Renault Clio 1.2 16v 03 model - 4 cars
Our host for this site in his comments on this model says. "On 1,149cc D4F 16v and D7F 8v engines it is essential to change the timing belt, tensioners and the water pump every 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first)". WHY?( Is this so vital to this particular model)when all the manufacturers literature says different.Not questioning his wisdom, just curious and cost conscious
anyone?
Renault Clio 1.2 16v 03 model - Edd
They have been known to fail on the early engine however I don't know of many new cars well not enough to justify the cost of changing the cambelt. A new engine from a breakers yard is only cheap so if the worst does happen stick one of them in it will cost less than a cambelt service at a dealer normally anyway.
Renault Clio 1.2 16v 03 model - Altea Ego
I dont think so me old fruit. On the 1.2 the belt WILL fail if its not changed on time. Sometimes the pump will sieze shedding its belts and wrecking the engine.

a belt change costs 175 quid. YOu wont find a new engine for 175 quid.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Renault Clio 1.2 16v 03 model - bell boy
if you read hj"s page in a saturday newspaper you will see that he has had a fair percentage of letters about early belt failure and very large bills that is why with this particular engine he is edging you on the side of caution
Well,had the car serviced early,10K miles/32months by the local Renault dealer.(Ouch£260)This has significantly improved the engine noise which is now acceptably muted,I asume as a result of fresh oil.
Asked the obnvious question , of the service manager, what about the cambelt?.5years/70,000 miles came the standard reply.What about reports in the press/media of early failures on these 1.2 16V engines? We havn't had any yet and it doesn't seem to be a problem.He then went on to acknowledge some of the early Megane1.2 had suffered this fate but not whilst in the warranty period.
Anyway,Renault are offering to extend the manufacturers warranty for a further two years for £495. Anybody any experience of these?
Renault Clio 1.2 16v 03 model - Xileno {P}
"Anyway,Renault are offering to extend the manufacturers warranty for a further two years for £495. Anybody any experience of these?"

Check thoroughly for exclusions. You may find Warranty Direct is cheaper.
Renault Clio 1.2 16v 03 model - Keith S
£260 for a service? What did that include? Surely it wasnt left 32 months till first one??
Renault Clio 1.2 16v 03 model - Altea Ego
Nicoles clio is 5 years old in May, and its on 43k.

Will be going in for a new belt in March.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
No.1st service done at 2 years in accordance with reault guidance.The £260 includes oil,filters,plugs,brake clean and tweak to the engine management to cure a cold running glitch.I must say it does feel a different car but then so it should!
Renault Clio 1.2 16v 03 model - Keith S
32 months is a bit longer than 2 years !?!?!

Plugs aren't needed for first service?

£260 for a first service sounds extortionate.
Sorry if that confused.The first service was done in may05,at two years old and cost £140.This second service was due at may06 but was done early because of a lot of short trips,a noisy engine and a change of driver/useage pattern.
But yes you are right £260 is a lot for a service on a small car,my last Merc service didn't cost that much.