Diesel problems - 1982 Talbot MotorHome - Mikeym1
Hi John,

I am currently refurbishing a 1982 Talbot MotorHome. The original engine has been replaced with a later model Fiat Ducato 2.5 Diesel engine (non turbo). The engine seems o.k. although recently noticed the engine takes longer to start with a lot of smoke. However the engine starts fine afterwards. I would also like to decrease the engine noise (I am no expert but I believe this is caused by valve overlap) Could you tell me please:-

1.Could there be a fault with the glow plugs or relay?
2. Are there any products available to improve efficiency of the engine and help reduce the diesel clatter?

Any help and relevant websites would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike.
Diesel problems - 1982 Talbot MotorHome - bell boy
motorhomes are usually stood a lot make sure that the filler cap is secure on the wing so as rain cant get in.
does sound like the timing may be slightly out you may have to "spill it" to get it right.
Friend has one of these found that the fuel lines had bunged up over the years and his was driving like a kangaroo some times but not others,he changed the filter and both pipes and went to europe in his,never heard from him since mind :)
Thanks for the reply.

Once it is running the engine seems fine. No faultering or anything. But now you come to mention it the power seem to be restricted (almost like the engine is governed)The filter seem o.k. I haven't changed the fuel line though. I think the filler cap is secure as well. Can I ask is theree any way to quieten the engine please.

Thanks again.

Mikeym1
Diesel problems - 1982 Talbot MotorHome - asti
Hi if glow plug light comes on with ignition turned on and goes off after a short while relay probably works so change glow plugs.Check for voltage at glow plugs when glow plug light on.
Thanks for your reply.

I believe there is no glow plug light on the dashboard.
The engine was originally a 2 litre lump. So it seems it has been shoe-horned into place. When it starts the engine pings to signal the engine is ready. It seems the pinging is taking longer though. In the summer the engine started fine, but I suppose that was the hot weather. I have recently cleaned the Bus bar (short brass bar connecting the glowplugs together) and cleaned the live connecting to the bar. I didn't take the plugs out though. When it starts its smokes like a chimney.
I forgot to mention the vehicle is parked downhill.

Can I ask please is it possible to clean the glow plugs like spark plugs?

Mikeym1
loads of blankets on the bulkhead?Mikeym1
wadding?
make sure tappets are set right
timing will make it louder if its out
you say filter ok ,does that mean not been changed?do it if thats so.
Can I ask please is it possible to clean the glow plugs
like spark plugs?

no point they are only little electric fires in a tube,if you arent sure if these are working a multimeter on each one to earth will soon tell you (with the buzz bar removed temporarily)
loads of blankets on the bulkhead?Mikeym1
wadding?
make sure tappets are set right
timing will make it louder if its out
you say filter ok ,does that mean not been changed?do it
if thats so.

Hi Oldman,

This engine and bulkhead has no wadding which will be addressed. infact it is warmer outside than in the cab at the moment. I know that will affect the noise level and I believe this currently No: 2000 on the list if you know what I mean.(-:

I have taken note of the tappets. I expect it is well overdue some sort of service. but that will have to wait for us to reach the exterior list. (ripping out dead wood and waterlogged roof lining at the moment.

As for the filter - the engine was a 2 litre petrol. The air filter looks o.k, but I am no expert.

I have just realised the filter and housing maybe the original.
Would this affect it in anyway?

Mikeym1
quite likely, the engine may be starved of air.

watch the sills they are usually rotten check these before anything else as i once refused to weld one of these up due to all the waxoyl and wadding in the vehicle(get them sorted soonest and then make sure they are properly protected if they do need doing)

quite likely, the engine may be starved of air.
watch the sills they are usually rotten check these before anything
else as i once refused to weld one of these up
due to all the waxoyl and wadding in the vehicle(get them
sorted soonest and then make sure they are properly protected if
they do need doing)

Thanks I will check this.

Overall the van is old and tired, but hopefully not for long.
(well not tired anyway).It has been taxed and tested so I believe it is solid. Hopefully everything will be new and funky very soon.

Mikeym1.
Diesel problems - 1982 Talbot MotorHome - Steptoe
Hi Mikey,

Rotten wood & waterlogged roof....I thought at first you must have bought my old Highwayman....

Regret I can't help you with the engine queries as mine was the 2L petrol version, but you enquired about websites, two useful ones are www.motorhomefacts.com/ for general advice about the back end, probably less good for your engine query though there are some DIY folks on there and www.delfindesigns.co.uk/ for base vehicle spares both new and second hand. Derek is a hard man to get hold of but his knowledge of the pre 1994 Talbots is second to none.

One bit of advice he gave me, which may be relevant to your noise issue, is to check, and replace if necessary, the rear gearbox mounting. this is a known weak point and can be replaced with the post 94 version if the mounting is adapted to suit the larger bolt.
----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure
Thanks Steptoe,

Who knows it has had 20 owners before say maybe it was yours (-:

I am not sure what model I have , but it did have a mural of a sword on the back underneath all the rust (My god what have I taken on.....).

I maybe being to hard on it really.
The engine compartment doesn't have any soundproofing, so maybe
this is the problem, plus noticed there is a hole in the bulkhead.

I must say though you can have a conversation in the cab when it is running, so maybe it is not that bad after all.

I suppose I am hoping the engine would have been as quiet
as a petrol engine.

Thanks for the information. I will check out the websites.

Mikey.
Diesel problems - 1982 Talbot MotorHome - maxluis
Very Helpful Forum and good topic as well...................

Motorhomes

Edited by maxluis on 17/11/2010 at 02:55

Diesel problems - 1982 Talbot MotorHome - Peter.N.

I believe the engine you have fitted is of the type fitted to the Citroen CX, a very durable robust one at that, if it is, being non turbo it has a timing chain, the turbo versions had a belt, well two actually and were quieter. Adding as much insulation as you can get between the bulkhead and dashboard is what's needed as already mentioned.

When you say the fuel filter seems alright, have you actually changed it? they can restrict the fuel flow at full throttle if clogged.

The smoke you get on start up, if its bluish white its caused by incomplete combustion suggesting that you have a faulty glow plug/s. Check for 12 volts or a little less on the glow plug terminals whith the ignition switch in the glow plug position. You can check the individual plugs by disconnecting them from each other and measuring the resistance from the terminal to the engine, it should read about one ohm or less, if its a little higher the plug will have lost effifiency, if it doesn't read at all its dud.