainly Falcons, Camrys and Comoodores for work, but ran a Barina and then a Subaru Outback for a private car.

If you do a forum search, the subject of motoring in oz has come up a few times, try looking for 'green slip' (compulsory 3rd party ins), 'pink slip' (MOT equivalent).

StarGazer
THANKS GUYS! This is really helpful.

Why are 4x4s comparetively so cheap in Oz? Is there a tax reason?

Anybody have any details on the Holden Jackaroo (Trooper over here)? Seems like there are some 2ndH deals to be had on that car

(Vansboy, my wife is an accountant...)

Regards, Big-G.
The Holden Jackaroo isnt a wonderful 4*4, Much more popular are the Nissan Patrol, Mitsu Pajero, Toyota Landcruiser.

Yes it is a tax reason....due to ground clearance they get an agricultural vehicle import tax. One reason the subarus are good value for money down under...with 200mm ground clearance they also qualify (when I got my Outback the similar model in the UK had a smaller ground clearance).

StarGazer
Moving to Oz - what cars to buy? - Altea Ego
"Much more popular are the Nissan Patrol, Mitsu Pajero, Toyota Landcruiser."

Mostly because they dont break down in the bush. Unreliability is not just an inconvenience out there - its a killer.

You will only Find Range Rovers in Sydney & Melbourne (Tourac)suburbs, the Gold Coast and the road between Freo and Perth.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Moving to Oz - what cars to buy? - PhilDews
Can't contribute too much other than to say check this site: forum.australia4wd.com/

If you are wanting a real 4wd and are actually intending to use it in the bush then the Landcruiser is the one to go for. About 60% of full size 4wd sold in Australia are Toyotas and there is a good reason for that. They are the best with Patrols being second favourites. You won't see make believe 4wd being used by farmers or mining companies. The wheels would fall off. Japanese pickups are very popular with tradesmen and farmers. Not as many white vans around as you see in the UK. In general vehicles are bigger out here than in the UK.
Moving to Oz - what cars to buy? - barchettaman
Subaru Outback or Forester. Cheap over there, great dealer support, it´s a Subaru so will never go wrong, plus the usual petrol gripes don´t apply as the fuel is so cheap over there.
Moving to Oz - what cars to buy? - legacylad
When I visited Oz over 20 years ago I saw my first Subaru...had never heard of them before.Friends of mine in Fremantle, Sydney & Newcastle (NSW) all run Outbacks.Parts very cheap...so much so that I recently bought Aussie parts rather than local dealer when I needed new bushes on my Legacy wagon.I purchased individual bushes rather than a complete assembly which was all my dealer could supply.
I have no idea the cost of petrol in Oz so a larger engined V8 Holden type should be fun, but I have no idea of their reliability.
" Subaru Outback or Forester. Cheap over there"
Can't say I have noticed that. They look dear to me on the Australian second hand market although not so bad when new. Maybe they are cheap compared to UK prices but again I would be surprised having seen the massive depreciation that UK cars have.

Redbook.com.au show the following prices:
2004 Subaru Outback 30 to 50,000km auto private sale AU$28,100 to AU$32,100. Price when new AU$40,680
2004 Ford Falcon Station Wagon BA XT auto 30 to 50,000km private sale AU$17,200 to AU$20,200. Price when new AU$36,565

The Subaru is a better built and designed car. Definitely worth $4,000 extra new but I can't see it being worth nearly 50% more secondhand. Depreciation will be less on the Subaru but depreciation drops off after the first few years on anything.
Agreed, good value when new, but keep their value longer, so not such a good bargain when secondhand.....if you can find one, very few to be had from the dealers SH. I took some cash over at over AU$3=£1 so a brand new outback at AU$40k seemed very good value conpared to the UK. Kept its value as well, sold it after 3 years and 40,000km for AU$27k (private deal to get rid of car on an agreed date in the future).

The Falcon always seemed to me to be a little crude (especially in the wagon form with leaf springs), the commodore was rather more refined (VS.VT,VX), but both were huge compared to the Outback.

StarGazer

Moving to Oz - what cars to buy? - barchettaman
Quite right Expat, as usual. I should have put ´cheaper over there´.
Now I think about it, what about one of those nutter Holden Thunder omega-style pickups? I saw a few when we were there 2004. Absolutely barking mad - could be a bit short on seats though...
The other point that nobody has mentioned yet is that wages are much less here than in the UK. You have to work longer to get your car. Fine if you are buying with money earned in the UK but a bit different if not. On the other hand most things are cheaper in proportion also. Land, houses, petrol, restaurant meals, etc. Great for those coming from the UK to Australia but I would think twice about visiting the Uk. The bottom line though is that in my opinion you can live better here on your weekly wage than people in equivalent jobs do in the UK. And the sunshine is a priceless benefit. Plus you will enjoy your motoring more because it is much easier to find roads with very little traffic. On back country roads I can drive for half an hour without seeing another vehicle and that is in the settled areas with good tar roads. In the outback on gravel roads it could be all afternoon without another vehicle. Parking is free and plentiful except in city centres.
Again, thanks to all who posted, greatly appreciated. All the links and the info are very helpful. The plan for now is: Toyota RAV4 for her (instead of MPV) for about $20K and a Nissan Patrol for him at about $24K. The Patrol has the space I need, a good diesel engine and will do a bit of towing when necessary. But I will take a good look around once I arrive and do a fair bit of test driving. In the meantime we have arranged that we will be staying with friends for the first few weeks, and we can use one of their cars to do the viewing.

Regards, Big-G.