sucking out engine oil - Happy Blue!
On a thread in techincal, there was a comment that there was a school of thought that preferred sucking out engine oil rather than draining out via the sump plug.

I can't see the benefit to the car, as crud will settle around the bottom of the sump (where a suction device will find it hard to reach) and will drop out as the sump plug is removed. Would have though that removal of crud, is just as important as renewal of oil.

Obviously easier and cheaper for dealer to change oil this way, but is it really any better, or even no worse than the traditional method?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
sucking out engine oil - Dynamic Dave
Obviously easier and cheaper for dealer to change oil this way, but is it really any better, or even no worse than the traditional method?

The discussion came up about it's merits as well in the following thread.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=36095

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=36095&...e

I'm sure there are others, but this was the first hit the forum search found.

sucking out engine oil - drbe
OK. Fine. Where do we buy the Topsider in the UK?

Ebay has one, located in the USA.
sucking out engine oil - henry k

>>
I have no idea but you can use an alternative device available in the UK.
IIRC there are details in the links in the earlier posting.
sucking out engine oil - jacks

www.cdet.co.uk/catalogue/product/default.asp?produ...0

www.toolmix.com/browse/product.asp?gid=987&pid=615...1

www.knighton-tools.co.uk/acatalog/oilfluidextracto...l

sucking out engine oil - Hamsafar
I got one off ebay for about £40 all inc, it was from a boating chandler. It looked the same but was a different make (clone)
It's excellent and has been used for all mannner of things, not just changing the oil. It even sucked detritous out of teh bottom of the pond.
sucking out engine oil - Manatee
Reminded again by this thread that I meant to get one of these, I have just ordered the Pela 6000 from Seamark Nunn, thanks to Multimeter's link posted in one of the earlier threads.

www.seamarknunn.co.uk/catalog/subcat473.htm

My car holds 6.5l of oil so I hope it can be done in instalments - I was too tight to buy the 6.5l Pela at twice the price.
sucking out engine oil - quizman
I have always changed the oil and filter on my cars. I know it has been done properly with the correct oil, and I have enjoyed doing it.

Now I have got a Focus TDCI and a Passat, and I cannot do either because of the plastic trays underneath. Last year I bought some Magnatec 5W/30 and filter, jacked the Focus up, put stands under, took out several torx screws, but I couldn't get to the screws up the side. I gave up and took the car to my local garage who did it for me for £25. I noticed that the mechanic had difficulty in getting the plastic tray off, even though the car was on a ramp, I would never have got it off.

This year I bought a Pelo pump, but before sucking the oil out , I looked for the filter and of course you have to remove the sump tray to get at it! So off to the garage again.

However success with the Passat, I could get to the filter, so having bought 4 litres of SLX Longlife 11 and filter, I sucked the oil out having warmed the engine up first. I was worried that the pump wouldn't get all the oil out, but it took the full 4 litres and the oil looks nice and clean.

So in my case the only way to change the oil in my Passat is to suck, and the Focus, well it will have to go to the garage.

I wish that things were a bit simpler these days.
sucking out engine oil - Happy Blue!
I took my Subaru to a local independent for an oil change last year. The mechanic was very complementary about the car, as the under engine tray had a flap (which opened with a broad flat blade driver) to reveal the oil filter and sump plug.

I shall go back there for an oil change in a few thousand miles time.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
sucking out engine oil - P 2501
Very happy with my pela 6000. I would advise sucking out the oil when hot as all the crud is then in suspension and is thinner, so is removed easier.

It is very effective, takes 5 minutes and removes very nearly all of the oil in the sump. My accord has a capacity of 4.2L and i removed almost exactly that.

Worth 30 quid IMO.
sucking out engine oil - Keith S
Anyone tried one of these things? Seems a lot cheaper than the Pela.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELUXE-SIPHON-SYPHON-TRANSFER-PUMP-...m
sucking out engine oil - turbo11
This is ok if the particles of crud stay suspended in the oil,but you will not get as much removed as you would if draining out the bottom.