Annoying bongs and bleeps. - Imagos
I think that i've come across the ultimate annoying bleeping bonging noise in a car.

Drive the current Toyota Avensis but dont put your seat belt on at your peril. Starts off slowly then high pitched ding ding ding!!! Highly irritating and enough to put me off otherwise a fine car.

Yes i know always wear your belt but i was only moving the car in our works yard.

Why do we need an annoying reminder if we

1 Dont belt up

2 Handbrake left on

3 Door ajar.

Where will it end?

Do we really need reminding with annoying sounds that we are stupid?
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - blue_haddock
A lot of cars now have seat belt warning alarms it's not limited just to Toyota's.
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - Imagos
A lot of cars now have seat belt warning alarms it's
not limited just to Toyota's.

That's correct but the Avensis (and maybe other Toyotas?) seat belt warning device is head and shoulders worse and louder than any other car i've been in.

Totally over the top, A discreet one will suffice.
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - moosh
These warning alarms first appeared in cars in the USA market many years ago,probably as a result of drivers claiming of manufacturers.

Now everyone has to listen to these infernal alarms.
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - Clanger
I suspect that we, the folk who read and post here, do not generally need spurious sounds to remind us of what should be obvious. However, they, the mentally challenged who use their vehicles as journey appliances without thought or consideration for other road users or the rules of the road, do need nannying throughout their motoring life and will continue to need more and more reminders and assistance. I would like to see voice reminders with a bit of spirit played through the radio eg
"It's dark now stupid, 12 cars have flashed you, put your lights on", "Turn your rear fogs off, it hasn't been foggy for 10 days, idiot" and "If you don't switch off the rear wiper, the motor will cook, costing you £253.72. Never mind, it's your money".
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - Bill Payer
Seat belt warning is required to meet part of the NCAP spec.
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - Hamsafar
GPWS on planes are worse (Bank angle, glide slope, gear, too-low, terrain, pull-up etc...), but probably the shape of things to come on cars. :(
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - Bromptonaut
Door open or handbrake left on a notch you can do by accident. But 99.99% of no seatbelt driving is intentional, reversing or whatever.
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - David Horn
Surely the GPWS is a good thing, given that the ground is very hard and hurts when you crash into it. I once heard a terrain warning triggered on final approach, though, so I could see how it might be a little disconcerting as the plane is flared for touchdown.
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - Civic8
>>Drive the current Toyota Avensis but dont put your seat belt on at your peril.

volvos going back years had annoying warning light and sound,how many seconds does it take to put belt on anyway ie if you dont like it dont drive it-warning applies to you as well as those that test drive the car.cannot see what the moan is about,its for your own good
--
Steve
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - wantone
I do not see a problem with seat belt alarms.
I have them in my golf but never hear them because the first thing i do is clunk klick!
Even when reversing out of the garage i hear it, but its not a problem because like most alarms there for safety.Annoying but?
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - antonios gubba
My Mustang has this feature, and when I first got the car it drove me round the bend, as to be honest I never wear my belt (naughty I know, but my choice). Every 20 seconds for a full ten minutes there would be a very loud bing bing bing and a red light flashing on the dash.

After a bit of research on the net I discovered that this feature can be turned off permanently. On my car I had to turn the ignition key a certain amount of times on and off and then buckle and unbuckle the belt so many times....it worked, and hasn't BINGED at me since. I'm pretty sure the Avensis will also have a procedure to disable the feature.
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - NARU
After a bit of research on the net I discovered that
this feature can be turned off permanently. On my car I
had to turn the ignition key a certain amount of times
on and off and then buckle and unbuckle the belt so
many times....it worked, and hasn't BINGED at me since. I'm pretty
sure the Avensis will also have a procedure to disable the
feature.

The Current-shape Mondeo definately does - its a combination involving the ignition and the door locks. One of the first things I did when I got the car, along with setting the doors to autolock when I moved off.
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - Bill Payer
My Mustang has this feature, and when I first got the
car it drove me round the bend, as to be honest
I never wear my belt (naughty I know, but my choice).
Every 20 seconds for a full ten minutes there would be
a very loud bing bing bing and a red light flashing
on the dash.
After a bit of research on the net I discovered that
this feature can be turned off permanently. On my car I
had to turn the ignition key a certain amount of times
on and off and then buckle and unbuckle the belt so
many times....it worked, and hasn't BINGED at me since. I'm pretty
sure the Avensis will also have a procedure to disable the
feature.

I wonder how long it will be before the family of a dead Mustang driver sue Ford for allowing the seat-belt warning to be disabled?
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - cheddar
I wonder how long it will be before the family of
a dead Mustang driver sue Ford for allowing the seat-belt warning to be disabled?

