Rover 25TD or Alfa 147 or keep 214 - bbroomlea{P}
Looking for a bit of advise. Thinking of changing girlfriends 214si for either of the above as she has now tripled her commute distance and will be doing at least 25K a year.

Now, do I (1) keep current car with 110K for another 3 years and pay for any repairs should they need doing

(2) buy something I have always wanted - Alfa 147 Tspark thats a couple of years old. Reliability and cost of repairs a drawback?

or

(3) buy a new/6 month old new shape 25TD (think ZR version is too expensive) for the same cost as the Alfa.

Am really looking to ensure she will get to work and back reliably (90% motorway) and for as little expense over 4 years as possible - will depreciation be cheaper that fixing things on the old 214 as they come up??

Any advise/opinions really appreciated

Thanks in advance
Rover 25TD or Alfa 147 or keep 214 - Armitage Shanks {p}
Re item (2). Is your relationship with your girlfriend such that you can buy a car for her to commute in that YOU have always wanted. If it is for your delight and she is commuting in it 5 days a week you aren't going to get much use of it and is it the sort of car that she would want to commute in? Who is paying for it obviously comes into it somewhere too!
Rover 25TD or Alfa 147 or keep 214 - Xileno {P}
Heart says Alfa, head says Rover.
The Rover will be the cheapest to run and probably more reliable, although well maintained Alfas can give good service. The Rover has the old L Series direct injection engine, it's fast and economical but by the latest standards it's also noisy and suffers noticable turbo lag. However, it is a tough engine, no head gasket worries on these.

What about something like a Pug 206/306 with the nice HDi engine?
We will both be paying but we have an agreement, she does the house and I do the cars and garden..goes down very well!

Although it would be used during the week by her, come the weekend I would dump my 75 and use the Alfa instead!

>>What about something like a Pug 206/306 with the nice HDi engine?

If it wasnt the alfa and dont keep current 214 then it would be the 25. Dont have any confidence in French reliablilty (everyone I know that runs/has run PSA or Renault have had expensive issues long term)

Would be interested in comments about keeping current car..would it work out cheaper and do the distance?

Maybe keep the 214 then, they are decent enough cars but watch the head gasket, a known weak spot on the K Series.
If you keep the 214, HJ mentioned a modification kit:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=37237&...e
>>watch the head gasket,

It was done at 91K with an uprated gasket, water pump and radiator so am hoping it will be the last time it needs doing!

Think it might be the cheapest option in terms of service/depreciation and has been very reliable over the last 4 years.

Any bets that it will get to 185K!!

Rover 25TD or Alfa 147 or keep 214 - Civic8
I would never bet on a K series reaching this,though some do(few and far),would though on 25td good units and cannot say I have heard many complaints(well nothing serious) just minor niggles..Just my thoughts
--
Steve
"Any bets that it will get to 185K!!"

No.

done some sums and decided to keep the car and hopefully get a couple of more years out of it - with servicing and depreciation on a new car a lot has got to go wrong before I break even let alone any unforseen costs on the new one - in theory should make a heafty profit as 40 miles a day will be claimed on expenses at 38p a mile for the first 12 months and 12p after that!

Will keep the oil fresh and give it its annual clean and see how long it will last!! hopefully wont have to post too often in technical!