new civic!! - wantone
just been laughing at the test drive of the new civic.
his mate cant get comfortable and doesnt want to drive after the first car.
because of the a pillars the passenger has a better view.you need oversized wing mirrors for parking(suppose this is because you cant see nowt out the back window.
and the 1.8 is the least favourable of the engines,when honda are expecting it to be the most popular?
this is the new class leader?
god help the rest in that sector!!
new civic!! - machika
I am wondering what the attraction of the 1.4 engine is, apart from lower insurance? It's economy advantage over the 1.8 is negligible, but the performance difference is huge.
new civic!! - The Lawman
Interesting that HJ completely disagrees with the Saturday telegraph reviewer, who hated the auto option.
new civic!! - wantone
unless you really want a automatic it puts you off buying a car?
as for the diesel,cant remember where i read it but it said they had to alter the engine to make it fit and its made it louder.losts its bonus of being a quiet diesel then.looks are are about its main asset ,well as long as your not looking from the back because i dont think its that nice from the rear.somebody posted earlier that it might not do so well,could be right?
new civic!! - Xileno {P}
I think the diesel will be the corker. If it's as good as the Accord, then it will be a fantastic drive.
new civic!! - NowWheels
Looks may be its main asset, if you like that sort of thing. Until it loses its novelty value, and then it will start to look terminally out-of-fashion in a way that a more conservative design doesn't.

Only high fashion can rescue a car which has no rear visibility, poor side visibility, and restricted front visibility. I wonder what'll happen to resale values when the fashionistas move on?
new civic!! - machika
I don't see the point of making cars with poor visibility, as it rather negates all of the modern day safety features.
new civic!! - NowWheels
I don't see the point of making cars with poor visibility,
as it rather negates all of the modern day safety features.

I guess that theoretically, it would be possible to make a car with such brilliant passive safety that its occupants would come
away unscathed no matter what they crashed into, rendering active safety somewhat irrelevant. Maybe Honda is trying to nake a big, pioneering step in that direction?

Personally, I'd prefer to be able to see where I as going so that I could avoid hiting things in the first place. But I'm probabbly just old-fashioned.
new civic!! - machika
Well, in the real world, we would all be better of avoiding collisions, not just for ourselves and our passengers, but also for the poor blighters who may well be on the receiving end.
new civic!! - Altea Ego
well the fat hairy bloke on 5th gear just had orgasms about how good it was, the diesel.
--
RF - Da DAA. < changes in phone box > Its TOURVAN man
new civic!! - Devonboy78
Two Thoughts:

1) How safe is it to have 'its petrol tank under the front seats'?

2) Is this an example where too much of the concept car has been crossed over to the production model, with the practicalities like rear visibility being overlooked!?

DB
new civic!! - Dynamic Dave
1) How safe is it to have 'its petrol tank under the front seats'?

No worse than under the rear seats, I would imagine, where most cars already are.
new civic!! - teabelly
The interior is nice looking but I'd rather not have a car that made me wretch every time I had to look at it on the driveway....
teabelly
new civic!! - Xileno {P}
For years the Japanese have been criticised for producing reliable but rather dull cars (some exceptions noted)
Now they produce a reliable (hopefully) exciting car and they are still criticised.
new civic!! - wantone
reliable yes!
exciting well, if this civic gets you excited your an easy fella to please.
i had been looking forward to the new civic and its already lost its sparkle for me and its not even out yet.
radicle doesnt seem to inspire confidence for long term ownership.
new civic!! - machika
I have just read the review of the car in today's Indpendent motoring section. The reviewer (John Simister) liked the diesel version but was not so keen on the 1.8 engine. He did rate the ride as not good, so that's it knocked on the head for me, I think.
new civic!! - Roly93
I'm no fan of Japanese cars normally, but I do like the look of this Civic after seeing on 5th gear the other night.
This coupled with Hondas engineering genius should make it a winner.
new civic!! - J Bonington Jagworth
"because of the A pillars the passenger has a better view"

Funnily enough, Motor Cycle News this week has an item about A-pillars obstructing drivers' views of bikers, which was an increasing problem even before the new Civic was invented. TRL is looking into the connection, apparently.

Strange that a bike maker like Honda would overlook such a thing. I speak with some feeling, as the chief mechanic from my local bike shop was killed a couple of weeks ago on a straight, open stretch of road, by a driver who blundered out of a gated entrance (not even a road) in front of him...
new civic!! - Conditional Identity
Well, I was keen on seeing them in the flesh with a view to replacing the Megane, but all the stories here have rather tainted my enthusiasm.

Still, AutoExpress readers are keen....

www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/62547/bold_new_civic_is...l
new civic!! - Xileno {P}
Don't let other peoples' views cloud your thinking. Go and try it, see if it's right for you. Otherwise you will end up with a Mondeo TDCi.
new civic!! - johnsnc
Trying lots of different alternatives was precisely how I ended up with a Mondeo TDCI ;-)