New Jetta and Golf Petrol grades? - oldgit
Looking at the online brochure for the new Jetta, it seems that the petrol requirements for the petrol FSI engines (presumed to be the same as in my new Golf MKV) have been revised?

The Jetta brochure says that minimum 95RON petrol is all that is required and that Super unleaded is not necessary. Petrols should be ULS however.

I'm sure that in one of the earlier paper brochures availble when I bought my Golf at the latter end of 2004 stated that it was preferable to use Super unleaded to optimise both performance and economy.

I did however ask for a 'newer' brochure last year but failed to read the section devoted to engine variants and requirements. This afternoon I did rake it out and, too my surprise, saw that it is worded as per the Jetta's brochure. It would seem that I have been wasting a lot of money last year on using solely Super Unleaded grades especially as I have now, for the first, time filled up with 95RON and can't quite honestly notice an deterioration in engine performance or smoothness.
New Jetta and Golf Petrol grades? - Bill Payer
See this thread from the other day about FSI in an Audi:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=37902&...e
and note comment:
"Also - Audi have stopped production with this type of engine BUT have kept the brand name due to image (So new vehicles maybe ok)!!"

No idea how accurate this is, but I looked at FSI when it first appeared and apparently if you didn't use top grade petrol then the engines ran terribly.
New Jetta and Golf Petrol grades? - jc
It is a EU legal requirement that engines must run on 95 RON and the "certified" engine performance(quoted BHP/torque) is done on this fuel.