Renault madness - jharvey5
We bought a Renault Grand Scenic (7 seater) Last year...Nice looking car, great features, okay to drive. I was only concerned about two things.

1. It has an automatic parking brake. (A kind of fly-by-wire device)... French....Bound to go wrong. It did. Not only is is a complete pain to use when trying to park on a hill...It also broke. No handbrake...Whole new computer control etc. In the garage for 4 days...."never had one go before" said the dealer (the man with the long pointy ever increasing nose)....We shall wait....No doubt it will fail again.

2. The second concern was that the car is supplied without a spare wheel...There is aparently a space for one under the car, but some mad french marketing guru has decided to sell the car with a can of puncture repair foam instead....Genius. If anyone knows his telephone number, I'll pass it on to my wife who is currently on the third foor of a multistory car park with our little baby, a flat tyre and an aerosol can.

It seems I can get a spare wheel for the Grand Scenic....But its an "Extra".....I'm going to kick up an unhealthy stink about the stupidity of this proposition and see if someone from Renault would like to correct the situation.

I'll keep you posted

yes please, but next time please do not keep testing/bypassing the swear filter. Thank you. smokie, BR Moderator

Renault madness - Collos25
Both the spare wheel and handbrake are not unique to Renault,you could always buy a spare wheel in fact I would not drive without one.The cans will not repair a shredded tyre and there are not many tyre firms about at 2 in the morning when you want one.
Renault madness - Xileno {P}
Electric handbrakes recently been discussed at www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=36...8

A number of manufacturers don't supply spare wheels now, some Rovers came with a compressor and tube of sealant. I am sure there are others as well. I expect Renault's response might be that it saves weight, saves storage capacity, saves money. I would buy into that, 18 years of driving and I've never had a puncture.
Renault madness - artful dodger {P}
18 years of driving and I've never had a puncture.

You have been very lucky. In just over 30 years I have had at least 8 punctures. All happen at the worst possible places or the wrong time of day. The strangest was a quarter inch bolt in a tyre on the M1 - it deflated very quickly.

Personally I would never consider a car without a spare wheel.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Renault madness - Bromptonaut
Spend too much time in wild places with no mobile coverage (and keen observation of the Sabbath) to chance being stuck.

No spare, no buy.
Renault madness - L'escargot
Personally I would never consider a car without a spare wheel.

Nor me.
--
L\'escargot.
Renault madness - Smileyman
No spare wheel even worse than the spacesaver (max 50 mph etc). Look at the new Civic. This is not a Renault problem, but a motor industry problem.

What is difficult to understand is that these guys have market researched their products and still have not got the message - have THEY never had a puncture before??

Renault madness - NowWheels
No spare wheel even worse than the spacesaver (max 50 mph
etc). Look at the new Civic. This is not a Renault
problem, but a motor industry problem.
What is difficult to understand is that these guys have market
researched their products and still have not got the message -
have THEY never had a puncture before??

If Honda hasn't even prioritised the driver's ability to see out (see HJ's roadtest at www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=197 ), then I wouldn't expect them to get as far as thinking about punctures.
Renault madness - Lud
Nor me, nor one with a spacesaver either. Runflat tyres have got to be inferior in terms of ride/grip/noise/wear in some combination. Suppose you have just begun a long journey and a puncure occurs just after midnight. Who do you wake up to repair the tyre? Like electronics, mysterious to most people, these 'innovations' are calculated to produce what Marxists used to call 'radical dependency': you buy something, you can't cope with it yourself, so you have to carry on paying the industry, aftermarket included (no offence to anyone). What it means is that 'capitalism' has you by the gonads, and just needs to twist slightly to increase the cash flow. Of course this will be no news to anyone.

All of that said, I am afraid my own present car's spare is bent like a banana and probably illegal although the tyre holds air. You have to go miles to get a Ford steel wheel now that breakers' yards have been suppressed 'for the good of our health'. I could go on and on but I won't.
Renault madness - Dynamic Dave
I was only concerned about two things.

If the two things concerned you, why did you go ahead and buy it? Plenty of other vehicles on the market to choose from.
Renault madness - Craig_1969
I bought a 15k 53 plate 2.2dci Grand Espace auto which was bought by the a forces guy and imported into the UK. The best bit was that I paid £12500 for it. Its got a warranty until 2006 but I have to claim it at a Cyprus dealer! I suppose its an excuse for a holiday.

I work for Inchcape and our Renault guys tell me these things cost a bomb when the go wrong, I understand that a clutch is a grand.

The handbrake on mine is fine. The ride is ok and you feel very safe encased in all that plastic on the interior which rattles and creaks.
Renault madness - BobbyG
Re the Grand Scenic spare wheel, I could be wrong but I thought the reason that it didn't have one was because the rear seats are in the place that a spare wheel would sit?
You might find that if you buy a spare it might need to sit loose in the boot?

