Anyone for a big gold slug? - AN Other
Hello all

Well, I fancy a change after months of dull but worthy Peugeot dieselling, and I actually fancy a Mercedes. Not a new one, but something like:

tinyurl.com/8jm5f

What do you think? It's nothing like anything I've ever had before, and part of me would rather like it.

Good points? Huge great engine, leather and stuff, cool in a non-flashy kind of way and capable of being a great motorway sofa.

Bad points? Ruinous fuel consumption, gold paintwork, and plenty of expensive stuff to go wrong and keep me awake at night.

Any thoughts? Fun idea, or a big gold Lexus in waiting? Would you give more than a grand for it?? I'm open to being talked in or out of it...
Anyone for a big gold slug? - blue_haddock
i don't know about others but i can't get the link to work.
Anyone for a big gold slug? - AN Other
That's odd - thanks for trying! Works for me just now. It's Ebay item nr 4591473846 anyway. You can't miss it...
Anyone for a big gold slug? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Bargain or money pit? You decide!!!
Anyone for a big gold slug? - Nsar
The description is a little bit vague, which electrics DON'T work, has it been in any smashes? FSH? But if the price doesn't climb much higher it could be a year's depreciation free motoring but be prepared to scrap it at the first whiff of a big bill, it's not the kind of car to become attached to. Little odd to put 4 new tyres on just before selling unless the owner is a bit dim.
Anyone for a big gold slug? - SjB {P}
The licencing related details stack up with the DVLA on line enquiry facility at www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/index.jsp

Looks like it last changed hands in February this year:

Date of Liability 01 02 2006
Date of First Registration 12 09 1990
Date of Last V5 Issue 28 02 2005
Year of Manufacture 1990
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2962CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour GOLD
Anyone for a big gold slug? - Mapmaker
>>The description is a little bit vague, which electrics DON'T work, has it been in any smashes? FSH? But if the price doesn't climb much higher it could be a year's depreciation free motoring but be prepared to scrap it at the first whiff of a big bill, it's not the kind of car to become attached to. Little odd to put 4 new tyres on just before selling unless the owner is a bit dim.

I'd guess the electrics all work - Mercedes are pretty good - they're not French!

No doubt the 4 new tyres were needed for the MOT. A car like that without an MOT is worth much much less than a car with 12 months MOT! £200 for 4 new tyres?
Anyone for a big gold slug? - P 2501
>>I'd guess the electrics all work - Mercedes are pretty good

I wouldn't want to bet on that.This car will have electric everything.
Anyone for a big gold slug? - DavidHM
I don't see why a Merc like this should have more in terms of electronics to go wrong than say, a 10 year old Mondeo. Mercedes equipment levels were fairly stingy 15 years ago and whilst you can expect all the basics to be there (electric windows, air con, central locking, ABS, engine management for the cat) I doubt there's a huge amount else on there.

What would put me off are the chrome arches (slightly illogical, I know, but they suggest to me either that the owner is covering up rust, or aspires to bling, neither of which I would want to be associated with) and the fact that he says he's selling because the kids are growing up so he doesn't need such a big car - even though he's only had it nine months.

It might still be worth a sceptical viewing though, if it's reasonably local to you.

(FWIW the DVLA shows only the date of last V5 issue, e.g., when it was updated into the new format, or when the owner moved house, but the RAC, which does show the date of last owner change, confirms this).