1995N Clio - deepwith
My son (18) has been offered (privately) a silver Clio Oasis 1.2, 1995N; 42,000 miles for £1195. I thought this sounded expensive for its age and it will not have a garage warranty. What do the experts here think? We have been finding it difficult to find him a car as he is tall with big feet!! this means Saxo's ,106's and similar no good - when he brakes he is still on the accelerator!,
1995N Clio - MGspannerman
My daughter had a strong inclination to Clios when we were looking for a car for her recently. The price looks top endish but good ones of these sold privately do seem to do remarkably well, but certainly it is no bargain. I was deeply unimpressed with what I saw when we looked round, cheap tinny cramped things and as your son is a big chap - I'm 6'4" - I cant see him fitting one of these any better than a Saxo etc. She had a Fiesta before that which was not too bad at all and I didnt find that a problem for round town use. We eventually bought a Golf for around a grand which apart from an intermittent starting problem - the VW curse - has proved good. A step up in size and solid. Personally I would look at something other than a Clio, but at that age mileage/condition is an important factor. We found autotrader a good way of searching, but much of what we went after was sold. Eventually bought the car on eBay.

Good luck, MGs
1995N Clio - Hugo {P}
That does sound expensive!

Even if it's in A1 condition, we're still talking a 10 year old car here.

If it's in good order it'll probably be worth £500 to £700 tops.
1995N Clio - DavidHM
Agree with Hugo - expensive unless it's on a BOGOF.

That said, it's small, cheap(ish) and has low insurance, i.e., exactly what she and all the other 18 year old girls want in a first car.

From a dealer that price might be almost reasonable, before haggling, but privately £800 would be as high as I'd ever go.
1995N Clio - DavidHM
Sorry, I really read son as sister first time round - with big feet I'm sure there's no reason to question his masculinity.
1995N Clio - dodo
My 1997 Clio Biarritz with 41000 miles cost £750. Brilliant wee car - 52 mpg insurance Gp2 and very comfy. I love it! If its a good Clio go for it.
1995N Clio - Andrew-T
"If its a good Clio go for it."

.. but listen out for shot wheel bearings, and don't be surprised if the engine coolant has never been changed.
1995N Clio - Blue {P}
£1195 for that?!?

I sold my N reg Fiesta for that much, 3 years ago!

Much to my horror I discovered last night that my first pride and joy is now earning a crust delivering pizzas! I was most suprised to see it turn up at my mate's house carrying our tea, sadly she's been bashed about a bit since I sold her.

When I sold her she had clean, smart bodywork, a sound engine, new clutch and was in good condition, to think that someone wants the same amount of money three years on for a same registration car beggars belief!

Apart from prive I would also be checking that your son is comfrtable with a car like that, they may have street cred but they're a bit small, I'm about 5'10" with tiny little size 8 feet and I can't drive a Saxo and struggle with a current Clio, so I dread to think what an old one would be like, although I admit I have never driven one.

Blue
1995N Clio - Welliesorter
Not an expert but I have driven a (later) Clio. Before you consider the queston of whether the car is worth the money, get your son to sit in a Clio and find out whether he's comfortable. I'm not especially tall (5'11) but couldn't get a comfortable seating position in the Clio, whatever adjustments I made to the seat.

The foot issue is a big problem with smaller cars. Even in my otherwise excellent Fabia, I can't use the footrest next to the clutch because I'll be risking trapping my foot behind the pedal.

Fiestas of this age aren't too terrible, provided that your son's legs aren't too long. As far as I can remember the steering wheel can't be adjusted so it's the luck of the draw whether his knees will rub against it.
1995N Clio - codefarm
Twelve hundred quid for a 10 year old car, regardless of mileage, is just way over the top.
1995N Clio - Xileno {P}
The Clio is a nice enough car and quite durable. However this price is OTT. Pay no more than £750. My biggest concern would be that the milegage is very low for a ten year old car. It may have done a lot of short journeys, leading to a greater level of clutch/transmission/bore wear than the modest mileage would suggest.

You will not go far wrong with a Clio but I think this one is too pricey. It is generally better to buy higher mileage and newer rather than lower mileage and older.
1995N Clio - stokie
I'm 6'3" and found the Clio driving position quite poor, and the plastics are yukky - but then the klast Renault I liked was the Renault 4.

I drove a 106 for 5 years. Yes the pedals are offset but being so tall I had the seat right back which reduced the spine twist needed to use the pedals if you see what I mean. My size 11 feet didn't get trpped around the pedals either.

But I think an Astra is the best bet, seems the car of choice for the sandwich year students where I work.
1995N Clio - Xileno {P}
I would forget these small superminis. If your son is big then he won't be very comfortable. Also every young lad or lass wants a Polo, Corsa, Clio, Fiesta etc and prices are high for what the cars offer. I would suggest you look at the next size of car up, the Astra has already been mentioned (or equivalent make) but you could even consider Mondeo/Vectra size for real value for money and comfort.

When I was 18 I had a Renault 20. It was a bit rusty but it was great and I loved it. Far better than the equivalent econoboxes of the day.