Or perhaps the family of the 2nd owner of the Mustang suing the first owner for disabling the warning.
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - NowWheels
volvos going back years had annoying warning light and sound, how many
seconds does it take to put belt on anyway

When I was a teenager in the 1970s, cycling my way around town, I was always amused to see the number of Volvos whose owners evidently disliked these gadgets -- they had both front seatbelts fastened, but routed around behind the seats. That way the warnings were silenced and the occupants didn't have to endure the protection of a belt :(

Personally, I never even start an engine without fastening my seatbelt, so those buzzers don't bug me. And I refuse to move off until my passengers are belted in -- but the warnings are useful when passengers are reluctant to fasten their belts.
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - Armitage Shanks {p}
The warnings don't work on the rear seat belts do they? If they did they'd be going off all the time when you didn't have passengers!
The warnings don't work on the rear seat belts do they?
If they did they'd be going off all the time
when you didn't have passengers!

Toyota ones only work on the front seats - they operate by having sensors in the seats so they can tell if someone is sat on the seat so if no weight is detected on the passenger seat the alarm does not go off. However it only takes something like a heavy handbag or a laptop bag to make it think there is someone sat on the seat.
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - L'escargot
Where will it end?

4. Open door while lights are still on.
--
L\'escargot.
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - cheddar
Door open or handbrake left on a notch you can do by accident. But 99.99% of no seatbelt driving is intentional, reversing or whatever.

Precisely, so bings and bongs can save a flat battery etc however seatbelt wearing should really be commonsense like driving on the left etc. I had a '77 Dolomite Sprint with a seatbelt warning light, it went off when I buckled up though came on again if someone sat on the passenger seat until they also buckled up. Clever for its day though my Mondeo disables the passenger airbag if it detects a too light passenger on the front passenger seat when the seatbelt is buckled, it did it when I put my brief case on the front seat next to me and secured it with the seatbelt.

Annoying bongs and bleeps. - AlastairW
Cheddar, my uncle found you could stop the warnings in his dolomite by shoving a screwdriver in the seatbelt buckle. (This was in about 1980 - only boring people wore seatbelts in those days)
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
Some noises are useful.

>4. Open door while lights are still on.

SWMBO wished that the CRV had one of those.
She called the RAC out three times that I know of (might be more, but she stopped telling me!) to sort out a flat battery.

Then I did it once and stopped laughing at her.
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - CGNorwich

5 select reverse - Chrysler P T Cruiser
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - mare
Why do we need an annoying reminder if we
1 Dont belt up
2 Handbrake left on
3 Door ajar.
Where will it end?
Do we really need reminding with annoying sounds that we are
stupid?

Yes because people are stupid, and drive around with no seatbelt on, handbrake on and the door ajar!
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - MoneyMart
Quote : "GPWS on planes are worse (Bank angle, glide slope, gear, too-low, terrain, pull-up etc...), but probably the shape of things to come on cars. :("

How ON EARTH can GPWS (Ground Proximity Warning System be WORSE????!!!!

"Whoopwhoop pull up" sounds when there is an excessive rate of descent and/or terrain closure - i.e. when the aircraft is in danger of crashing into the ground!

"Too low terrain" occurs when erm... the aircraft is too low and is in danger of crashing into surrounding ground!

"Glide-slope" sounds when the aircraft is deviating from an instrument landing (usually in bad weather) and is therefore moving outside the predetermined flight path for a safe landing.

"Gear" (which isn't a GPWS sound) is a noise made when the aircraft detects a landing configuration (i.e. flaps at maximum) but the landing gear hasn;t been put down and therefore if a landing continues a gear-up (or belly) landing will occur causing tens of thousands (or as much as millions) of pounds worth of damage to the aircraft, plus significant risk of fire and loss of life.

I can't really see how you think any of these are "worse" than the seatbelt reminder or door ajar warnings in a car!!!!!
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - mare
I can't really see how you think any of these are
"worse" than the seatbelt reminder or door ajar warnings in a
car!!!!!

Nor can I. In fact glorified sensors in the front bumper which senses how close you are to the car in front and gives you an annoying / stern warning could eliminate tailgating.

