Technology Jump - Peter D
I am considering selling my 1993 240SE Estate and buying an XC70 2.5 T Estate I have been offered. Clearly a big step in technology. Anyone got any views about the XC70 it's 3 years old and done 110k motorway miles, but it is mint. FVWSH and appears to have had no repairs just the standard services. Comments welcome. Regards Peter
Technology Jump - adverse camber
I would check two things.

Volvo's early awd system was unreliable. Having different brands on tyres on different axles could break it, as could having tyres with different amounts of wear. They later went with (I think) the haldex system. People can get very large bills. If this is the earlier system be very careful, check the warranty will cover it - and get something from the warranty people about what they consider the life of the transmission to be - otherwise you can get them saying things like 'well its 3/4 of the way through its 150K life, so we will only pay 1/4 the cost - the rest is betterment'.

If the xc is anything like the current v70 then it has a turning circle only slightly smaller than the QE2. This might not matter to you, it could be a real pain.
Technology Jump - mikeyb
I dont know much about the AWD system, but your comments sound the same as for Audis quattro system - the handbook is most explicit that you must replace the tyres on each axle together with identical new tyres to avoid transmission damage