Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - L'escargot
I?ve just fitted Bosch Super Plus wiper blades (set 22/19S as stated in Bosch?s selection chart) to my 03/03 Focus and so far I am not impressed.
Firstly, I had to cut 5mm off the inner end of both rubbers to stop them fouling one another in the parked position. (And yes, they are fitted correctly ~ they only fit one way.) Fortunately the length of the metal inner stiffener allowed for this without me having to cut the stiffener itself. No such problems with the original blades or with Halfords?s own brand.
Secondly, the method of retention of the rubber is iffy to say the least ~ just two metal tags (one each side of the rubber) crimped together near the outer end of the rubber.
Thirdly, the finish generally was very poor ~ sharp edges on all the metal parts. It was only the fact that I would have broken through the protective coating that stopped me from deburring the metal parts with a fine file.
I?m beginning to think that I should have saved myself £2.50 by buying Halfords?s own brand again.
I just hope that the performance and durability of the Bosch blades live up to the claims on the box.
Until I?m happy that I can trust the Bosch blades not to come adrift I?m going to carry those that I took off in the boot.

--
L\'escargot.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - AR-CoolC
It should be a 22S/19 for a Focus. We supply Bosch wipers and I can honestly say that I have not heard of any problems like the ones you mention.

Are you sure you dont have them the wrong way around? if you have a 19S on the drivers side then a 22 on the passenger side will foul.

Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Phil I
Alternatively Mr. Snail you might still pick up some blades from our friends Lidl who had an offer of pairs of blades last week (either 1.49 or 1.99 the pair - cannot which) our local store still had some left when I was there yesterday. Our motor was in for MOT last week so I treated myself to a pair. Found them v.good quality, wipe well without squeaking.

Happy to save money anywhere Phil I
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Phil I
remember is the missing word.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - sierraman
Alternatively Mr. Snail you might still pick up some blades from
our friends Lidl who had an offer of pairs of blades
last week (either 1.49 or 1.99 the pair - cannot which)
our local store still had some left when I was there
yesterday. Our motor was in for MOT last week so I
treated myself to a pair. Found them v.good quality, wipe well
without squeaking.

Maybe Lidl are different but I bought some from Aldi,£1.99,German manufacture.They went rusty very quickly and the performance was indifferent,in fact I have binned them though they are hardly worn.A definite false economy.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Stuartli
>>A definite false economy.>>

Same for those cheap Magic wipers with five blades on each rubber offered in many discount stores.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
It should be a 22S/19 for a Focus.

The selection chart and the box (Double Pack) both say 22/19S. Regardless of what the marking on the box implies, the 22" wiper has the spoiler and is fitted on the driver's side. The 19" wiper is fitted on the passengers side. The inner ends of the rubbers overlapped by approximately 6mm. I took 5mm off both to be sure they would be clear.
--
L\'escargot.
<< We supply Bosch
wipers and I can honestly say that I have not heard
of any problems like the ones you mention.

Perhaps the cheap and nasty construction is the result of recent cost reductions. Maybe earlier versions were better.
--
L\'escargot.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - SjB {P}
Just a thought: Halfords also do a range of bespoiled wipers and their cheap and cheerful tackiness - crude spoiler and metalwork - reflects their price.

When I went looking for some blade assemblies for a family member's car a few months ago I was glad that I checked in the box before I came home; someone had undone the "hanging" end and put (the wrong sized as it happens) Halfords blade assemblies in a Bosch box.

The Bosch items were usual Bosch quality and fitted perfectly.
<< someone had undone
the "hanging" end and put (the wrong sized as it happens)
Halfords blade assemblies in a Bosch box.

The box was sealed and the contents are marked Bosch. I've always been very satisfied with Halfords own brand wipers.
--
L\'escargot.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - nortones2
I bought some Gillette blades in plausible packaging, but they were counterfeit. Are you sure they are Bosch? Try sending them to their UK HQ for an opinion?
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - nutty_nissan
Get some PIAA Super Silicone wiper blades. Superb stuff, and they even give you a coating to apply to the screen. Once that's on, they even wipe a dry screen with no squeaking or smears. Plus, the coating reduces the amount of water that stays on the screen, you notice it more at higher speeds. I wouldn't fit any other blade.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - osmic wrap
Is it possible that they were the wrong size to begin with? I cannot understand why you felt you had to cut them to fit.

