VW display panel messages - blackadder
I was hapy to save hundreds of pounds by servicing my VW Touran at a private garage instead of a VW dealer but not quite so thrilled to learn that he was not able to clear the 'Service Now!' message from the screen. According to my local VW dealer I must pay 20 pounds for him to connect his computer to the engine and clear the message. He would also like me to come in at 7am so that the computer is available. Wait a minute...if I'm a paying customer...? Anyway - is there a way of configuring the message system manually, via PC etc? I also need to change the screen language from German to English so that I don't keep getting messages saying 'place towel on deckchair' etc etc
VW display panel messages - picnic
According to this site.

webpages.charter.net/baldy/rialta/vw/sr_light.htm

You can clear this and Service Oil throught the trip reset button.
VW display panel messages - nick62
You dont need a computer to reset the service indicator. All good garages should have a copy of a very large reference book which tells them how do do this on every make/model!

I don't know exactly how to do this, but it is usually a combination of the trip rest button and the ignition switch (key). Something like press the trip reset and hold it whilst turning-on the ingnition. But don't take my word for it, check first.

I would say you will need the computer (i.e. VW Garage) to switch the language from German to English though.
VW display panel messages - adverse camber
Nick is right that the autodata references include full info on resets and any decent garage should have a copy.

If you want to do your own stuff and to have access to diagnostics then the best thing is VAG-COM from Ross Technology.

The basic early version is available as freeware - but will only let you read, not modify.

www.ross-tech.com/

Their web site is a bit rubbish, but their kit is excellent. It does everything the main dealer can, not like the generic obd code readers.
VW display panel messages - Dr Rubber
Resetting the service display is not too dificult, but will revert the car to time/distance rather than long life. Your manual may tell you how to do it (mine does, but I don't have to hand).
To switch from German to english you will need their computer.
Joe
VW display panel messages - Altea Ego
"I was hapy to save hundreds of pounds by servicing my VW Touran at a private garage instead of a VW dealer"

As A VW dealer I would then be happy to say to you

"Take it to a garage that is properly equiped to deal with your Volkswagen. As it appears you have taken ot to a garage that does not have the equipment or the skills to properly service your car please kiss your warranty goodbye"

Goodbye Sir

Click

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
VW display panel messages - blackadder
Yes, well, I'm certainly not going to doubt that you work for VW. To all other forum members who responded may I say thank you.

In all seriousness I find it pretty insulting the way that car manufacturers claim lower and lower sell prices when in fact the cost of ownership has exploded over the last few years due to the ludicrous cost of parts and service. And while we're at it, as a VW dealer perhaps you can explain to me why I was suddenly advised to start using 98 octane fuel to turn off the EPC lamp on the instrument panel? Another hidden cost...oh well, I'll probably take it to the guy who serviced it and ask him, at least he greets me with a smile.

Finally, interesting to note that VW wanted to charge me 20 quid to extinguish the Service Indicator - which can 'only be done by computer'. He must have forgotten that it's possible to do it in 10 seconds using the odometer button...or perhaps he didn't forget...no, surely not.
VW display panel messages - Adam {P}
Ford charge you 80 quid to program a key that you can do yourself with the car's ignition.

Not unique to VW sadly.
VW display panel messages - Dr Rubber
If you have an FSI petrol then 98 RON is a good idea anyway. Why this should switch off the EPC warning light I don't know. I ran a 1.6FSI touran on 95 RON without incident for a couple of months (soon switched to 98 RON for performance/economy reasons). How old is your 'ran. Less than 2 years its still in warranty, so your dealer may look into it for you. Over this, then you are out of luck on this front.

As for the service light - if you want longlife servicing, then the dealer has to reset the computer. If you want fixed intervals, anybody can do it.

And no I don't work for VW, I just have one. And dealer rates are sky high (£180 for an oil change -aghhhh!), but I don't have a choice if I want to keep the 3 year warranty!

Joe
VW display panel messages - bk.bas
It's not true that you need to have your VW serviced at a franchised dealer if you want to keep the 3 year warranty (whatever VW might tell you). Any competant garage can service it as long as they follow VW standards and use VW parts. I take mine to Grantleys in Basingstoke...a brilliant/ helpful/ friendly/ reasonabley priced Independant VW/Audi service centre .
A garage that does not have the ability to reset the service indicator does not follow VW standards....
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
You expect to take the car somewhere else and then get VW to reset it for you for nothing?

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >