Any Laundry Tips? - Welliesorter
A motoring question in that I've had a small accident with a large and very badly designed can of Magnatec in my boot.

It could have been a lot worse as the can was inside two plastic bags, but I've had to discard two (mercifully cheap) road atlases that bore the brunt of the spillage.

Much of the remainder of the oil ended up in a fleece fabric travel rug and a fleece jacket.

The rug is almost saturated in the oil. Is it salvageable or should I not risk clogging up my washing machine? The fleece jacket is less badly affected so any tips would be gratefully received.

I won't know how badly affected the boot carpet is until daylight but I had to mop up quite a lot of the oil from it. Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to clean that?

Any Laundry Tips? - David Horn
Cheer up. At least your carpet will be protected from the moment you turn the key...
Any Laundry Tips? - 007
Hope this helps: www.howtocleananything.com/
Any Laundry Tips? - spikeyhead {p}
Spray with truckwash, brush in gently with a scrubbing brush, jetwash thoroughtly.

It will get it clean though I can't guarantee whether the fleece will survive.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Any Laundry Tips? - Chris M
Biological washing powder is powerful stuff and will have no trouble dealing with engine oil. The only uncertainty is how much you'll need to use. I suggest you hand (wearing gloves)wash in a bucket first to get rid of most of it, then into the washing machine.

Chris M
Any Laundry Tips? - Number_Cruncher
>>very badly designed can of Magnatec

This naff design of these cans has been enough to stop me buying the stuff - what's wrong with a proper sealing cap?

Recently, I have begun to take advantage of the bulk deals on semi synthetic from the parts department at my local Vauxhall dealer.

Number_Cruncher
Any Laundry Tips? - Hamsafar
IMHO, they will always smell, especially when warm.
Some materials are made from hollow fibres, I think polyester is one. When I have got new oil on white T shirts it has never come out completely, even after soaking in buckets of hot water and copius laundry liquid.

I once left a washing up bowl of used oil in the boot of my BMW after changing the oil (I lived in a flat at the rime) I didn't use the car much as I had a company one, I forgot about it and went for a spin in the country! I had to remove rear lights (for drainage and jet wash the boot out!
Any Laundry Tips? - Welliesorter
I once left a washing up bowl of used oil in
the boot of my BMW... I had to
remove rear lights (for drainage and jet wash the boot out!

Thanks to all, especially Ishok. It's a mess but at least the oil wasn't used. The rug was an IKEA £6 jobbie so not a major loss if I decide to dump it.

The biggest problem will be cleaning the oily carpet so I'd still appreciate any more tips on this!

Any Laundry Tips? - artful dodger {P}
It may be worth trying having the carpet steam cleaned. Remove first and then let local steam cleaner loose on it. The worst result would be it did not work and you need a new carpet.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Any Laundry Tips? - barchettaman
Fleece blanket, and fleece, what´s that to replace - a tenner?
Probably the route I would go down.
AS far as the car carpet goes, got any old offcuts in the loft? Maybe make one to fit, using the old carpet as a template.
Bad luck BTW.
Any Laundry Tips? - Dynamic Dave
The biggest problem will be cleaning the oily carpet so I'd still appreciate any more tips on this!

www.anyclean.co.uk/cleaning_tips/carpet/oil_stain....m
Any Laundry Tips? - expat
I haven't any ideas how to clean up that haven't already been suggested but your accident shows the value of having some sort of plastic or rubber mat in the boot instead of carpet. Carpets are useless for an area designed to carry loads. First thing I do when I get a car is to get a big rubber mat for the boot. Easy to clean up spills, cheap enough to junk if it gets damaged (and oil would damage rubber) and when you go to sell the car the boot carpet looks pristine.
Any Laundry Tips? - BazzaBear {P}
>>very badly designed can of Magnatec
This naff design of these cans has been enough to stop
me buying the stuff - what's wrong with a proper sealing
cap?
Recently, I have begun to take advantage of the bulk deals
on semi synthetic from the parts department at my local Vauxhall
dealer.
Number_Cruncher

Agreed, they're an absolute nightmare to pour properly too, despite that surely being the reason for the new design. You have to hold them in a most unnatural way, and you can only pour forwards, so have to hold the opening about a foot above the oil filler cap, meaning you usually miss. Old style lid means you can pour sideways and get withina couple of inches.

I won't be buying any Castrol until they go back to a standard lid.
Any Laundry Tips? - PhilW
Carpet cleaning? Sorry to mention this again, but 1001 does a brilliant job on most spillages. Fleece - dump it!
Phil