High Mileage Cars - Mick
Looking in Autotrader I am always amazed to see so many cars with in excess of 100000 miles. We do about 6000 a year in our car and I can never understand how say a T reg can have 130000 miles on the clock.

I would like to hear war stories from the Backroom Gang of any high mileage cars they have.

Also if you see a car on the forecourt (apart from MOTs and all the usual things like pedal pad wear etc) is there any sure way you can really tell whether or not a car has been clocked?
Re: High Mileage Cars - The Real Bogush
It depends on what you use the car for.

In one particularly bad year I did 50,000. And that was just "home to work" mileage. If you are actually driving all day as part of your job it soon clocks up.

HJ can probably tell you more, but the "average" 10 - 12k pa is the average of lots of new repmobiles doing silly (for the driver) mileages, and lots of older cars doing shopping and school runs.

The problem arises when you get a new car that does lots of shopping and school runs.
Re: High Mileage Cars - Cliff Pope
It all depends what you do, obviously. I used to do about 6000 a year, but then I commuted into work by train or bike. Now I drive 40 miles each way (rural area, no public transport), so straight away that's 400 miles a week, 20,000 a year, without even considering holidays, shopping, weekend, etc. And that's a small mileage by today's standards.

I bought a 93 Volvo with 180,000 on the clock, and now its just passed 250,000. It feels just like new. If I wound 100,000 off the clock I honestly don't think anyone could tell.

I always think a high mileage in a short time is a good buying point - lots of fast driving, engine well warmed up, less likelihood of slow short journeys with a cold engine =long engine life. And high-mileage cars are cheap.

I'll report again if I get to 300,000, but as the world-record Volvo mileage is 1.8million I've a way to go yet!
Re: High Mileage Cars - Honest John
We had the story of the 500,000 mile Astra in the news last week. I've also heard from a bloke who is expecting 400k out of his Lexus LS400. And that's on top of a couple of 500,000 mile VWs, a 650,000 mile Subaru, the million mile Mobil 1 BMW 325 E30, the million plus mile Merc taxi in Tenerife, and that bloke from New York's Volvo P1800 which has done about 4,000,000 miles.

HJ
Re: High Mileage Cars - Rob Govier
91H Pug 405 1.9GRD 239,000 same engine, weeping headgasket since 225,000. Driveshafts and clutch just replaced.

Local taxi firm had several that did 300,000.

Bought by me in 94 at 88K FSH. Company car for hosiery firm. Lots of chips on the bonnet leading edge indicating sustained high speed.

rg
Re: High Mileage Cars - Mark
My Maestro van 280000m, did put a 111000m turbo engine in at 245000m.Just passed MOT today again-listen to what HJ says-oil/filter change at 3000m intervals!!!
Should be 93K, but watch out for me up & down M1 , reg VAN 580Y.
Re: High Mileage Cars - Rob S
I bought my ex-repmobile 1989 Cavalier SRi in June 2002 with 83500 miles on the clock and a full service history, intending to keep it for 5 years and run it into the ground. Nearly 10 years later it has done 311K I still drive around 20K pa in it, around 8K is business and the rest is personal. It is still the original engine and gearbox and has never had the head off. The water pumps lasted 150K, the radiator 280K, the clutch 306K and it is on the 4th set of shockers. I have changed oil and filter every 5K and had the local Tune-up man service it every 10K, the last few years have seen me hand most other repairs and maintenance over to a local garage. It has returned over 35 mpg despite enthustiastic driving around Cumbria and frequent long trips with the family, bike and roof box.

It let us down once, in the rain, at night during the October half term on the very busy elevated section of the M5 at Birmingham, when the crank angle sensor packed in. Oh, and I did have a flat battery in Brecon as well.

I can't complain but I will, it's on it's third electric aerial, the air flow meter has caused problems with tickover when starting from hot for quite a few years (£380 to replace so I have put up with it!) and it used to be very jerky at low speed due to the fuel cut-off (cured by changing the fuel valve to a Power Boost version).............OK, I know I'm going on bit too much!

Just goes to show what an excellent motor the GM 2 litre 8 valve is, how much longer it will last is anyones guess. The bodywork is showing signs of rust around the wheel arches and bonnet edge and it is now 2-tone after needing a door on either side replacing following unprovoked attacks and a cheap paint job, the interior is also quite tatty but with 3 kids ..........

I think I've rambled on for long enough now!

Rob
Re: High Mileage Cars - boost
Sierra estate pool car we had years ago did 97,000 in 9 months from new. Nothing broke, mind you it was only ever switched off to get serviced.

The highest milers I saw at auction were 350k on a old Volvo 244 and lots of Bluebirds with 250k plus. You can't beat petrol Nissans I reckon.
Re: High Mileage Cars - boost
So oil changes every 3k is nearly 100 engine oil and I presume filters changes. Over 280k that must have cost 2 grand unless you use £3 supermarket oil.
What did the last engine fail of out of interest?
Re: High Mileage Cars - Leslie
Rob S,
You have demonstrated exactly why most of us shy away from high mileage bangers. Far from demonstrating the virtues of the Cavalier I think that is close to a motoring horror story.

Most of us want to get in a car and drive it - period. Every 10K to a garage for servicing and that is it.

Sure I have lost much more in depreciation than you have paid in repairs - but for me and many more it is worth it. I have also had ABS, Air Bags etc and would have felt a little safer than in an 89 Cavalier.

Sorry

L
Re: High Mileage Cars - Rob S
Leslie,

No need to apologise, I know that not everyone is content to run around in a 12 year old car without lots of the mod cons, but I can't agree that it's a horror story. Don't forget that all the details I crammed in to a short message represent nearly 10 years of ownership, the fact that I have just been able to get into it and drive anywhere with the utmost confidence is why I still have it. I am sure there are many car owners out there who have had to carry out the same amount of work on a car with one third the mileage. And changing the oil and filter every 5K is hardly onerous!

Each to their own.

Rob
Re: Rob S.'s imaginary Cavalier - alex
Rob is having you on. He is foretelling that he is going to buy in June 2002!!