Extended Car Warranties - oxob
Question: Are Car Warranties Worth the money???

The reason I ask is that since claiming for a gearbox with an oil leak to be fixed.(I was told that this was not covered) The motorplan policy is a Premier, one down from the top all singing and dancing platinum cover. A lot of people have told me that these warranties are not worth the paper that they are printed on. To be honest I am beginning to agree with them. If this was the case why do companies still sell them? LGH tell me that the policy is a very good one, Some how I'm not to sure???? Has anyone any thoughts on the matter. Apart from you should read the small print with a fine toothed comb and a couple of legal eagles.
Extended Car Warranties - islandman
The reason companies sell these warranties is because people buy them!! I admit to having done so myself and on the two occaisions I enquired if something was covered, surprise, surprise, it wasn't. It seems to be that if a part 'fails' it is covered but if it 'wears out' it's not. So if it 'fails' because its 'worn out' tough!
Some policies list what is covered other list what is not. The latter is most likely the best option as if it's not on the list then it must be covered. (But don't bet on it)
Extended Car Warranties - storme
it depends on where u buy the car...in my opinion.

i once had an "audi guarentee" and it was fantastic,,and it covered everything even upto the MOT...and if it failed that, it would replace everything need to pass the MOT.

BUT...a warrentie..in my opinion is awful..they do not cover "wear and tear" therefore they only cover an actual breakage....for example..and this happened to me.

they do not cover a camshaft that is worn..they only cover it if it physically breaks..
so im my case the dealer had put in some oil thickener(cant be proven)
and after time it thinned out and the camshaft sounded awful..but because it wasnt broken it wasnt covered

so now when i buy a second hand car(not mine ever again and not very often) i refuse the cover and take £300-£400 pound off the cover price...and make sure i check out everything i can,,along with mates friends mechanics etc etc

--
www.storme.co.uk
Extended Car Warranties - Civic8
>>it depends on where u buy the car...in my opinion.

I would agree with that,cars I bought many years ago secondhand only around 3/5 year old with extended waranty-paid extra for 3 year cover,on first claim service manager said no problem they would sort it,same said at second claim ie both claims were not actually warranted.. but after a word with a fitter that did the work he said this bloke wants the custom and claims not warranted are charged to other cars.

Having worked in several garages over the years,I do know this happens. so its pot luck whether you get a jobsworth or a helping hand
--
Steve
Extended Car Warranties - madf
I bought a 3 year Audi A4 with a manufacturers warranty for 12 months.(Audi dealer). Absolutley superb.. no quibbles on any claims: new catalyst, air con condensor, suspension bushes. . I can thoroughly recommend it.

madf
Extended Car Warranties - brg190 pete
madf

While you might recommend the warranty, I assume all your problems mean you wouldn't recommend the car!
Extended Car Warranties - malcolmg
was there not a letter in this weeks honest john column in the Telegraph saying the cost of a years extended warranty for an Audi is over £800. I have just taken out a 2 year extended warranty on my Mazda Premacy, including full european cover for just over £500. Only time will tell if I have wasted my money. One of the reasons I took it out is that I have a very irritating rattle from the middle of the dash area. Only goes away when I approach a Mazda garage.
Extended Car Warranties - oxob
I'd read the small print very carefully if I was you, As any time spent by the garage fault finding, is down to you to pay for. As an example the garage can spend an hour looking for the problem. Cost of labour say £30. Find a screw missing. the company will then say £2.50 parts and as it takes 2 mins to put the screw in £1 Labour. Total cost £33.50 of which you will have to pay the £30. I hope that makes sense. Well that's basically what my LGH warranty says in the small print that you don't read until you make a claim and still get a big bill. Even bigger if the claim is rejected.