Skoda Fabia 16v reliability - rdh
Has anyone experienced any of the following problems with a Skoda Fabia Elegance 16 valve 100bhp first registered 2000.

1. Instrument panel lights failed requiring replacement of instrument panel and speed/trip computer.

2. Failure of cambelt tension roller requiring complete engine rebuild. This happened at 33,000 miles and car serviced by Skoda throughout.

3. Failure of hydraulic pump on assisted steering caused by blocked water drain. Required replacement of pump and steering gearbox.

4. Alarm operating without reason and failing to respond to reset from remote key. Door locking mechanism operating erratically while alarm sounding. Alarm continues to sound when engine started and car is being driven. This required replacement of alarm module and horrendous labour charges to pin down fault. To add insult to injury the alarm cannot be disabled as it is part of the door lock system.
The alarm had operated erratically since the car was purchased but no reason discovered by computer readout.

Just how reliable are Skodas? All the above faults are component failure. This has been the most unreliable car I have owned in fifty years of motoring.

RDH

Skoda Fabia 16v reliability - Screwloose
RDH

As you've doubtless heard; they've started making Skoda's like Volkswagens.

That litany of grief is fairly typical for some of my customers late VW's. [In some ways it's considerably less awful than many!]

To paraphrase that famous Golf advert: "Fortunately, most things in life are now much more reliable than a Volkswagen."

Skoda Fabia 16v reliability - SjB {P}
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=25383&...f
Rob

See my post at:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=36...7

I have many more lessor complaints about this car.

RDH
Skoda Fabia 16v reliability - Caveman
See my post at:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=36...7

Eh? We're already at that post.
Skoda Fabia 16v reliability - SjB {P}
Eh? We're already at that post.

I think he meant to post in the thread that I linked to, in turn linking it back to this one.
Skoda Fabia 16v reliability - Dynamic Dave
I think he meant to post in the thread that I
linked to, in turn linking it back to this one.

In which case RobN will be unlikely to see it as he last visited the forum 1 year ago today (20/11/04)
Sorry everyone. Didn't realise it linked back.
Had hoped to contact RobN

RDH
Skoda Fabia 16v reliability - Billy Whizz NE
RDH,

Exactly the same thing has happened to me re the cam belt tensioner failure a few weeks ago - I've a 2001 1.4 16V estate, full Skoda service history, and it failed at 38,000 miles. I got in touch with Skoda UK and they have reluctantly offered 35% of the parts only or approx 1/7th of the total cost - did you get anywhere with them ?

I must say I've had little else and they are no better or worse (apart from this cam belt fiasco) than all the VW's I've owned.
Skoda Fabia 16v reliability - uttrup
Have just experienced the exactly same failure on my Fabia 16V from 2000. Light dissapeared in right sight of instrument panel. Workshop said that no repair is possible. Suggested replacement of instrument panel and reprogramming of computer. Very expensive.

Is anybody aware of others sollutions?
Skoda Fabia 16v reliability - Screwloose

www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/DetailedProduct.aspx?D...7