Until someone susses out how to disable it!
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - CGNorwich

These things don't necessarily work though. I recall that last recorded words of Spanish speaking pilot of AVIANCA jet made in response to PULL UP PULL UP alert were "Shut up Gringo" This seconds before Plane crashed into Andes mounains
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - annie1
hi ive got a cmax and ihave 4 bleeps which drive me insane!
one for no seatbelt.one for lights left on,one for low screen wash one for low outside temterature and one for low fuel.
why do we need these? i know when i havent got my belt on and i always turn off my lights...if i could find out where the speaker was id rip it out!
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - lordy
I have an annoying screech that comes from the passenger seat of my Accord. Usually only at weekends.
--
let me be the last to let you down....
hi ive got a cmax and ihave 4 bleeps which drive
me insane!
one for no seatbelt.one for lights left on,one for low screen
wash one for low outside temterature and one for low fuel.
why do we need these? i know when i havent got
my belt on and i always turn off my lights...if i
could find out where the speaker was id rip it out!

If you always turn off your lights, then that beep won't annoy you.

And if you know that you haven't got your belt on, then presumably you also know that you should have it on and promptly do so ... so where's the problem?
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - Big Bad Dave
"Why do we need an annoying reminder if we
1 Dont belt up
2 Handbrake left on
3 Door ajar.
Where will it end?
Do we really need reminding with annoying sounds that we are stupid?"

Strikes me that if Brian Harvey?s car (from 90s pop sensation band East 17) had had a bleep for all three of those eventualities, he might not have fallen out of his car and reversed over himself while reaching to pick up a discarded Big Mac.
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - Group B
On my Saab 9-3, when I lock the car it gives a fairly discreet honk of the normal car horn. But when I unlock the boot using the key fob, it gives 2 annoyingly loud beeps of the alarm.
Apparently the alarm beeps can be switched off by service personnel when plugged into the diagnostic system, but I've never got round to having it done. Some warning settings can be configured on the dashboard SID (Saab Info. Display).

You could enquire at a main dealer whether some of the internal noises can be switched off?
What is useful is an 'alert' bong in the event of a warning light activating. Berlingo does this for low fuel and doubtless the same for more critical warnings such as overheat.
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - Craig_1969
My Beemer bongs when the temp drops below 3 degrees, handy or annoying depending on your point of view.

The seatbelt bong is worth a star on the NCAP test from memory.

I found this interesting link:

www.etsc.be/ETSC_3_May_SBR.php
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - The Lawman
I don't mind my car beeping and bonging for certain things (like low fuel, lights left on etc) but I understand the whole seatbelt thing. There's just something really annoying about being told off by a machine!
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - madf
I think these warnings prevent the Darwinisation of the species (i.e weeding out those too stoopid to use seatbelts:-)
madf
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - Adam {P}
All modern high spec Fords can have the seatbelt alarm activated or deactivated depending on how it came out of the factory.

The door (or rather boot) warning light has saved me a few times.
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - Xileno {P}
My Renault has loads bongs, bleeps and lights. The seat belt one is great, it starts off at a fairly low pitched bleep for about 30 secs, then it gets really high pitched and annoying. You just have to put the belt on...

Some Renaults have the tyre pressure sensors as well, my Laguna did but I haven't got it on the Megane.
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - Dynamic Dave
then it gets really high pitched and annoying. You just have to put the belt on...

Alternately reach across for the passenger seat belt and put that into the clip on your seat instead. I found this the best way to shut up the pool car's ding dong (Focus) at work when using it for short start stop trips. The other trick is to put the seatbelts into their clips first, then get in and sit on the belts if you've also got a passenger making the same short start stop trips.
If it's that annoying Dave, I can tell you how to deactivate it. But you'll feel like a right plonker doing it.
Better not Adam. As it's a pool car, other people have to use it and someone is bound to query who's been tinkering.
Probably for the best. It involves turning the lights on numerous times and clipping/unclipping the belt an awful lot. (Whilst standing on one leg and whistling).
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - mfarrow
So it's not the same as for the mondeo?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=26110&...e

--------------
Mike Farrow
Er... yes - which if I'm not mistaken, says what I said it would. Bar the whilsting and one leg of course. That's only on Ghia models.
Er... yes - which if I'm not mistaken, says what I
said it would.

Yes sorry it does, but it took me from 21:39 to find the old thread :-)

--------------
Mike Farrow
Quite alright - I actually thought you were taking the mick! ;-)
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - MoneyMart
Dynamic Dave : "The other trick is to put the seatbelts into their clips first, then get in and sit on the belts if you've also got a passenger making the same short start stop trips."

Surely it's easier tyo just wear a seatbelt?

You know... Like you're supposed to?

You know... Like it was designed for?

You know... Like the law says you have to?

IFAIK there is an exception for start stop deliveries; milkmen or posties sort of job.
>> Surely it's easier tyo just wear a seatbelt?
>>
>> You know... Like you're supposed to?
>>
>> You know... Like it was designed for?
>>
>> You know... Like the law says you have to?
IFAIK there is an exception for start stop deliveries; milkmen or
posties sort of job.

