Vauxhall Cav 2.0 problems - Graham Nightingale
Hi All,
I have a '94 Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0 (Ecotech) CDX, which cuts out very intermittently. Usually its while ideling, but sometimes happens while driving. It never happens if Im travelling over, say, 35 mph, and seems to be worse when the fuel level is below 1/4.
I've taken it to Vauxhall, and they said it needed new idle air control valve, throttle body mod, oil sump on the breather hose etc, so Ive had it all done and its still the same. Vauxhall now reckon its my immobiliser!?! Somehow I cant see it being this.

The previous owner had a new engine block fitted as a piston went through the side of the engine, however the new engine has also inhereted the same 'cutting out' problems.

Any help would be great, Ive had the car about a year now and its driving me insane. Somedays it can be fine, where others it can cut out about 5 times. I have to wait for the orange 'engine managment light' to come on before it will start again, or else the start motor goes, but the engine wont fire up. Sometimes it can take 5-6 turns of the key to get this light to show before the car starts, usually after its cut out. First thing in a morning its starts fine, first turn, every time.

Regards

Graham
Re: Vauxhall Cav 2.0 problems - David Davies
If your orange engine management light (now called a MIL or malfunction indicator light) does not illuminate when you turn on the ignition key to position 2 or start this could mean

1 You have a faulty ignition switch

2 You have a faulty engine management relay which is not powering up the engine control computer

3 You have a wiring or poor connection problem in the circuit from the battery through to the engine computer.

If there is a problem with the immobiliser or coded key the MIL will flash repeatedly when you switch on the ignition.
Obviously the easiest thing to try first would be a new relay which I think is located behind the drivers 'kick' panel ie the piece of trim below the bonnet pull.
If a new relay does not fix it then I suggest you contact your nearest branch of Tune-Up for more detailed testing.
Hope you let us know what exactly was causing this trouble.
Re: Vauxhall Cav 2.0 problems - mybrainhurts
I used to have a similar problem with an 8v 2litre Cav CD about 10 years ago.

Problem was a faulty fuel pump relay, located in hinged box at the rear of the engine compartment.

Vaux dealer said it was a common fault.
Re: Vauxhall Cav 2.0 problems - Dave Y
Often the problem with Cavs of about this age is the crankshaft & camshaft sensors which causes the engine mangement light to come on. I had this trouble and also the cutting out which ocurred early on when the engine was cold and pulling across junctions. I went through several cam & crankshaft sensors and the main dealer reckoned that it was a wiring loom problem (£500 odd thank you very much) causing electrical spiking which hit the sensors. I declined to pay for the loom which they said was not a definite cure anyway and got rid of the thing. It's a common problem.
Re: Vauxhall Cav 2.0 problems - Bill Betts
Graham,
I had this happen recently on my 8v Cavalier. No management light - no start - flick fuel pump relay, light comes on - engine starts. Scared the pants off me when it cut out hacking down the A3. A new relay at £27 cured the problem.
Bill
Re: Vauxhall Cav forum web site - jack
try posting your query at the Cavalier forum to get other possible cures/suggestions

cavweb.froya.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
Re: Vauxhall Cav forum web site - Steve G
Had same problem on 2 Cavaliers. The 8v 2.0 SRi had a corroded coil connection. The 16v 2.0 ecotec SRi had a very similar problem but i sold it before solving the problem (cheesed off).
My advice would be to check all the air hoses for splits e.t.c and then have a diagnostics check done. Its not guaranted to pin point the fault but its a good start.
Good luck
Re: Vauxhall Cav forum web site - Graham Nightingale
Thanks for all your replys.
Ive been thinking it could be a fuel related problem for a while, so think Ill try the fuel relay thing first.

I'll keep you all posted with how I go on!

Thanks again,

Graham
Re: Vauxhall Cav - Martin Bell
I had this on a 2.0GSI 16v it was an air leak due to a split in the air intake hose after the sensor which measures airflow. The split could only be seen with a torch in the convoluted section of hose which opened up with movement of the engine. The hose hardens with age, a cheap fix which took 2 years to find finally via the internet. The air leak of course upsets the engine management & ruins the idle running, etc.
Re: Vauxhall Cav 2.0 problems - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Via another web site I have obtained info of an official GM Memo regarding this problem. If none of the other suggestions help email me.
Re: Vauxhall Cav 2.0 problems - Graham Nightingale
Hi All,
Ive changed the fuel relay, with no results. Still the same. Next job is to change the ignition switch I think, but surely this will only fix (if anything) the thing with having to turn the key loads of times?

I'll get some Redex too, and try that.

Ive already changed all the hoses which run across the top of the radiator, so I know its not that (thanks for the suggestion anyway).

Regards

Graham
Re: Vauxhall Cav 2.0 problems - RogerL
The first "maintenance" for any fuel injected Vauxhall, and others, is to add 50ml of Redex Fuel Injection Cleaner to the fuel tank. This will help to absorb any moisture in the tank as well as starting to clean the injectors. Re-dose every 1000 miles.

There is a rubber hose running across the top of the radiator, I think to do with exhaust air injection. This can perish quite quickly and needs replacing. When I replaced mine (1995 2.0 CDX) I enclosed it in silvered ducting to protect it from the heat.