SAAB 9-5 2.2 TiD Vector Automatic - Avenue
I have the chance to buy an 05/55 9-5 2.2 Tid Vector automatic registered in December 2005 and with 1500 miles on the clock. This is from a friend who after only 5 weeks has decided he made the wrong choice. Now I know that these depreciate very heavily in the early years but I am tempted at that price. Any opinions/observations out there?
SAAB 9-5 2.2 TiD Vector Automatic - DavidHM
1. How cheap? It's an old design and an old engine - okay it's a SAAB but is it really that much better than a Vectra? (And have you seen how cheap they are!)

2. Why does your friend say he made the wrong choice?
SAAB 9-5 2.2 TiD Vector Automatic - Quinny100
The late model 9-5's are pretty good cars, but the 2.2 DTI/TiD engine is a bit of rusty nail in a cheap Vectra, let alone a car that positions itself as a viable alternative to a 5 Series or an E Class Merc. If it was cheap and one of the turbo petrol engines it might have been worth a punt, but the 2.2 DTi version is long passed its sell by date.
SAAB 9-5 2.2 TiD Vector Automatic - Avenue
Sorry, I forgot the most important thing. £15,000 is the price I have talked about. Similar cars are going at main dealers for around £18K. He's fallen in love with a Volvo Convertible and likes the deal hence the price on the SAAB.
SAAB 9-5 2.2 TiD Vector Automatic - Happy Blue!
I almost took one of these on lease about a year ago. Then I had a good look in the showroom.

Dull, heavy, no style, slow and rough engines, and terrible dealers with no sense of customer service. Avoid at any price.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
SAAB 9-5 2.2 TiD Vector Automatic - Quinny100
If you want a Saab, £15k is enough for a nearly new 9-3 1.9 TiD 150, which would be a much nicer car.
SAAB 9-5 2.2 TiD Vector Automatic - cheddar
Yes, the 2.2 TDi is the weak point in this car, the facelift 9-5, whichas just been announced and has the 1.9 engine, will knock the residual value of this car. As has been said if it was a 2.0t or 2.3t it would be worthy of consideration.
SAAB 9-5 2.2 TiD Vector Automatic - prm
Why does everyone slag off the 2.0 & 2.2 Dti engine,they are a damn good lump, chain cam so no belts snapping, they do have a bit of poke, and once warm they are pretty quiet, at 70 on the motorway i cant here mine, and if serviced regularly they do mega miles.
SAAB 9-5 2.2 TiD Vector Automatic - commerdriver
Why does everyone slag off the 2.0 & 2.2 Dti engine,they
are a damn good lump, chain cam so no belts snapping,
they do have a bit of poke, and once warm they
are pretty quiet, at 70 on the motorway i cant here
mine, and if serviced regularly they do mega miles.

It is a good engine, I've almost reached 100k miles with mine, it is at least as good in most ways as anything else of similar age. However, engine development moves on and, at least in terms of refinement and power/torque, it's a bit behind the current generation of engines.
The revised Saab 95 with the 1.9 diesel engine was announced in 4q last year so this one may not be quite as good a buy as it seems