Sharan TDi stutters - seezed
Hi

I have a 98 Sharan TDii which recently has developed a stutter (thats the best description I can come up with)that more usually occurs when pulling away from standing in first or perhaps in second when exiting a roundabout. Occasionally, the problem will also surface when cruising at low to medium revs in fourth. (The stutter itself feels like a very short but sharp dab on the brakes). When this problem was in its infancy I took it to a vw mechanic who ran a diagnostic check and found nothing wrong. He did say however, that from my description of the problem that it may have something to do with the air filter regulator/controller (may have the exact name wrong) but couldn't be sure without being present when the fault arose. Now the problem is much worse and happens every trip but tends do subside on longer journeys.

Any ideas of what it could be and what sort of cost to rectify?
Thanks.
Sharan TDi stutters - Screwloose
seezed

First, change the relay stamped "109" hidden in the middle of the fusebox for the [latest attempt!] modified type.

Then find the [three-letter?] engine code on the cam-belt cover's label or inside the service book front cover. There's many, AFN; AHU; AVG; 1Z and this is a change-point year for MAP sensors.

Screwloose

Thanks for the response. Will attempt to change relay are they easy to source ie Halfords or will it need to be from a dealer?

Have checked for Engine code and its: AFN.

Thanks again.
seezed

There's been so many [unsuccessful?] attempts at modifying this particular relay over the last twenty years that getting the latest one from the dealers is by far your best bet. [You don't want to introduce another fault with Halfords parts.]

Ask for a relay 109 [also called a power hold relay or a engine control relay.] They're around £13 from Ford. [It's the same one on the Galaxy clone.]

An AFN on this year should have a rubber tube running from the inlet manifold to the ECU which is behind the instruments. These get clogged with gunge in the bottom of any loops and this can cause odd drivability faults.
Sharan TDi stutters - gsb
Apologies for hi jacking this thread. Screwloose do you know anything about Pug 406 2.1TD. I have a problem very similar to this, last post on my thread 17th Nov.
Here's hoping.
Many thanks
Screwloose

I must be daft but I can't locate the relay housing. I've looked with the fuses but only fuses and wiring. Is the unit elsewhere?
seezed

You've found the reason for the "hidden" reference in my earlier post.

Briefly; remove driver's side lower dash panel; [about six screws and a clip in the side] remove single screw holding fusebox top strap and unclip fusebox, pull forwards off it's mounting and lower.

The relays are buried in the centre framework of the housing; you'll need long fingers! [Much easier pre-97.] Take care not to trap wires when re-fitting.