Golf Mkiv rear pad change - Ian J
Can anyone tell me if you
(a) have to detach the handbrake cable prior to replacing the rear brake pads on a Golf Mk iv
and (b) if you have to how do you do it.
Many thanks in advance
Golf Mkiv rear pad change - Alec
No.
But it's best to have the tool to retract the pistons....
Golf Mkiv rear pad change - misterbarbel
Ian, I did this exact job Monday evening. In my case I did disconnected the brake cable from the cliper housing (both Haynes and TIS suggest doing this). Disconnecting the cable takes about 2 minutes with a pair of pliers.

As Alec says the wind back tool is a god send for retracting the pistons.

I have a 'how to' doc that I got off another site if you need some pointers on doing this job.
Many thanks to yourself misterbarbel and Alec for the helpful replies. Re disconnecting the brake cable at the caliper did you have to relax the tension in the cable first or not. Re 'how to' doc would welcome any advice you can give.
Kind Regards
Ian
Golf Mkiv rear pad change - Alec
ve a look here :
forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=569530

Rgds
Golf Mkiv rear pad change - misterbarbel
Ian
As long as your handbrake isn't engaged you should be able to disconnect the cable at the caliper using a pair of long nose pliers.

The 'how to' doc I used is here forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=483838
Lot's of other vw 'how to' guides on that site too.
misterbarbel
Job done .I didnt have to disconnect handbrake as advised. Once again thanks to all for the invaluable advice
Ian
Golf Mkiv rear pad change - Spanner
One should really release bleed nipple first to prevent back flow of fluid from triggering or damaging ABS unit or causing ABS self diagnostic system from thinking there is a fault/fluid loss.
Even if ignition is off, back flow can force internal pressure switches/solenoid valves within the ABS unit and throw up warning lights.

Andrew