Ford focus engine warning light - DozyG
Hi everyone,

My dad's ford focus was recently serviced by a local mechanic. After the service the engine warning light came on and the car was running badly. He took it back and it turned out one of the spark plugs was cracked. The mechanic also mentioned that he'd "washed the engine" . The car ran fine for a while but now the engine warning light is coming on again. He has taken it to the ford dealership who hooked it up to the ECU analyzer and told him the catalytic converter needed replacing, however, it passed its MOT with flying colours on the emissions test 2 weeks ago.

Is there any way that the catalytic converter could actually have degraded so badly in two weeks or is it more likely that there is an issue with water/moisture in some sensor connector giving a false result to the ECU, if so which sensor is the likely culprit? (DPFE perhaps?)

Cheers,

Graham

Ford focus engine warning light - Altea Ego
Its possible the broken plug and the subsequent misfire has damaged the cat.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Ford focus engine warning light - Adam {P}
It might not be much use to you but you could try reading the code for yourself and seeing what it turns up in Google.

Hold the odometer reset button down when you get in the car and then start the igntion whilst still holding it. When you take your hand off the dials will sweep and it will say test. Keep pressing it and it will cycle through different options. When you get to "dTC" which is around the 4th one in I think, it should flash up with a code. Mine says "dTC" and then flashes "9202" which is a fuel sender fault code apparently but were it not for the code you wouldn't think anything was wrong.

Turning the engine off exits the diagnostic mode.

For what it's worth though, I wouldn't be surprised if RF was right..again. Damn him.
Ford focus engine warning light - nivek58
Hi,
Same problem with my car, went through the diagnostic as above and get "dtc" then "NONE" any ideas as to what it might be. Engine runs, management fail light on continuous. any increase in engine speed then it runs roughly.
thanks
nivek
Ford focus engine warning light - Aprilia
In reply to DozyG I think it likely that the duff plug lead to a misfire which threw lots of unburnt fuel into the cat and possibly damaged it. Ford cats are not up to much at the best of times. On the positive side, replacement should not be too dear.
Requesting again
Same problem with my car, went through the diagnostic as above and get "dtc" then "NONE" any ideas as to what it might be. Engine runs, management fail light on continuous. any increase in engine speed then it runs roughly.
Any ideas or knowlwdge please
thanks
Cracked spark plug - £4