I use wipers on my car that are much larger than the manufacturers spec. I had to measure them to see that I could fit larger ones on. What I do though when I come to replace them is to place the new wiper up against the old wiper before I fit it. If it is wider then I know it will be unsuitable. No matter what it says on the box. These wipers could just have been put in the wrong box at the factory.

In keeping with the BR tradition of offering smug advice after the event I am afraid to say that I certainly wouldn't have resorted to cutting rubber from the ends of them.

Maybe you should pop into a Ford dealer tomorrow and have a "technician" fit some for you.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - bell boy
blades are £1 each at my ford dealer,beat that
blades are £1 each at my ford dealer,beat that

Is that just the rubber elements?
--
L\'escargot.
Is it possible that they were the wrong size to begin
with? I cannot understand why you felt you had to cut
them to fit.

The driver's side bespoilered 22" blade was nominally 22". and the passenger's side 19" blade was nominally 19". It's just that they were slightly too long for the blades to be able park level with one another ~ which is how my wipers are set. If the driver's blade was set a bit higher than the passenger's in the parked position then they wouldn't have clashed. But I knew from past experience that I wouldn't be able to get the driver's's off to reset it without having the special extractor tool that Ford dealers use. Don't ask me why the blades were that fraction too long, because I don't know. I don't think they were pirate copies as has been suggested, because of where I bought them. I won't say where I bought them in case that would be frowned upon, but Halfords own brand were on the adjacent display!
I've since fitted the rear Bosch blade that I had bought at the same time and I was pleasantly surprised to find that the design was markedly better. In fact I had no complaints about it at all.
As I said earlier, I suspect that recently manufactured blades have undergone some cost reductiions ~ the rear blade was probably made earlier.

I think that devotees of Bosch blades may be in for a rude awakening the next time they buy some!
--
L\'escargot.
Maybe you should pop into a Ford dealer tomorrow and have
a "technician" fit some for you.

Sounds as if you think I don't know how to fit new wiper blades.
--
L\'escargot.
Get some PIAA Super Silicone wiper blades.

I live in the back of beyond and I would probably have to travel miles to find a PIAA retailer.
--
L\'escargot.
I bought some Gillette blades in plausible packaging, but they were
counterfeit. Are you sure they are Bosch? Try sending them
to their UK HQ for an opinion?

It would be cheaper to just bin them and buy some Halfords own brand. I'm not going to spend money to help Bosch put their house in order.
--
L\'escargot.
Must have cut yourself shaving this morning, by the tone(: Please yourself, but you might just get your money back. Whether it helps Bosch is surely beside the point?
Must have cut yourself shaving this morning, by the tone(:
Please yourself, but you might just get your money back. Whether
it helps Bosch is surely beside the point?

I have e-mailed Bosch in Germany via a link on their website explaining the problem of the excess length of the rubber elements. I will let you know the outcome, if any.

--
L\'escargot.
Much obliged. esp. as I need some new ones. I have always used Bosch replacements, I'll have a gander at my local shops offerings.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - osmic wrap
To be fair, I have noticed that some wipers aren't actually the EXACT size they say on the packet.

Next time you find yourself in a similar situation, you could buy them separately. Get a wiper for the passenger side an inch shorter, that will give you half an inch each end. They will cost more separately but you should be able to get the size you want and if you want a spoiler on each one you can have this, Bosch spoilers swap over anyway and you could CAREFULLLY remove it from your old Bosch wiper for the new wiper if it doesn't come with one. (push the two plastic clips inward from the underside of the wiper, beware, they are fragile)

I use a 23" on the drivers side of my Mondeo when it should be a 21", it just fits but you cannot get this size with a spoiler unless you buy a set for a BMW, so I just got a 23" without a spoiler and the passenger side with a spoiler and swapped the spoilers over, the next year I took the spoiler from the old passenger side and fitted it to the 23" wiper, so they both had them.

You could also try eBay, depsite some peoples snootiness about eBay and copies, if you buy from a reputable seller you won't have any probs.

I don't know about any tool for removing wipers. Are they on splined drives, if so I would expect a good tug would get them off, but wiggle the wiper from side to side (not around its axis of rotation) then pull.

