Focus power loss - ijth
I had the cambelt and tensioner changed on my 1.8TDDI Focus and 24 hours later the car broke down. The belt hadn't broken but the camshaft pulley wasn't turning although its visible bolt head was. My mechanic diagnosed a sheered woodruff key on the camshaft pullet and we are negotiating a fair price for the repairs given the circumstances. It has had one valve and cam follower replaced. The car now starts easily and idles steadily and smoothly at 750rpm but has no power. Stationary, the revs can be run up and down as normal, but the car has no power when driving. On a 2-mile straight road, I couldn't get above 60mph with my foot to the floor. I'm told the turbo is working and given the easy start and smooth idling I wouldn't think it is a compression problem. Any ideas?
Focus power loss - bathtub tom
My TDCI doesn't have a Woodruff key to lock the camshaft to the pulley! The nut is tight enough to hold it on the taper. The pulley has to be able to turn on the camshaft during assembly to correctly align them, almost seems he forgot to tighten the nut?
I don't wish to unnecessarily denigrate your mechanic, but he may be telling porkies to save himself money, it sounds like the engine's pink fluffy dice {Oh look, someone's decided to make a swearword less offensive by using the characters $@#£. Perhaps they need a reminder!! www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=33415 - DD}.
Would you buy your car after a test run in this condition?