Goes back to my other thread about reading manuals, are you only finding out now that it doesn't have a spare?

I have had no trouble with my electric handrake, in fact I think it is a great device. And it actually makes hill starts easier as far as I am concerned?
2 concerns...Why did we buy it?.....Four kids....7 seats, and the grand scenic is better than a mini-bus.

...The car IS designed to carry a spare wheel...But Renault tell me they consider it an "optional extra"...They want £336.25
to fit one.

The point about about a torn or blown tyre is totally valid...the foam stuff may rescue you from a nail hole...But not much more...Can't risk not having a spare wheel any more...I'm going to get one, but three hundred quid is a rip off....Oh dear....I've got that Victor Meldrew twitch thing starting...Again!!

Renault madness - Altea Ego
Dont blame Renault - Currently in a Touran with no space for a spare wheel.
----------------------------------------
TourVanMan < yes its RF reborn >
PS....Bobby....I assume you live somewhere fairly flat... Norfolk maybe?
Renault madness - Dalglish
PS....Bobby....I assume you live somewhere fairly flat...
Norfolk maybe?

>>

nice attitude !

i bet bobbyg lives miles nearer ben nevis than jharvey5 and knows what hills in the uk really mean.

btw - harvey, when did you realise your mistake in buying this renault? why did you not search for, and fit a suitable size spare wheel from the cheapest source available. solutions are there for people who want to find them. easy to blame others for our own failings.

as for your handbrake problems, have you considered the possibility that the difficulty you as you experience it may not be seen as a difficulty by other people?

just being fair, although you may not like it.
Renault madness - BobbyG
Dalglish, correct!!
I am based in the Strathclyde area of Scotland. I still don't get what is wrong with doing a hill start with this? If necessary you can use it as a normal brake and release it yourself - but why bother, just lift up the clutch, feel the bite, and the handbrake releases?
Renault madness - henry k
...The car IS designed to carry a spare wheel...But Renault tell me they consider it an "optional extra"...They want £336.25 to fit one.
..Can't risk not having a spare wheel any more...I'm going
to get one, but three hundred quid is a rip off

>>
A steel wheel, tyre and maybe a set of wheel bolts is a lot less than £336.25
Renault madness - daveyjp
At least Renault aren't like Audi where there is no charge if you order one with a new car - aftermarket is over £200. First thing I bought for the A2 was an official spare, but I managed to find one secondhand and have just sold it on.
Renault madness - nutty_nissan
Sounds like Renault are making extra profit to me, by selling a model that doesn't have a spare tyre as standard. I ask, have Renault reduced their list prices to take this into account whenever it was that they switched from spare tyres to tyre gel?
Renault madness - stevied
Bentleys now come with a puncture "repair kit"...
Mind you you can get 20" split rim alloy wheels on them, bit big to have one of them as a spare!
Renault madness - nutty_nissan
Bentleys now come with a puncture "repair kit"...
Mind you you can get 20" split rim alloy wheels on
them, bit big to have one of them as a spare!

Not really, it's a very large car. My car is smaller than a Bentley yet the manufacturer still managed to provide an 18inch spare!
Renault madness - Dynamic Dave
2 concerns...Why did we buy it?.....Four kids....7 seats....

So has the Zafira, and the Galaxy. Both of which come with a spare wheel and mechanical handbrake. As I said earlier plenty of other vehicles on the market to choose from.
Renault madness - Xileno {P}
This is what I would do - get a spare wheel from a scrap yard, oh sorry, 'vehicle dismantlers'. Make sure it's not damaged and then get a new tyre fitted. I expect you will find the Scenic uses the same wheel as the Meganes and Laguna. Lot cheaper than getting a new one from the dealer.
Renault madness - PhilW
"French....Bound to go wrong."
I've been testing that theory since 1975 - Ren 4, 4 again, 5, 18, Cit BX, BX again, Xantia, Xantia again and Berlingo. Son and daughter also engaging in research, Ren 5, 5 again, 5 again Clio, Clio, Clio, Cit C2. Many of these cars done over 150k. You know what - in that time, 2 breakdowns (much to the advantage of RAC to whom I pay mucho money every year) requiring call out. One broken accelerator cable on a BX, one punctured radiator on a Ren 5 on M1. Yeah, the usual service items, oil, filters, wiper blades, spheres etc- sometimes severe electrical faults requiring a replacement bulb. I once had a new clutch on a BX at 120k - disgraceful, some of these needed new cambelts at designated intervals and I once needed some new glowplugs. Blimey, I neede some new tyres a week or so ago. Damned Michelins, bound to go wrong - only done 28k on the front.
French wine - yes, very unreliable - sometimes I require half a bottle before I fall over, sometimes a whole bottle.
Cheers
Phil
Renault madness - PhilW
PS On a very expensive car (to me anyway) did you not check the parking brake and spare wheel before laying out the money??

