What £6K commuter/family car? - Jase
I want to know what is the best family sized hatchback (baby on the way) that I can get for £6K. I intend to keep it for several years and it must be a commuter workhorse as well (motorway). I don't want to commute in the Leon 20vT (30mpg!) and as the wife likes driving it I need something else.

Priorities are:
New as possible for the money (i.e don't care about badge.)
Comfortable,
reliable,
Big Boot,
economical,
cheap to run and insure (if this is possible!)

The two leading candidates in my mind at the moment are the ubiquitous Mondeo TDCi, and the Primera 2.2DCi. If anyone has experience of both these cars and can contrast, or knows of an alternative then please fire away.

What £6K commuter/family car? - barchettaman
Check the recent thread from NowHeels about the C5 HDi too.
What £6K commuter/family car? - barchettaman
It´s at the bottom of page 3 at the mo´.
Thanks - presume you mean the thread about the C5 that couldn't engage reverse? Alas doesn't tell me much about C5's. TBH I had not considered them because of the CbyC breakdown.
What £6K commuter/family car? - prm
How about Vectra 1.9Cdti nice engine, economical, comfortable, could probably get an 04 for that money at the supermarkets
What £6K commuter/family car? - Xileno {P}
Octavia.
What £6K commuter/family car? - MichaelR
How about Vectra 1.9Cdti nice engine, economical, comfortable, could probably get
an 04 for that money at the supermarkets

04 Vectra 1.9CDTI for £6k? Err no, not even with 100k on the clock.

SNIP. blah blah blah waffle waffle waffle about the TCDi YET AGAIN! Yawn - DD
What £6K commuter/family car? - NowWheels
How about Vectra 1.9Cdti nice engine, economical, comfortable

Comfortable? A Vectra? Sorry, that's the most uncomfortable new car I've travelled in over the last few years (and yes, I have done quite a few miles in one, tho as a passenger)
What £6K commuter/family car? - PW
Personally don't think the boot on the Mondeo is that big. Although is long is too shallow. I don't seem to get much more in than my old Cordoba.

Would add that we did manage to fit all the bits and pieces we needed for 1st baby for weekends away, just didn't seem to hold much more than my old Seat Cordoba.
What £6K commuter/family car? - Dynamic Dave
Comfortable? A Vectra? Sorry, that's the most uncomfortable new car
I've travelled in over the last few years

Nout wrong with the comfort in mine. Both as a passenger and as a driver.
What £6K commuter/family car? - JohnX
Re the Vectra Ctdi SRI rent a car that I drove was not very comfortable ,BUT it handles brilliantly.
What £6K commuter/family car? - Happy Blue!
This may be a left field suggestion, but the Honda Jazz meets your requirements.

It will be newer than the larger vehicles, more economical (even as a petrol) and far more reliable (yes I know Mondeos are reliable - but not as reliable as a Honda). Certainly enough power for motorway journeys and plenty of room.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Left field it certainly is.

I realise that the Jazz is brilliantly packaged and all that but is it really any good as a commuter car/motorway muncher when compared to a Mondeo/Vectra sized car? I thought the hard ride that was associated with these might be to its detriment? Also, does it really have the same space as a Mondeo/Vectra? Finally I thought the smaller engine would make for a frenetic rather than relaxed motorway car.

I fully accept I could be wrong in all my assumptions. I will investigate!