Broken down, but "No Parking" - Cliff Pope
Seeing someone broken down and waiting on double yellow lines for the breakdown man made me wonder what the legal position might be in similar circumstances.

Suppose you are driving along next to an active bus-lane, when your car cuts out or suffers a flat tyre.
Do you:
a) stop in the middle of the road and call the breakdown service
b) ditto, but attempt a repair or change the wheel
c) pull over into the bus lane and block it while awaiting assistance or changing the wheel
d) drive (if possible) on a flat tyre until you find somewhere you can park legally?

All those options are themselves illegal, but which would be the least illegal, or cause the least obstruction?
Broken down, but "No Parking" - Civic8
If another option was to park half on pavement half on road ie bus lane,if this was possible,then thats what I would do..A is a no no/as is B unless your an idiot?,D will cause more damage to tyre even make it useless knowing how far you may have to drive to park legally
--
Steve
Broken down, but "No Parking" - Civic8
sorry didnt answer the last bit,not sure of legal side, but least obstruction as mentioned
--
Steve
Broken down, but "No Parking" - NowWheels
If you got a flat tyre, drive on and pull in where you can do so safely and legally.

If it breaks down, what not ask someone to help you push the car out of the way?
Broken down, but "No Parking" - Blue {P}
I wouldnt be risking ruining my tyre for the sake of not blocking a bus lane if I thought it could be repaired! The bus can just suffer a hint of the congestion that everyone else has to deal with! :-)

Blue
Broken down, but "No Parking" - L'escargot
The Highway Code says "If your vehicle breaks down, think first of other road users and ......." www.highwaycode.gov.uk/24.htm#248
--
L\'escargot.
Broken down, but "No Parking" - Dwight Van Driver
Twill all depend what is in the Traffic regulation Order for the lines/bus lane. May well contain an exemption @ to prevent an accident or beyond the control of the driver i.e. breakdown.

dvd
Broken down, but "No Parking" - Adam {P}
>>If you got a flat tyre, drive on and pull in where you can do so safely and legally.<<

LOL! Oh NW - This would be a hell of a boring place without you ;-)
Broken down, but "No Parking" - Cliff Pope
>>If you got a flat tyre, drive on and pull in
where you can do so safely and legally.<<

That's my point - in a no-parking area that might not be for miles. It is illegal to drive any distance with a flat tyre, and it will certainly destroy the tyre and probably the wheel.
So the answer seems to be to stop on the yellow lines or in the bus lane, and hope for the best.
Broken down, but "No Parking" - commerdriver
>> >>If you got a flat tyre, drive on and pull
in
>> where you can do so safely and legally.<<
>>
That's my point - in a no-parking area that might not
be for miles. It is illegal to drive any distance with
a flat tyre, and it will certainly destroy the tyre and
probably the wheel.
So the answer seems to be to stop on the yellow
lines or in the bus lane, and hope for the best.

I hate to say it but I agree at least partly with nowheels.

My wife had a flat tyre on my car on new years day on a fast dual carriageway with no hard shoulder, quite rightly IMO, she drove on the flat for about half a mile until she could get the car safely off the road. I would rather have to replace an alloy than a wife and daughter. Not sure I would give a stuff about whether it was legal either to stop where she was or to drive half a mile on a flat tyre, whan it comes to it safety is the only thing that really matters.
btw the wheel was OK after that distance
>> If you got a flat tyre, drive on and pull in
>> where you can do so safely and legally.
That's my point - in a no-parking area that might not
be for miles. It is illegal to drive any distance with
a flat tyre, and it will certainly destroy the tyre and
probably the wheel.

It depends where you are. In most of the bus lanes on my regular routes, you'd have to drive 50 or 100 yards to get clear, which isn't going to destroy the tyre.

Sure, in some places it'd be more, but in most bus lanes it'd be easy enough to get out of the way.
Broken down, but "No Parking" - cheddar
One of or company vans was involved in an accident last year that resulted in it being undrivable, it could be moved only a few feet, the attending police officer advised that it should be parked in a residents parking bay with note on the dash, inside the windsreen, rather than on a nearby yellow line.

The local traffic warden was a jobs-worth and issued a ticket though I wrote to the council and this was rescinded.
Broken down, but "No Parking" - AngryJonny
Traffic wardens are jobsworths by their very nature. They have insane targets and will ticket anything that's stationary to avoid getting fired. In a situation such as that I would expect to get a ticket and have to fight it later on.

------
AngryJonny (was E34kid)
Broken down, but "No Parking" - Altea Ego
If my car breaks down in a busy London street, and the inside escape route is a bus lane then the cars stays imobilised where its is and blocks the traffic.

Someone will soon be along to help out. Probably the old bill. If THEY then move it to the bus lane then fine but I WONT be doing it. It will all be on the bus lane camera as proof!
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Broken down, but "No Parking" - leef
Its happened to me, I got a flat tyre last year while driving down Cheetham Hill Road in Manchester, I managed to pull into a side street (empty one as well!) but it had double yellows, the jack on my old clio had siezed up so I popped into a takeaway I knew across the road to ask the chap that I knew, if I could lend his Jack, no problem he says, get back to my car about 3 mins later and 2 Traffic Wardens are there popping the ticket on my window, I explained the situation to him, pointed at my tyre, he just laughed and said "the appeal procedure is explained on the the reverse of the ticket sir" and strolled off. I took a picture of my alt tyre and street on my mobile, sent a letter and the pic off to the appeals address, and they wrote a very polite letter back basically saying, sorry to hear about your car troubles but please pay up by such and such a date!! your appeal has been unsuccesful on this occasion etc. I was going to take it to court but couldn't be bothered by that point, so payed up. I should have known as Ive been booked on that street twice before (naughty me) :)

Lee
Broken down, but "No Parking" - Big Bad Dave
You can go a surprisingly long way on a flat tyre. I managed Hammersmith to Shepherd?s Bush before it dawned on me that ignoring it would not make it go away.
You can go a surprisingly long way on a flat tyre.
I managed Hammersmith to Shepherd?s Bush before it dawned on me
that ignoring it would not make it go away.

I think I must have done about 100 miles on the M1/M62 on a flat tyre before I eventually persuaded myself that the noise and steering really were even more dire than usual on that car. (Yes, I know it was very dumb).

Apart from the safety issues, I wouldn't recommend it: the wheel and tyre were both wrecked. Not expensive on that car, 'cos I got a new wheel and tyre for £10 from a scrappie, which remained as an unused spare until I sold the car for £150.
Broken down, but "No Parking" - Altea Ego
At one time the the "shepherds bush road" road surface was so bad you wouldnt know you had a puncture.

I wonder if the shepherds bush every really existed? its just a burnt out stump now.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Broken down, but "No Parking" - Mapmaker
If it were that easy to avoid a parking ticket, nobody would ever pay for parking in places where it is expensive. Just let down a tyre and pump it back up again when you want to drive off.
Broken down, but "No Parking" - Navara Van man
Personaly I would just park the vehicle up regarless of the markings. If it was a tyre I would change it however if a mecanical fault then I would phone the aa. if the vehicle was causeing a seriouse problem or a hazard then i would call the police. In a similar situation some one will usualy stop and tow you out the way, or after several hours a police car might arive!
Broken down, but "No Parking" - Shaz {p}
Is this why you are called No Wheels?!