Think laterally, it's often better.
1995N Clio - oldtoffee
I've just bought a Clio 1.2 Panache (98 R) for my son to learn in and keep a couple of years and paid £1150 for it. I paid £1050 for a 2.0 Mondeo Ghia two years ago so I know this is a high price but I spent a lot of time looking around for a good one and this one was the best by far of the seven I went to see. There does seem to be a premium for the 1.2 Clios which are group 3 insurance. BTW I'm 6'1" size 11 feet and I find it very comfortable and easy to drive even without PAS.
1995N Clio - leef
Dont do it!!

I owned a clio (r-reg) from new for 7 years, as somebody mentioned, the wheel bearings WILL go often, they have alright engines but the build quality of the car itself is rubbish.
I traded mine in and got £450, I probably could have sold it for £550 private. It had full service history and 74,000 miles on the clock.

The timing belt snapped at 52,000 miles on mine so that might need doing if you do buy this car.

My advice having owned one for a long time... stay well clear!

Lee
1995N Clio - cheddar
Wife had a 95 1.4 Clio that was fine and has a 1998 1.6 Clio now that we have had from 4k miles that is also fine.
1995N Clio - Xileno {P}
The Clio is fundamentally a sound motor but I still think it's best to buy a bigger car. Why do all teenagers want small cars? It doesn't make sense to me. When I had the Renault 20 it stood out from the crowd, everybody wanted a go and I wish I still had it.
1995N Clio - cheddar
Why do all teenagers want small cars? >>

Insurance costs perhaps.
1995N Clio - smokescreen
>> Why do all teenagers want small cars? >>
Insurance costs perhaps.

Not the case for myself, when I was recently looking for cars and getting insurance quotes.

I used confused.com for my quotes.

Aunt offered me a punto 1.2 , 98 R plate which was immaculate. IG 4, £850 for TPFT.

Peugeot 306 dt, not so immaculate but a far better car despite its french roots. IG 5, £850 for TPFT.
1995N Clio - JH
Please bear in mind that the brakes on the Mk 1 Clio were dreadful. Wife had a K reg 1.2 RN, great car to drive but rubbish brakes. Same on Twingo apparently.
John
1995N Clio - Xileno {P}
Not as bad as Mk1 and MK2 Polos though...
1995N Clio - Ichibod
I drive a 1996 P 1.2 Oasis (facelift Mk2 model - added a high level tail light, altered headlights ,1149cc engine opposed to 1171cc previously, 60BHP now rather than 56BHP[i think] previously)and am 6'2" & 16stone. I find the ride comfortable and commute daily 40 mile return and bi weekly do a 180mile return trip which can push its comfort levels to its limits.

I got it at 60000 miles 3.5 years ago after i passed my test, ive only driven a handful of other cars to compare to (all for short periods i.e a couple of days)

Its true about the bearings - i changed mine at 80K and they are fine now at 125K. I havent had any cambelt probs, i changed it as soon as i got it.

I wouldnt say the trim quality is poor but its just average - its got its faults (particularly the fit of the dash- its not snug to the frame of the car - about 20mm gap showing brown fiberous type material below - its not just mine ove peered through several other clio windscreens with the exact fit) i havent noticed anything significant or annoying like rattles/squeaks etc

Low insurance is a must for a young driver (cost me £1200 when i first got it - now just over £300 fully comp)

My drivers seat is begining to show signs of wear which is to be expected i suppose at 125k.

Now im in a position where im a family man and need something bigger to cart around pushchair/highchair/shopping etc.

Also the rear seats of the clio are particularly spongey - so much so that a child car seat will not secure adequately. If it did then id be able to squeeze some more life out of the clio.

Overall ive been very happy with the 1.2 Clio Oasis - but it no longer meets my needs.

I would be looking for anywhere between £500-£1000 for it when i sell - otherwise id keep it for the missus - its been 100% reliable for me and suited my needs - good mpg @40mpg approx and it has hit a shade over 100 on occasions on the motorway and is punchy around town (based on others ive driven, vectra, sierra, transit(?), alfa 145)

I wouldnt put anyone off going for a clio particularly first timers but your example does sound overpriced - keep looking would be my advice
1995N Clio - deepwith
Many many thanks for all your helpful advice. We looked at the clio and ran!! It drove nicely BUT the so called new exhaust was hanging about 6 inches from the road mid-car section and the 'New" tail was rusted. General signs of lack of care! He also thought we were unreasonable in thinking it was a tad over priced. For our sins, we went back to have another look at an Xtrail for me today and the dealership offered me have a 54 1.2 micra (5,600m) and 54 Xtrail 2.2dci 5door SVE (10,400m) with supagard on both for £22,695. Seems a good deal to us although we had not intended spending that much on the small car it is much cheaper than the cars I have been testing for me - so with the warranties on both it seems too good to miss.
1995N Clio - deepwith
Oh, in answer to looking for bigger cars for an 18 year old boy (we did), car on drive, rural area, mother only other named driver, the following insurance quotes will explain a lot: Proton Compact Sprint, £3,000, Mondeo (smallest engine) £2,500, Astra £2.200, Clio £1,200, Internet quotes are often lower but when you try to arrange it you are asked to ring and given the 'real' quote. I would rather spend the extra £1000+ on the motor.