<< Bosch spoilers swap over
anyway and you could CAREFULLLY remove it from your old Bosch
wiper for the new wiper if it doesn't come with one.
(push the two plastic clips inward from the underside of the
wiper, beware, they are fragile)

The spoiler on my driver's blade assembly is an integral part of a much larger part, and could not be removed. Similarly there is no provision for fitting that spoiler to the passenger's blade assembly.
I don't know about any tool for removing wipers. Are they
on splined drives, if so I would expect a good tug
would get them off, but wiggle the wiper from side to
side (not around its axis of rotation) then pull.

I'm not sure what type of drive they have, but once the arms are fitted they need a bit more than gentle persuasion to remove them. Pull too hard and the spindle feels as if it will be pulled out of the car. The spindle has a nut which retains the wiper arm. The extractor tool, which I've seen a Ford technician use, is basically a squared-off C-shaped main part with a bolt through the centre. After the wiper arm retaining nut has been removed the main part of the extractor is fitted around (and with the lower inward-facing legs underneath) the arm and the bolt is lined up with the centre of the spindle. The bolt is then screwed in and this forces the arm off the spindle.

I only bought Bosch blades this time because they appeared to come highly recommended in The Backroom. It may well turn out to be a case of "once bitten, twice shy", and that next time I will revert to my preferred well tried and tested Halfords own brand wipers.
--
L\'escargot.
I've just compared the blade assemblies with the partial photographs on their respective boxes. Whereas the rear blade matches the photograph, the front blades look nothing like the photograph. I think this supports my contention that they have recently undergone significant (and presumably cost-reducing) design changes.

It's not just the excess length of the rubber elements that I'm unhappy about, it's also the iffy method of retention of the elements and the general poor quality of finish of the whole things.
--
L\'escargot.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Miller
In defence of Bosch I got a pair off e-bay for a tenner for my Mondeo, size 21S/20 and they are superb, totally silent in operation.
In defence of Bosch I got a pair off e-bay for
a tenner for my Mondeo, size 21S/20 and they are superb,
totally silent in operation.

You may have been lucky to have obtained items made prior to the apparently detrimental design changes that I am convinced have recently taken place.
--
L\'escargot.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Altea Ego
RF's guide to wiper blades.

All the new cars I have had, the wipers were perfect when new.

therefore I replace wipers with manufacturers genuine spares, blade and carrier assembly complete.

I never have problems with wipers.

In my experience and my opinion all other super duper blades you buy down your motor factor are carp. Bin there, done that, and they ended up as landfill.
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
In my experience and my opinion all other super duper blades
you buy down your motor factor are carp.

I'm rapidly coming to the same conclusion, with the exception of Halfords own brand which currently appear to be passable.
--
L\'escargot.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - storme
I BUY my oem blades from the bmw dealership and they are actually cheaper than buying from halfords...and i know they will fit...

--
www.storme.co.uk
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Wales Forester
I was about to make the same point, OEM Ford wipers may well work out as cheap as, if not cheaper than other available makes. You may even get a bit of discount if you're cheeky enough to ask.....

Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Marc
I've bought Bosch replacement wiper blades for years. Their build quality and performance has always been better than the competition so I am surprised to hear your comments L'escargot.

I once bought a Halfords blade and its construction and performance was dire, I wrote to Halfords HQ and got a refund.

I also thought that Bosch was OEM for some car makes so am surprised to hear about you having to cut the ends of the blades - surely this can't have improved their performance! Have you measured them up against the Ford/Motorcraft originals and if so was there a difference?
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - rhino
An independant garage we used to use would only fit Bosch, as they were fed up with complaints from customers when they fitted cheaper stuff. I concur.

I won't touch cheaper stuff now, even though I've tried out most of the competition as I'm always in search of a 'more reasonable but equally effective' alternative with most things....
I also thought that Bosch was OEM for some car makes
so am surprised to hear about you having to cut the
ends of the blades - surely this can't have improved their
performance! Have you measured them up against the Ford/Motorcraft originals

I had to cut 5 mm off the rubber element of each blade so it hasn't significantly affected the wiped area. The 5 mm I cut off was entirely unsupported (the inner "tensioner" finished 5 mm short of the end of the rubber element) so I don't supppose that 5 mm would have done much anyway. I couldn't check the originals because they had been binned at the last change, but the Bosch were longer than the Halfords I took off, and I had no problems with the Halfords. I would have bought Halfords again had it not been for the glowing testimonials given to Bosch in the Backroom. I have now put it down to experience and have learned from my mistake of buying Bosch.
--
L\'escargot.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Chas{P}

In my experience and my opinion all other super duper blades
you buy down your motor factor are carp.

