white smoking diesel - Ford Maverick - ruddyr1
Ive had a 2.7td mark1 95/96 from new.its done 56k and only towed a small caravan recently. The past few weeks it has been running rough when first started with white smoke and misfire type feeling. yesterday when on motorway it started smokin white smoke at 2500 to 3000 revs periodically and felt as if misfiring and underpowered. Had it serviced in the summer and have used redex stuff in fuel to clean injectors and just chnaged fuel filter but still running the same.

It wont rev over 3,000 and starts smoking and spluttering at just under 2,500 revs.Feels as if misfiriing.

Runs fine when warm with no smoking up intil these revs.

Any ideas?
white smoking diesel - Xileno {P}
Maverick, Terrano?

Sounds like the turbo or head gasket.
white smoking diesel - jc
If it's a Nissan engine engine,it could be gasket.
white smoking diesel - ruddyr1
its a maverick {Added to subject header. DD}
white smoking diesel - jc
Still a Nissan engine.
white smoking diesel - Ford Maverick - gong
Is the injection pump Lucas or Roto-Diesel? If so there's a probably valid longish reply (but cheap and easy) which I'll not clutter this space up with unless it is.
aint got aclue which it is.its the original one though.And ive noticed a bit of pinking.It seems to run smooth when driving with out heavy acceleration but as sson as you near the 2500 revs it seems to misfire and plume of white smoke comes from exhaust and slight pinking noise.

will the type of pump be written anywhere?
Ive had a look at the pump, well what I think is the pump.Its is not driven by anybelts if that helps. I cant see a makers name any where on it what would indicate which type it is ?
it looks like a rotary as the injectors pipes are situated in a square position. they leave the pump from the sidenearest back of the engine compartment.

white smoking diesel - Ford Maverick - gong

Does each injector have an HP steel line and two other rubber or plastic ones.

If so, does one of the injector's rubber/plastic lines tee into a third line which comes from the side of the pump ... a banjo fitting (though does not really look it) held in place by a solenoid?

The wire to the solenoid would actually be two wires (though again does not look it.)

If so.....probably onto a winner ... and an essay on testing in situ to be certain.... If tempted to remove the solenoid do not be tempted to pull or twist its plunger!..Ask here.

If not Lucas or Roto diesel then in any case think in terms of a petrol engine's ignition advance unit sticking on/off.
I appreciate your time and knowledge.

There are just the four HP brass coloured lines running from the pump to the injectors(where spark plugs would be in the engine.)