Do you drive with one hand.. - AlastairW
..and the other one resting on the gear lever? Well, don't, unless you want to damage the gear linkage.
I dont do this but my ex - who does - called at 7.30 this morning saying 'I've got no gears!'. I went and rescued the kids leaving her to wait for the AA.
Nice man came and pinged the gear selector cable back into place (2002 Corsa 1.2 - not quite sure how this was done), and told her to get a new cable ASAP.
You have been warned...
Do you drive with one hand.. - Chicken Madras
Wise words indeed. However, I'm sure every car manual I've read has said:

"Don't drive with your hand resting on the gear lever"
and
"Don't drive with your foot resting on the clutch pedal".

Spookily, my sister's M reg Corsa 1.2 suffered the same fate many years ago.
Do you drive with one hand.. - y2k+4
Intriguingly I have a tendency to do both of these...:S I think it's just a natural position...
Do you drive with one hand.. - Adam {P}
I'm sure RF knackered his gearbox in 40,000 miles doing this.

Granted it was a Sierra but still.
Do you drive with one hand.. - Altea Ego
Good memory Adam

Indeed I did. A 1985 Sierra, 40k miles. Fords of that era were prone to it more tho as the gear lever sprouted right out the top of the gearbox, no linkage or cables to relieve the strain.

The stupid thing was that I had been taught not to do it because it knackered the gearbox..............
----------------------------------------
TourVanMan < yes its RF reborn >
Do you drive with one hand.. - AlastairW
Nice to see ex MrsW is not the only one. Just had an update - she has been quoted £90 for the linkage plus about £40 labour. Does this sound about right?
Do you drive with one hand.. - defender
fire brigade driving instructor many years ago asked the question of how to stop drivers driving with a hand on the gear stick,after getting all the usual replies like rap his knuckles every time etc he said no to them all but just to slip your hand over the top of his and look in to his eyes and smile. his pupils always were noted for the speed they changed gear.
Do you drive with one hand.. - Pugugly {P}
Both hands firmly on the tiller unless using the mobile, drinking coffee or doing the crossword !
Do you drive with one hand.. - Happy Blue!
And for the ladies - applying makeup!
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Do you drive with one hand.. - R75
And for the ladies - applying makeup!
--

That's a bit sexist, It might not only be ladies!!!
Do you drive with one hand.. - L'escargot
..and the other one resting on the gear lever? Well,
don't, unless you want to damage the gear linkage.

It can also increase wear on the synchromesh cones.
--
L\'escargot.
Do you drive with one hand.. - Red Baron
My Alfa clutch helpfully makes a 'slightly worn bearing noise' when ever-so-slightly depressed.

So I know immediately know when my wife is using the clutch rather than the adjacent and perfectly acceptable foot rest to park her left foot.

I habitully avoid lazing on the gear lever or clutch pedal for reasons given in the above posts.
Do you drive with one hand.. - Number_Cruncher
>> ..and the other one resting on the gear lever?
Well,
>> don't, unless you want to damage the gear linkage.
It can also increase wear on the synchromesh cones.
--
L\'escargot.

Interesting... How so?

Number_Cruncher