I disagree RF

Ford genuine wiper blades = Valeo

Motaquip wiper blades = err guess what... Valeo

--
Was Charles {P} but someone c o p i e d my name with spaces.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Roberson
I once bought some wiper blades from Nettos of all places. 99p a blade. Didn't think they'd be up to much (not at that price), just to tide me over until I got round to finding some reasonably priced Bosch ones.

Closer inspection revealed...Valeo, stamped everywhere. The best value car parts I've ever had. They lasted a year or so, so no complaints there.

Unfortunately, I?ve been scarred by the consistently appalling quality of Wilkinson?s wiper blades, so wont fit anything else apart from Bosch now. (At £3.50 a go, its hardly worth using any other make)
Unfortunately, I?ve been scarred by the consistently appalling quality of Wilkinson?s
wiper blades, so wont fit anything else apart from Bosch now.
(At £3.50 a go, its hardly worth using any other make)

I assume that at that price you just buy the rubber elements.
I thought that the only blades Wilkinsons made were razor blades! ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
I assume that at that price you just buy the rubber
elements.

You couldn't do that with the latest Bosch because the rubber elements are change-proof ~ the carrier is crimped around the rubber element.
--
L\'escargot.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Collos25
Good blades in Tesco £3 50 pair as good as Bosch or Valeo
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - carl_a
Good blades in Tesco £3 50 pair as good as Bosch
or Valeo

I would agree the Tesco blades are excellent, however the mounting supplied are very poor. I had to get the sandpaper out to get a good fit.
>>I've always been very satisfied with Halfords own brand wipers.>>

My Bora uses two different types of wiper blades and the set is at least £20 normally; however, I tried the Halfords offering and it has proved just as good as the VW OEM version, along with an £8 saving.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Rebecca {P}
How often should you change wiper blades then?

(sorry to let the girls' side down by asking a noddy question)
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Xileno {P}
Some garages and people will tell you once a year. In my view this is nonsense. You replace them when they start showing signs of breaking up. I reckon at least three years for my car. My Renault is almost two years old and the blades are like new.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Rebecca {P}
The way you were all 'talking' made it sound as though it should be every few months!
Just had Bosch Super Plus fitted to my Civic (2003) - had to get local garage (from whom I bought them at a good price) to fit the 24" blade, as the Bosch fitting did NOT fit securely. I'd tried for half an hour - no joy. Relieved that it wasn't my ineptitude to blame! Garage owner eventually used the old pivot from the Valeo blade.
Bosch to be quizzed now.....
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Happy Blue!
The number of times I have bought new blades and had to use the old connectors is immense. Mind you , last night I bought new Bosch blades and they fitted like a dream. Cleaning quality is better than the old ones, but not 100% though.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
I meant to add, but forgot, that they work very well, and are substantially built. Never had a problem before, as one of the fittings provided has always been correct, but these ones are so-called "quick-clip". No alternative fittings in box.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Altea Ego
Never had a pair last past two years. The first time you run them over a frozen screen, or worse they are stuck to the screen when you turn them on, they are dog meat.
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Sofa Spud
I put Bosch wiper blades on my Passat. They were good when new but quickly deteriorated to 'average smeary' although they haven't got much worse since.

Cheers, SS
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Miller
Unbeatable for quietness in operation IMO.
Update:-

Although the length of the rubber element in the rear wiper blade is 338 mm (13.3") the height of the wiped area in mid-stroke (i.e. blade vertical) is only 283 mm (11.1"). Clearly the rubber element is too stiff lengthwise to conform to the curvature of the rear screen. No such problem with either Ford OEM or Halfords blades.

'Nuff said?
--
L\'escargot.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Hamsafar
I have always found the Bosch ones get sloppy at the joints and so make a clunk when changing direction. Last time I bought a pair of Bosch from Halfords tehy were VERY expensive, mediocre quality and worst of all the passenger and drivers were totally different designs, probably just bought in cheap from different factories and stamped with the logo.

I find Valeo Silencio are excellent and have a yellow spot appear when they need replacing (after a year or so)
I'm surprised at the negative comments about Bosch - it's normally regarded as one of the most reliable and quality conscious manufacturers around in whatever area of its products purchased.
I've never had any deterioration of the Bosch blade supports in use. Very odd that the blades from Halfords are mentioned twice. BTW, I phoned Bosch technical re my query on the "one-click" fitting. They went and checked the fit on a colleagues Honda, and must have found there waas an issue - good service. Received an alternative fitting in the post.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Waino
I'm surprised at the negative comments about Bosch - it's normally
regarded as one of the most reliable and quality conscious manufacturers
around in whatever area of its products purchased.

