Oil for Citroen C3 - mare
Chaps

I have a 54 reg Citroen C3 1.4 petrol with just over 10,000 miles.

The oil is now about the minimum mark, so i would like to top it up.

The next (first) service is not due until 20,000 miles or two years so November 2006.

Two questions:

1 - Seeing as the oil level has dropped so low, am i wise to get an oil and filter change done, regardless of Citroen's guidelines.

2 - If i don't get an oil change, i will need to top up the oil. Citroen recommend TOTAL QUARTZ 7000 (10W-40) or TOTAL QUARTZ 9000 (5W-40). What is the difference between 10W-40 and 5W-40, so which one should i go for, and is any other (cheaper) oil appropriate for use e.g. a Castrol or whatever.

I should point i have had no need to add oil to a car for about 12 years, and I just used Castrol GTX.

TIA
Oil for Citroen C3 - Roberson
1. There is no need to change the oil because the level has dropped to 'min'. The oil change intervals should really be based on your driving. If you do a lot of short journeys where the engine is rarely up to temperature, or primarily town driving, then I would consider halving the intervals. This will probably be explained in the servicing handbook.

2. Looking at Totals website, it says that the Quartz 7000 is semi-synthetic and the Quartz 9000 is fully synthetic. For topping up, it probably wont matter which you use. Personally, I would try and stick to the recommendations in the handbook, (which probably means you can use Elf oils as well). As long as that other oil meets the API or ACEA specs outlined in the handbook, you should get away with using it.

I would post the web address for total but is doesn't seem to like redirections from other sources.
Thanks for responding, car does lots of short journeys, so i will probably go for an oil change after all.
Oil for Citroen C3 - MW
At one year and 10k miles, now is the perfect time for an oil and filter change. With a new car and engine why scrimp.? Get the fully synthetic. The price difference is minimal.
At one year and 10k miles, now is the perfect time
for an oil and filter change. With a new car and
engine why scrimp.? Get the fully synthetic. The price difference is
minimal.

Car going in Thursday for an oil change, agree with you that 20,000 is too long, considering it does very short journeys.