Golf '96 Glowplug light flashing - Dante24
Hello All

I have a Golf TDi '96. Recently after a short journey on the motorway the glowplug light began to flash. Does anybody have any idea as to what the possible reasons might be?
Is it dangerous to continue to drive it? I've just been for a drive now but it didn't flash, it seems to be intermittent.

Thanks in advance.
Golf '96 Glowplug light flashing - bert-j
Check to see if your brake lights are working. Sounds crazy but the brake light switch sends a signal to the ECU as part of the safety system so you can't brake and accelerate at the same time. Brake light switch failure is very common. Or possible that both brake light bulbs have failed.
Golf '96 Glowplug light flashing - julian_greenwood
You might have a fault code logged in the ecu. You need to take it to a garage with a computer or fault code reader to interrogate the ecu. If the ecu detects a malfunction with the engine it flashes the glow plug light. Common faults are over boost (does the car drive normally), brake light switch failure, and glow plug failure
Golf '96 Glowplug light flashing - Dante24
Thanks for that. To be honest that was what I was wandering; whether it registers a fault or not.
Golf '96 Glowplug light flashing - bhoy wonder
I had this exact same problem on my golf (2001). As bert-j says it turned out to be a problem with the brake light switch.
Golf '96 Glowplug light flashing - Robble
Yes same here. There are two switches. One had fallen off and was dangling on its bit of wire, popped it back in light stopped flashing. Good luck.

PS The flashing light can mean other things as well. I think it flashes when the ECU registers a fault code.