VAG diesel ID's and service - Big Vern
Hi

I am in the market for a used VAG group diesel, (I know I know Mondeo TDCI yada yada yada) Following a conversation with an old school style VW sales guy last night I am a bit confused.

Is there a definitive way to tell the difference between the different BHP models on the car, without going to the tax book? I drove 2 Bora?s last night back to back both with 74Kw marked on id sticker displaying inside the boot. One was allegedly a 2002 90 BHP and the other a 2005 100BHP. I did not see too much difference in performance although the 100 was a bit better, but it was 3 years and 30k miles younger. I have been warned off going by the red letters on the boot badge in fact the 90 had a red DI and the 100 only a red I.

I was also told the 100 was on long life servicing, while I am not a big fan, with only 16k miles on the clock I guess for this car that is not a problem. When I asked if I could revert to standard servicing, even with using the fancy oil, the sales guy said no?.. I found this a bit odd, is this true??

Thanks in advance
VAG diesel ID's and service - Xileno {P}
You can revert to standard servicing. You are the customer, you tell him what *you* want.
VAG diesel ID's and service - JohnM{P}
74kW = 100ps. The boot stickers will tell you what the car was built with. HJ's Car by car breakdown also confirms my recollection that the Bora didn't have a 90ps (pre-pd) option.

Fixed or variable length servicing is a dealer changeable option. My 2005 104ps Golf V first started 2000 miles to go warning of oil change at 16.5k (18.5k miles corresponds to 30000km)
VAG diesel ID's and service - Roly93
I get about 20,500k between services on my VaG diesel, this is with a fair mix of local and motorway driving, you could get much more if you do a lot of long-range motorway trips.
I know the Mondeo is good blah blah blah, but these VaG PD engines take some real beating when it comes to out and out fuel efficiency...