Phil
Renault madness - Aprilia
PhilW

You could set up a lucrative internet business, acting as a broker supplying reliable new French cars for nervous customers. You buy them and then sell them on at list price +10% - got to be worth that sort of premium to get a good one? ;-)
Renault madness - PhilW
Ap,
Can only go from experience! Afraid I would only be able to supply reliable OLD French cars. But I think you would agree, that on the whole the XUD engines were pretty good, (we've never suffered the dreaded HGF)and the HDis we have had are, as yet, not up to 100k so have not required owt doing to them except cambelt at required interval. Cits have also been rustproof, (more than can be said of the early Rens - but at least they were mecanically sound)and we have been lucky with the electrics!
Up to a few years ago I went for cheap second hand cars - and you can't beat a froggy car for fulfilling that requirement! Also have found the hydra suspension on Cits to be reliable - OK a new sphere (or ten!) but that's easy to do, one new pump (second hand from scrappy, cheap and easy to fit) and one new "octopus" which was a pink fluffy dice to fit, but I managed it. Son and daughter's Rens have also been reliable - worst one is daughter's year and a half year old Clio DCi which has gone into "limp home mode" a couple of times but now seems sorted (after a Mr Angry letter or 2).
Froggy cars may not be the peak of perfection but they have served us well and we like them - especially the hydro susp which is great for towing and for comfort.
Anyway, each to there own - and glad to see that Ford are adopting the PSA diesels at last!
To tell the truth, I would like a BMW diesel (or MB) but they have always been out of my league - oh well, one day perhaps.....
Regards
Phil
Renault madness - Avant
"The best answer is runflats, so you don't get a sudden deflation that shreds the tyre and so that you can get somewhere safe to fix a deflated tyre"

Coming from HJ, I'm sure this is right, but could HJ or someone please forgive my naivety and tell me how a run-flat copes with the sort of obstacle that shreds a normal tyre?
Renault madness - Dr Rubber
Tyres shred when you overload the sidewall. This can be done a couple of ways, but the most common is running overloaded and/or too fast at too low a pressure. The worst case for these conditions is obviously a puncture. Hitting an obstacle won't always shred a tyre, but if the cords are damaged, the tyres load capacity will be reduced substantially.

Run flat tyres have specially stiffened sidewalls that allow the full weight of the vehicle to run at zero pressure at a reduced speed. I am though not sure what would happen if the cords were damaged by hitting an obstacle though.

HTH
Joe
Renault madness - Wally Zebon
My Fiance's Clio has no spare and 2 cans of foam. It doesn't even have a wheel well, but then its an RS 182.
Weight saving was their excuse, although the 182s exhaust runs through where the spare wheel well would have been.

I gave her another can of foam that I carried when I ran without a spare, so now she has 3. She also has AA cover as well, so all she has to remember is her phone.

Renault madness - oily
We too bought one of these in diesel guise - last March - and, touch wood, it's been fine so far. Sure the "fuuny" handbrake takes a bit of getting used to but I have more bother driving the works van when I forget about the auto ligts and hanbrake and drive off dragging the rear tyres in total darkness !! It does draw a few strange looks.
Ours was pre-registered and came with the optional extra of a spare and no spray can thingy thankfully. I fail to see where they get the idea of £300 for the spare wheel as they are only £100 if ordered with the car...unless there is no hanger underneath the car for it.
Renault madness - IanJohnson
The answer is to read the brochure before buying.

After wife's experience of a 206CC where the recovery company refused to use the aerosol.....long story.

Wife now has an A2 which used to come as standard (when you could get them) with can of sealant and compressor. No cost option is space saver - sits in boot giving feeling of security.

I have a current Accord which comes as standard with a can of sealant and a compressor - on the optios list at nil cost is a space saver spare which sits in the well in the boot with the can of sealant compressor inside it.

At least I can get moving after TWO punctures, she will still need the recovery service (different one) to change the wheel.

Apparanty figures in Germany indicate over 240k km between punctures so most of us will never need the spare and weight contributes to CO2 emissions (which we all know are used for BIK car tax)!

THe A2 has a fancy Vredenstein expanding spare which (aftermarket) is £200 complete from Audi so the Renault spare must be gold plated for that price!
Renault madness - artful dodger {P}
Apparanty figures in Germany indicate over 240k km between punctures

Really? I have had 2 punctures in less than 6,000 miles! One with a short screw and the other a very small nail.

Generally I agree that punctures are rarer than they used to be, but I find the space saver steel wheel looks silly and would prefer a correct sized alloy with matching tyre. This would mean that I could take the flat tyre for repair at my convenience - not within 50 miles as recommended in the handbook and driving with a 50 mph speed limit.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.