Fuel consumption at tickover - Kevin
This morning, I was stuck in a 1.5 mile queue of *very* slow-moving traffic on the A33 heading towards M4 J11.

With the fuel gauge in the red and the computer saying I had a range of 12 miles left in the tank, it got me wondering.

How much fuel does a typical petrol engine consume (GPH) when just ticking over?

Kevin...
Fuel consumption at tickover - Dynamic Dave
My fuel computer fluctuates between 0.1 & 0.2 gallons per hour on tickover. 2.2 litre Vectra (petrol)
Fuel consumption at tickover - smokie
I think the Omega 3.0 V6 is 0.3 gal per hour.
Fuel consumption at tickover - David Horn
Hmmm - according to those figures you could potentially let your car sit at tickover for over 2 days on a full tank. Anyone know how much a diesel uses?

On that note, if you ever get stuck in snow or whatever in the cold you could just leave your engine running until you're rescued the next day. :-)
Fuel consumption at tickover - Cliff Pope
Old carburettor engines used quite a lot of petrol at idling, because of the inefficiencies of the system and the need to compensate for petrol that didn't vapourise fully or got lost on its slow way through the inlet manifold.
In contrast, traditional diesels used next to nothing, because they got a minute shot of fuel straight into the combustion chamber, just enough to keep it ticking over. Hence the habit of farmers and boat owners leaving their diesels idling for ages rather than turning off.
I'm not sure about modern injection engines - presumably they ought to use very little fuel too, but unless it is direct injection into the combustion chamber maybe there are losses through slow-speed inefficiencies.

Then that starts the old argument about switching off v. leaving running. Starting up presumably uses a bigger shot of fuel, which might outweigh the saving in the very small idling consumption. Not to mention starter gear wear.
Fuel consumption at tickover - BazzaBear {P}
I worked it out the other day, and my car does approximately 0 mpg when stationary.
I knew I should have bought something more frugal, that's terrible fuel economy.
Fuel consumption at tickover - Altea Ego
"On that note, if you ever get stuck in snow or whatever in the cold you could just leave your engine running until you're rescued the next day. :-)"

Where they might find your warm but very dead rosy pink body poisened by the carbon monoxide fumes.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Fuel consumption at tickover - pmh
Better than a cold but very dead blue body?????

But seriously, I thought the survival advice was to clear the snow around the exhaust but keep the car warm. This presumably is not such a problem in the UK because most strandings are in about 2" of snow anyway!

abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=125501

--

pmh (was peter)

Fuel consumption at tickover - Hamsafar
My diesel says 0.1 gal/hour.
I read diesels are particularly efficient due to there being no throttle and thus much reduced pumping losses.
Fuel consumption at tickover - SjB {P}
My 2000 Vectra 2.5 V6 GSi Estate (the last car I had with an instantaneous consumption display that actually gave something 'useful' at tickover rather than **.* !) used to read 0.3 gph, the same as for the 3.0 referred to above. On cold start it read .6 gph, quickly dropping to .5 gph.
Fuel consumption at tickover - Dynamic Dave
The comment above regarding direct injection using less fuel makes sense. My previous Vectra read 0.3 gph on the fuel computer and wasn't direct injection. My current Vectra, as mentioned above, reads 0.1 to 0.2 gph and has direct injection.

On the other hand, it may just be an inaccurate fuel computer!
Fuel consumption at tickover - SpamCan61 {P}
My V6 Omega used to read 0.3 gal/h, both 2 litre Omegas read 0.2 gal/h*, I assume these are vaguely accurate as the average consumption of a tankfull never varies by more than 1 mpg between the computer & my excel spreadsheet of brim to brim. Looks like direct injection probabaly does save some fuel at tickover.

* the older one with aircon would increase to 0.3 gal/h with the aircon on.
Fuel consumption at tickover - Roly93
Fuel consumption at tickover - R75
The trucks I have been in recently seem to use about 4ltr/hr at idle, but then they are 12ltr lumps so I would expect a slightly higher consumption.
Fuel consumption at tickover - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Thought, with a catalyst, there was negligible CO emission and hence garage suicides much more difficult.
I was stuck in the snow on A74 a few years back and engine was on tickover a lot of the night. Glad I filled up before I set off.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Fuel consumption at tickover - mrmender
This morning, I was stuck in a 1.5 mile queue of
*very* slow-moving traffic on the A33 heading towards M4 J11.
With the fuel gauge in the red and the computer saying
I had a range of 12 miles left in the tank,
it got me wondering.
How much fuel does a typical petrol engine consume (GPH) when
just ticking over?
Kevin...

I suggest you buy a decent sound system for your car and don't worry about it!
Fuel consumption at tickover - Aretas
Reminds me of the time I was doing a solo long drive on the continent. Pulled into a service area for a quick sleep, but left the engine running for warmth (Middle of winter), only to have someone wake me up to tell me my engine was running.
Fuel consumption at tickover - Kevin
>I suggest you buy a decent sound system for your car and don't worry about it!

It has a decent sound system but I'm afraid that doesn't help when you're sat in stationary traffic, in the outside lane of a dual-carriageway, 2 miles from the nearest petrol station, wondering if you are going to add to the congestion by running out of fuel.

Kevin...