Yep - our Bosch disherwasher dries the pots alright (he says, touching the nearest piece of wood!)
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - BazzaBear {P}

Is it? You know those terribly unreliable Alfa and Fiat electronics? Almost universally supplied by Bosch ;)
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Xileno {P}
I have not ever had problems with the Bosch wipers on my VW. The Renault has Valeo which seem to work quietly and last well.
Almost universally supplied by Bosch ;)>>

Perhaps I've missed something but I always thought that Magneti Marelli (part of the Fiat Group) supplied such items and for many other manufacturers, including VW, DaimlerChrysler and BMW.
>>>> Almost universally supplied by Bosch ;)>>>>

PS

Magneti Marelli did set up an agreement just over a year ago with Siemens VDO (a Bosch linked company) to co-operate on developing injection systems for diesel engines,

I don't think you can generalise completely about a multi-national multi-product group of companies. Any company's products are only as good as their local management and staff at the time in question.
--
L\'escargot.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Keith S
I'm with RF on this one.

Bosch just dont seem to be as good and are similarly priced.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Hamsafar
Out of interest, has anyone seen/ tried those Bosch wipers that are appearing on new cars with no metal pivots, just a stiff plastic blade with rubber built-in. They apparently now do retrofit kits for most cars, but for a whooping £30+
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - oldgit
Out of interest, has anyone seen/ tried those Bosch wipers that
are appearing on new cars with no metal pivots, just a
stiff plastic blade with rubber built-in. They apparently now do retrofit
kits for most cars, but for a whooping £30+

Yes. My new Golf MKV has them or something very similar and smashing they are two. My only problem or rather a quirk of design with the new Golf is that when parked you cannot lift them more than say 4cms from the screen as they lie below the back lip of the bonnet to provide a svelt look.

In order to service them or lift them away at 90 degrees one has to invoke the 'service position' by turning 'on' and 'off' the ignition and then pressing the wiper operating lever down briefly whereupon they will immediately take up a vertical position on the windscreen.

In this position they can be tilted on their spindles and removed very easily. Perhaps it is just as well that they cannot be removed when parked, therefore!!
I?ve just fitted Bosch Super Plus wiper blades (set 22/19S as
stated in Bosch?s selection chart) to my 03/03 Focus and so
far I am not impressed.
Firstly, I had to cut 5mm off the inner end of
both rubbers to stop them fouling one another in the parked
position. (And yes, they are fitted correctly ~ they only
fit one way.) Fortunately the length of the metal inner
stiffener allowed for this without me having to cut the stiffener
itself. No such problems with the original blades or with
Halfords?s own brand.

Update.

After only a month the rubber elements have grown in length to the extent that the inner ends once more foul one another in the parked position. The rubber elements are the longest parts of the blade assemblies, and hence (on my car at least) there is nowhere for this growth to go.)

The first opportunity I get I'm going to buy some genuine Ford blades and consign the Bosch blades to the bin.
--
L\'escargot.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - wantone
I cant believe you have put up with them?
chuck um away and get some new one's

hope the new wipers are better!!
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - trancer
Just fitted some to my car today and can find no fault at all. No streaks or noise, will def be buying them again.
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Oz
My Bosch washing machine works fine. Perhaps this is their strong area. ;0)

Oz (as was)
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - DrS
I think that I can explain the observation that everyone believes that whatever brand of wiper they buy is the best: Because you only replace wipers when the old ones are nailed, you fit a pair of anything new, and.... what a difference!
These Yamahonduki wipers at tuppence a piece are brilliant!
Am I right?
Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - Dalglish
Just fitted some to my car today

>>

i take it that by "some" you mean "bosch super plus" ?

Bosch Super Plus wiper blades - trancer
Yep, its the only brand mentioned in the thread title so I assumed (wrongly) that everyone would know which ones I meant. 8-)

New wipers of any brand will be better than old worn out wipers, but some new ones work better than other new ones.

The Bosch Super Plus that I put on my car yesterday work better than other Bosch wipers (non-Super)that I have tried in the past.