And when you are jumping into and out of cars whilst moving the used car pitch around - we use the clip the seatbelt in then sit on top of the belt technique to stop them.
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - Civic8
>>And when you are jumping into and out of cars whilst moving the used car pitch around

So whats the big deal,only in the car a couple of minutes(not driving for any long period)Really cannot see what all the fuss is about,only those that will not wear a belt complain.including those that whing on about short term noises from lights etc ect,Get a life
--
Steve
>>> IFAIK there is an exception for start stop deliveries; milkmen or posties sort of job.

The law changed:-

www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advice/motorvehicles/seat...m

(about half way down the page)

"The seat belt law for van drivers and passengers changed on the 1st March in 2005. Delivery drivers used to have an exemption from wearing a seat belt when conducting ?local? deliveries although prior to this amendment there was no maximum distance specified for ?local? deliveries.

The seat belt exemption for delivery drivers now only applies when travelling 50m or less between deliveries or collections. It is hoped that this amendment will raise the wearing rates of seat belts in vans."

IFAIK there is an exception for start stop deliveries; milkmen or
posties sort of job.

It's also rather annoying for policemen, who need to keep their seatbelts off when carrying 'the accused', who may leap out of the car at any time.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Dynamic Dave : "The other trick is to put the seatbelts
into their clips first, then get in and sit on the
belts if you've also got a passenger making the same short
start stop trips."

Not when I'm having to stop every 50 or so yards to get out the car before carrying on to the next stopping point. Multiply that by a journey of about 2 miles and it's a lot of aggro to keep having to take off and put back on the belt.

I should mention that I do this on private land so the law doesn't apply.
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - Tomo
Toad the Supra bleeps away inside all the time reverse is selected, and annoys me. Now, I know when I am going backwards, but the view to the rear quarters could be better; would it not have been far more useful to have a warning OUTSIDE for the benefit of pedestrians in Brownian motion to the rear of the car?
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - AlastairW
Toad the Supra bleeps away inside all the time reverse is
selected, and annoys me. Now, I know when I am going
backwards, but the view to the rear quarters could be better;
would it not have been far more useful to have a
warning OUTSIDE for the benefit of pedestrians in Brownian motion to
the rear of the car?

Unfortunately such warnings are forbidden for cars. Ok for goods vehicles though.
Typical! But thanks, I had been musing.
Unfortunately such warnings are forbidden for cars. Ok for goods vehicles
though.

Are they really forbidden? What a pity -- with rearward visibility of modern cars declining (high backs on MPVs and SUVs as well as restricted visibility on the likes of the new Civic), they would seem to be an increasingly useful thing to have.
You should be able to park a car without them though. And I drive one with one of the most obscured rears (from the inside) ever!
Annoying bongs and bleeps. - David Horn
I think they're referring to warning beeps outside the vehicle to warn pedestrians, not those nifty reversing sensors.
Why would a Supra be fitted with those though?

>>Toad the Supra bleeps away inside all the time reverse is
selected,<<

I am fully prepared to wipe the smug look off my face imminently though ;-)
Toad the Supra is fitted with reversing sensors (and one on the near front as well) and there are bleeps of a different tone from them if I am getting close to things; I do not mind those at all, in fact I welcome them to "feel" when backing up to a wall, say.

It's those bleeps when reverse is selected which do no good at all which bug me; I know when I mean to go backwards (or do I need another noise to tell me when I am going forwards!?).

I hope I have clarified and not confused further.
You should be able to park a car without them though.
And I drive one with one of the most obscured
rears (from the inside) ever!

Adam, unlike the parking sensors available on some modern cars, the external boings and beeps that trucks and so on emit are not to help the driver negotiate a vehicle into place -- they are there to warn others not to stray into the large blind spots.

Internal cameras (like the Nissan Primera's) would help the driver see what's happening, but it's expensive, and thar may be why they haven't been more widely adopted. A buzzer is a cheap and simple device that would provide some extra chance of others getting out of the way of a driver who might miss people in his blindspot.

It's a bit of a hot issue in the USA.

A buzzer might have helped in this situation: tinyurl.com/9ruf2

And this one gives a broader view of the problem: www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=437...8 (it mostly efers to SUVs, but it's not an SUV-only problem)
I'm on about parking sensors not the things on trucks that go "BEEP--BEEP--BEEP" everytime they engage reverse.
Alarm every time a neighbour reverses om out of thier drive would send me nuts!

And yet, And yet, a clue that SWMBO was arriving would save me from the glare I get caught on this site!