Uni Run - observations - islandman
Did the Uni run on saturday to bring dear daughter home for Christmas. Life will not be same for obout a month!!

That aside some observations from the trip which is mostly motorway/dual carriageway.

Only saw one police vehicle (marked)
Traffic was much much lighter than expected for the Saturday before Christmas.
Never saw one accident.
Never had one hairy moment.
The camara vans were out in force on the bridges over the M4.

As time was not an issue, I did an 'experiment' on speed
against fuel consumption. Using the tip computer I monitored consumption over 2 30 mile m/way stretches. one at max 60 mph
and the other at 'normal' speed. The difference was surprising.

At 60 Mph the average was 41 MPG -- not bad for a big loaded V6 petrol auto estate. At normal speed the average fell to 29 mpg --- 12 mpg less and a huge endorsement for the 'reduce speed limits to save fuel' lobbys.

I know this sounds a sad thing to have done but as I said, time was not an issue and traffic was light and I suppose I was a bit bored! Although trust me driving a 140MPH esate car a 60 mph on a quiet motorway for 30 miles is even more boring than very boring and takes incredible self control.

The main point I'm making though is my surprise at how much you can save by slowing down a bit. Not saying I agree but looks like it's true

Uni Run - observations - AngryJonny
I did an experiment on speed too, today. At 60mph I got very bored very fast. At 90 I had a great time.

And I didn't kill anyone.
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
Uni Run - observations - Nsar
You try doing a typical 30 mile journey involving a mix of local roads and M/way at 60mph one way and 90mph coming back and door to door the time difference will be barely measurable. People saying it's more time efficient are kidding themselves. I speak as someone who has spent decades driving like I had my pants on fire, but I think the penny is starting to drop with me. Driving at 70mph using lane discipline requires you to be a lot more alert than simply getting into lane 3 as your default lane and cruising at 85mph, something I still do plenty of times, but increasingly less often.
Uni Run - observations - AngryJonny
Yeah? I used to race my dad home from university. He'd do 70ish. I wouldn't. Sheffield to Wrexham, I'd be 20-30 mins ahead of him. Tried it again the other week with a friend between Derby and London - again I was over half an hour ahead.

I find that at 60 I get very frustrated. At 90 I am very calm. I am not going to claim to be safer at either speed as I have no evidence.

Oh yes. And my lane discipline is fine. Except I (occasionally) overtake on the inside when people do 60 in the middle lane, overtaking no-one. Irresponsible, yes. See you in court.

----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
Uni Run - observations - David Horn
Indicated 90?
Uni Run - observations - Nsar
Yeah.
That journey involves less than 50 miles of M/way, which would have taken your dad about 43 minutes to cover at 70mph. If you reckon you could cover that same distance in 20 or 30 minutes less you are mistaken.
Uni Run - observations - Aprilia
You try doing a typical 30 mile journey involving a mix
of local roads and M/way at 60mph one way and 90mph
coming back and door to door the time difference will be
barely measurable. People saying it's more time efficient are kidding themselves.
I speak as someone who has spent decades driving like I
had my pants on fire, but I think the penny is
starting to drop with me. Driving at 70mph using lane discipline
requires you to be a lot more alert than simply getting
into lane 3 as your default lane and cruising at 85mph,
something I still do plenty of times, but increasingly less often.

Totally agree Nsar. See lots of drivers in a 'trance' sitting at 85mph in right lane - no concentration, eyes just glued to the back of the car in front. And anyone who has a car that uses less fuel as its driven faster should be in line for the Nobel Prize for physics.....
Uni Run - observations - mare
And anyone who has a car that uses less fuel as its
driven faster should be in line for the Nobel Prize for
physics.....

great idea - where do i apply? ;-)
Uni Run - observations - jacks
On a slightly different note but Uni run/fuel related:

