1987 Renault 5 ... cutting-out - jojojo
My Renault is no longer starting. For the past two weeks it has been cutting out whilst I've been driving. To start with it would re-start staright away. Then it would take a couple of minutes before it re-started. Then it was pot luck whether it starts before the AA man arrives.

The AA man has been checking the electrics. First suggestion was a new remix(?) box so he re-wired around it to get a charge through. It cut-out the following day so he (the same AA man) created a new link from a charge he found from something not being used. This week the AA man (a new one) couldn't find any charge by the coil at all so ran a lead from the battery to get me home and there my Renault sits. This AA man suggests it is the ignition switch. But is it? They've asked me if there is something that disables the charge and both of them tried hitting various parts of the car (quite amusing methodology).

The man in the garage I use says he probably can't help without charging a fortune to diagnose. I don't mind paying to get something fixed, I'm just worried about spending a lot of money on diagnosis that leads to mounting expenses when the car is worth so little (it has 70,000 on the clock). So if anyone out there can offer their ideas it would really help.

Thank you

JJJ
1987 Renault 5 ... cutting-out - Peter D
This sounds like a fracture in the cable harness or in fact a faulty ingnition switch. If you tuen the ignition on now what is any lights come on on the dash. Regards Peter
1987 Renault 5 ... cutting-out - jojojo
Hi Peter D

Yes the lights do come on, on the dash.

Thanks for your help.

JJJ