Selling MiL's 98 Polo auto - local yokel
It's soon time for my 81 yo MiL to give up driving.

She has a one owner 98S 1.4 Polo L auto, 5 dr, with less than 20k. Mix of VW and independant SH, good for year etc.

Do we

a) have the hassle of a private sale via Autotrader (we live 30 mins away, and she won't want to be involved)

b) put it into a local car auction, eg Witney

c) put it on eBay

d) tout it round the local independant car dealers

Parkers suggest a 98S with 70k is worth £1695 in good cond. in a private sale - can't see that the mileage improves the value much, if at all. Most its journeys over the last two years have been 500yds (return, not each way) to the hairdressers once a week...
Selling MiL's 98 Polo auto - Xileno {P}
"Most its journeys over the last two years have been 500yds (return, not each way) to the hairdressers once a week..."

I wouldn't draw attention to that, it's the worst possible thing you can do to a car short of throwing it off a cliff.
Selling MiL's 98 Polo auto - DrS
I support Xileno's idea: Throw it off of a cliff.
Selling MiL's 98 Polo auto - Xileno {P}
Not quite what I was saying, but never mind.
Selling MiL's 98 Polo auto - bell boy
put it in autotrader with a spiffing advert making great use of low mileage, owner retiring immaculate ,etc and ask £1695 no offers and try it for a week i think you will get a bite .
"
I wouldn't draw attention to that, it's the worst possible thing you can do to a car short of throwing it off a cliff."

Indeed - I won't mention it - but the SH will show that she's done v few miles of late.

Some quite good prices on eBay, mind you - £1850 for 98 1.4L 3dr manual just the other day - not sure that the auto is that attractive at that end of the market.
Selling MiL's 98 Polo auto - BobbyG
You could try a different tact!!

Find out what paper elderly folk read, and advertise it there. Low mileage, small automatic car, been used by one of their own age group for so long. They will think its perfect for them as well!!!
Selling MiL's 98 Polo auto - Happy Blue!
I assume it has PAS?

If so, it would the perfect car for another OAP. Try to find someone with a mother aged about 70 who still drives and needs a change of car.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Selling MiL's 98 Polo auto - madf
Aim at first time buyer: cheap insurance..
madf
Selling MiL's 98 Polo auto - Adam {P}
Who'd want an auto though?
Selling MiL's 98 Polo auto - Bill Payer
I assume it has PAS?
If so, it would the perfect car for another OAP.
Try to find someone with a mother aged about 70 who
still drives and needs a change of car.
--

Absolutely - my MIL swopped her Corsa 6 mths ago because 'she had to have an auto'. She's driven it....once! But some old people feel they *have* to have their cars. There aren't many small auto's around.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cars lack of use. *We* all know that's bad, but the average punter will think it's marvellous that the cars hardly been used.

Old people swopping into Auto's is a lethal combination though, as has been discussed here several times. So if you do sell it privately, make sure there's a clear path for the new owner to drive it away, without any reversing required!

Selling MiL's 98 Polo auto - Bill Payer
One other thought is that the guy who does the independant servicing might know a suitable buyer from his existing customer base.
She's in Hungerford - avg. age >65, IMHO, so plenty of takers I guess.

Think I'll ad it in the Newbury Weekly News and TV Autotrader on the same Thursday, and tell people who call I'll be there all day Sat for viewing.
Selling MiL's 98 Polo auto - David Horn
So change the oil and plugs and give it a good thrashing, and it'll probably be just fine. A bargain for another OAP. Has she tried asking around her friends at coffee mornings etc. (Yeah, horribly stereotyped but worth a try!)
Selling MiL's 98 Polo auto - Aprilia
Do as Oldman suggests - in Autotrader at £1695 firm (or £1795 if you're feeling lucky). I will guarantee it will go quickly. The market for small autos is surprisingly strong and low miles always helps. make sure it is clean and tidy and smells nice inside!
Selling MiL's 98 Polo auto - BobL
I was at Witney car auction 2 months back when a Polo 97/R 3 door 1.9cl diesel went though. It was silver, 5 months ticket, 6 months tax, service history, 100K, had bits of rust all round and the fan didn`t work. I was interested but it went way over my set price. It looked like it went to a private punter and his daughter for £1625. The buyers premium on top!. May be worth taking your MiL`S car to the auctions if that is the sort of price achieved. I bought very similar on ebay for £950 with 70K on the clock
Selling MiL's 98 Polo auto - Pezzer
Why not try ebay with whatever reserve you feel happy with. If you get a nibble at least you can then arrange collection and money etc at your mutual convenience along with any queries from prospective buyers. If it doesnt sell then no harm done.