Paasengers in Camper Vans. - Patrick Sunderland
Does anyone know the Law on passengers in Vans (new and converted to a "camper van") and seat belts?
Presumably, if seats are fitted they must have belts and the latter must be used.
Ditto if more adults carried than there are seats this is an offence.

Patrick.
Re: Paasengers in Camper Vans. - Andy Bairsto
All passengars must have a seat with a suitable approved fixing and seat belts.
It amazes me that manufactures make caravanettes and say for example they are six berth ,then they must have six seats and seat belts .You often see vans with people loaded in the back suicidal I call it.
Re: Paasengers in Camper Vans. - Andy Bairsto
I forget how UK law differs from the rest of Europe,I wonder what would happen in the event of a severe accident when people were injured ,I would foresee a law firms pension fund increasing dramaticly
Re: Paasengers in Camper Vans. - RogerL
Sorry Andy, you are incorrect. Motorhomes are exempt from requiring seat belts for rear seats, although some conversions do have them. It is quite legal for a six berth motorhome to have front seat belts and four seats behind that without any belts. I agree that this is dangerous and inconsistent but that's UK law for you.
Re: Passengers in Camper Vans. - Colin Standing
I think my own experience confirms Roger L

My 1992 Camper Autosleeper/Peugeot-Talbot was manufactured with normal front seat belts. The rear can be arranged in two ways :-

1. Two rear seats, one behind each front seat facing forward; seat belts fitted at manufacture, or

2. Four rear seats, two facing two, backing sides of van. Seat belts in 1. cannot be fitted to any of the four.

As this is a very popular van conversion and identical used models are routinely offered by all dealers, I can only assume that the configuration described above is legal.

Cheers Colin S
Re: Paasengers in Camper Vans. - Brian
It beats me why buses not only do not have seat belts, but actually allow standing passengers.
Re: Paasengers in Camper Vans. - richard turpin
It's because life has to go on. Next thing I suppose it will be suggested that we should have seat belts on trains, and that those who disagree are suicidal.
Re: Passengers in Camper Vans. - pugugly
Maybe just maybe because such conversions are not "motor cars" as defined by Section 185 of RTA 1988 or are exempt under regs 15(3) and (3a) of the above act.

That's the best you'll get on a Sunday 'cos I left my Archibold's CD ROM in work
and Stone's is too heavy to lug around.
Re: Passengers in Camper Vans. - Brian
Stones are not usually too heavy to lug around.
Unless it's a SJM.
However, boulders usually are.
Re: Paasengers in Camper Vans. - THe Growler
Things HAVE changed! Never had a problem back in '67 with the '62 VW camper on the Kathmandu trail full of cats in the back smoking Kabul's finest......