I recently picked up my son from Sussex Uni/Brighton travelling from Gloucestershire via B roads to Swindon joining M4 at J16 (avoiding the roadworks and multiple cameras between J18-16)and then drove M4 /A329M /A332/M3/M25/M23/A23 my trip computer showing it's usual 32 -34 mpg running on Shell Optimax, at Brighton could only find BP to refuel and had to queue to fill up then found unleaded pump out of order so filled up with BP Ultimate unleaded to avoid requeing & reset computer as is my usual practise every refuel. Drove back exactly the same way but with heavier load (my son + huge amount of kit) and similar light traffic conditions, no hold ups as outward journey. Forgot all about the Ultimate as I was chatting, catching up on news etc but after unloading car I remembered I had used the BP Ultimate and checked computer to find 37.4 mpg which I found very impressive.
Normally I use Optimax which I find gives about 2 mpg benefit over normal unleaded so it just pays for itself and the car does run better.
Unfortunately BP stations thin on the ground around my usual routes.
Uni Run - observations - Big Bad Dave
I do the same 100 mile journey more or less every weekend, same traffic-free conditions everytime, always with cc so my mpg never varies. Air-conditioning knocks off 1 mpg, having two adults in the back and a boot full of suitcases deletes another 2mpg.

If I?m in the mood though, I?ll kick off the cruise and drive enthusiastically and this can cost 5 mpg easily.
Uni Run - observations - smokie
Not sure how dependable trip computers are. My Omega consistently gives a more optimistic reading (by about 8%) than my Excel spreadsheet shows me I am getting (I always brim it), either over one tankful or a year's petrol.

I often reset this, just to while away the time, but noticed tonight I hadn't set it for 2701 miles, and I was just about to use exactly 100 gallons. Now I reckon that's probably an average mpg of 27.0 (rounded). The average mpg readout showed 26.6.
Uni Run - observations - J Bonington Jagworth
"anyone who has a car that uses less fuel as its driven faster.."

I seem to remember that one of the early Lotuses claimed better economy at 70 than 50 - presumably something to do with throttle settings and torque characteristics, so doubtless special circumstances rather than an upending of Physics!
Uni Run - observations - Lud
Using the tip computer I monitored consumption over
2 30 mile m/way stretches. one at max 60 mph
and the other at 'normal' speed. The difference was surprising.

>>

Might one enquire delicately what 'normal' speed means? If only 75 or so the fuel consumption difference seems something like twice what one would expect. If the 90-100 of the fast 10 per cent on motorways then it is less surprising. At any speed over about 50 vehicle aerodynamics start to make a difference. Drive a fish, not a brick.
Uni Run - observations - islandman
Might one enquire delicately what 'normal' speed means? If only 75
or so the fuel consumption difference seems something like twice what
one would expect. If the 90-100 of the fast 10 per
cent on motorways then it is less surprising. At any speed
over about 50 vehicle aerodynamics start to make a difference. Drive
a fish, not a brick.

Of course you can ask!! Actually I was surprised at the difference myself. Normal speed usually means averaging about 75 --- real speed as per GPS which reads about 80 on the speedo but with regular increases up to 80-85. Assuming the computer is reasonably accurate I can only assume the substantially lower consumption is due to high top gear and aerodynamics - as you state.

There were some occasions when speed dropped to about 50 mph, which I guess is about the most economical speed you can drive at --- 1900 revs so engine just over tick over.
Uni Run - observations - SlidingPillar
There's ususally a "break point" in this. My landrover does 29 or a shade better, if I keep the speedo just under 70. Occasional forays to 75 don't hurt.

But if I keep at 75 - 80 indicated, the mpg drops to less than 21.

Ok so it is shaped liked an outhouse (they probably have a better CD) but everything I've ever driven has a best speed in terms of wear and tear, fuel consumption, and driver fatigue.

Boils down to know your car really.

But officer, I was conducting scientific research in ascertaining my top speed!
Uni Run - observations - J Bonington Jagworth
"12 mpg less and a huge endorsement for the 'reduce speed limits to save fuel' lobbys"

Unless your estate is a hydro-pneumatically suspended Citroen, the load will have greatly increased the effect. A nose-up attitude makes a huge difference to drag - try the same thing unladen, and you should be pleasantly surprised!

I used to do long Uni runs with my daughter's clobber (stuffed to bursting!) in our relatively underpowered Citroen GS, which would hold 100mph quite happily. The Peugeot that replaced had 50% more power, but was noticeably slower when laden. Much thirstier, too!