Nissan Almera - kennybase
Hi all,

I've just returned from my trip to South West Cork - very good time was had, especially enjoyed the driving :-)

I rented a car which when I collected was a brand new Nissan Almera Saloon - very comfortable drive, althouhg the ride was a tad hard for some of the roads. On the small widing roads round the coast it handled superbly.

One thing that I wasn't sure about, and wanted to ask about, was - is it normal for the headlights on this model to not really illuminate the road much past a few metres, and not really to the side? I am ashamed to say, but I had to resort to using the front fog lights for the night driving as they lit up the roads brilliantly. (I did turn the headlight adjustment button to the max but even this didn't help)

Just after others opinions on this.
Nissan Almera - Aprilia
Yes, Almera is not bad handling. Headlights are 'average' - sounds like they weren't adjusted properly - fairly typical for a new car!
Nissan Almera - Chicken Madras
SWMBO has a 14 month old Almera saloon. The headlights leave a lot to be desired IMHO. Other than that, the car is quite acceptable.
Nissan Almera - cheddar
On the small widing roads round the coast it handled superbly.

You would have been really very impressed by a Focus, Mk V Golf, Astra or Megane then.
Nissan Almera - v0n
Almeras headlights, in both N16 revisions were produced in UK and often suffered from particular factory fault where excess of plastic in few places once heated by halogen bulbs would melt forcing mirror surface to change shape in the same time. My previous Almera 53 plate (I'm on my 3rd N16 model atm) had both headlamps changed twice under warranty for loosing beam completely. Second pair I could actually see changing direction and drop efficiency during 8 hour drive through snowstorming Germany on 2nd January last year. We started with fresh pair changed by Nissan dealership during service and 300 miles down the autobahn ended up driving in almost complete darkness with tomtom serving as route simulator.
Nissan Almera - kennybase
I was so tempted to take a sports car out for the week, but the price (over £600 for the week!) and the state of the roads (many are just gravel tracks) I thought the fun would be short lived.

Glad it wasn't just my eyes failing on the headlight front though - maybe next time I'll take a few catergories higher, for the better headlights of course!!! ;-)

Nissan Almera - J Bonington Jagworth
"where excess of plastic in few places once heated by halogen bulbs would melt forcing mirror surface to change shape in the same time."

I wonder how common that is, now that headlights are almost universally made of metallised plastic? 100 Watts of lighting generates a fair bit of heat (about 99W!), which has to be dissipated somehow...