Wheels slipping - barneybee
I've been suffering an occasional problem with my 53 plate Mitsubishi Carisma Diesel for the last few weeks, where when applying the throttle during a corner the front wheels begin to slip making the car unstable. This has started to knock my confidence when going around bends, especially if going around a multi laned rounabout! The front tyres have in excess of 4mm of tread so I'm a little confused why I'm suffering with this.

I can think of two solutions:

2 new 'high quality' tyres (recommendations please).

or

Put larger alloys on with new tyres to increase contact patch with road (currenty 15's).
Wheels slipping - Bill Payer
The correct solution is obvious - it needs winter tyres.
Wheels slipping - daveyjp
Adjust your driving to the conditions and don't apply throttle during the bends - if the car is slipping you are giving it too much gas. My A3 is the same (diesel with loads of torque) - but I've tempered my driving to compensate.
Wheels slipping - Dynamic Dave
A lot of it is down to the council and the stuff (grit, sand, salt, etc) they put on the road to prevent them from freezing. Yes, it stops the roads from icing up, but it has a side effect of making the road surface slightly greasy.
Wheels slipping - AngryJonny
Tread is nothing to do with grip on a dry road. Tread is there to stop you aquaplaning on a wet road. When it's dry a slick tyre offers the best grip because there's more rubber in contact with the road. The only reason F1 cars don't use completely slick tyres in the dry any more is because they're not allowed to.

A larger diameter alloy (16" say) will do nothing other than make the ride harsher. You'd need a wider tyre to increase the amount of rubber on the road - and you may then find the wheel rubbing against the arches etc.

The roads are slippy and greasy at the moment, presumably due to the weather conditions. Lots of frost and dew means that mud and oil is settling on the roads with no rain to wash it away. You could just drive carefully and sit it out. If you really want to do something about it a softer compound tyre will give you more "stick" but will wear out quicker.
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
Wheels slipping - barneybee
Cheers for the replies...I'll take it easier on bends! A colleague of mine has reported his 607 is doing the same so it seems a common thing this time of year.

Any suggestions for tyres in general as they'll need changing early next year?
Wheels slipping - mark999
I've just p*** set of goodyear hydragrips on my MK1 MX5 they have given me nuch more confidence in wet slippery conditions.
If they can do that for a light rear wheel drive car I'm sure your FWD car will stick like glue

Mark
Wheels slipping - mark999
Please ignore the **** it should read "put a" don'k know what happened there?
Wheels slipping - bell boy
anybody remember FOG? foot off gas i lost traction going to work this morning fog got me back to a safe driving situation.
Wheels slipping - Xileno {P}
It's a rather rude word in Portuguese and Spanish.
Wheels slipping - mss1tw
Wheels slipping - Malcolm_L
Check the tyre pressures, over-inflated tyres will lose grip a lot faster especially in the wet.

What brand and model of tyre do you have on the front wheels?

Are the front tyres wearing evenly - if your trackings out you may notice that your car goes round left handers better than right handers (we know it doesn't like right handers).