Problem Carina 2.0i E, 1992 - Greg R
I currently own a 2 litre carina with 40,000 miles on the clock and it now has what sounds like a clonking problem.

The car runs fine, sounds sweet and economy is brilliant. But, whenever I change gear or accelerate/deaccerate, I hear a clonking noise from what seems to be under the car somewhere at the back. It is getting a lot more noticable now.

What could this possibly be?

Your comments are much appreciated.

Greg
Problem Carina 2.0i E, 1992 - bell boy
sounds like something clonking under the car, suggest get it up on axle stands and check for anything loose?
Problem Carina 2.0i E, 1992 - Greg R
What could possibly be loose? The only thing I can suggest is the exhaust, but is there another way of checking this myself before I get down to the garage,

Thanks again for your quick diagnosis.
Problem Carina 2.0i E, 1992 - mjm
It is clonking when you change gear. When you change gear the engine is "rocking" on its mounts as the load is taken off it and then re-applied.

Several things could be causing the noise:-
There is probably a link from the bottom of the engine/gearbox to the car body.(Running straight towards the back of the car) This will have rubber bushes at each end. One may have become weak, allowing the engine to move too much.
One of the other engine/gearbox mounts may be weak.
The exhaust may have a broken hanger.
There is probably a flexible joint in the exhaust, it may have siezed up, causing the exhaust to move too much
The gearchange mechanism has a linkage running from the lever to the gearbox, it may have a worn bush or loose bolt.

The car has a low milage for the year but at 13 years old, time may have taken its toll on the rubber.

HTH