Mondeo - 3 questions - leef
Hi Guys,

I've got 3 questions about my recently purchased Mondeo (it's an X-plate new shape 1.8LX) and so far im really pleased with it.

First of all its done just over 38,000 miles, should I be thinking of a timing/cam belt change yet? I know in FAQ of this site it recommends a change at 40,000. Does anybody know roughly what this costs to do?

Secondly, I like to change the oil every 6,000 miles on whatever car i've had in the past, used to do it on my clio every 6 months/6,000 miles. What type of oil should I be putting in my mondeo, Synthetic? Semi-synth? the standard stuff?

and last but not least, just wondering if putting 'super' unleaded in my car would make any difference at all? is it worth it etc???

Many thanks in advance guys...... and sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I look after this car properly.
Thanks
Lee
Mondeo - 3 questions - Adam {P}
Re the timing belt,

If this is the same engine as mine (I think it is) then 40k is far too soon. Ford recommend 100k, I just changed mine a few months back. (70k)

I know some Ford Mondeos had earlier belt changes but I think that was the Mk2 ones and not the new shapes.

Super Unleaded is subjective. Tried it, don't notice any difference but others claim to and apparently it gives you more miles to a tank. I rarely fill the tank so never really noticed.

Some more people in the know will be along soon to help more.

Adam
Mondeo - 3 questions - carl233
The 1.8 Duratec in the current shape Mondeo is driven by a chain and not a timing belt. This should last the life of the car when it does wear a rattle should be evident, hope this helps
Hi carl,

I've just looked under the bonnet and its a duratec engine, but it has a timing belt, I don't think the chain was brought in until mid 2001??

Thanks for the other replies so far chaps
Lee
..... just a thought? maybe I was looking at the air con belt??
not very mechanically minded... sorry :)
Mondeo - 3 questions - deepwith
Re petrol. I used to get an extra 70-75 miles per tank using higher octane petrol and the car seemed to run better. This was on a V reg 2.0 Zetec Mondeo estate doing 20,000+ miles per year,
Mondeo - 3 questions - Happy Blue!
If you are going to change the oil as frequently as every six months (no bad thing) I do not think that you need a top quality oil. Just the oil grade that the manufacturer recommends.

There is nothing to stop you using better oil (e.g. synthetic) but for your engine, would have thought that semi-synthetic would be fine.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Mondeo - 3 questions - MichaelR
It doesn't have a belt. All petrol Mk3 Mondeos are Duratec engines, and the key difference between Duratec and Zetec is Duratec has a chain and Zetec has a belt.
Thanks for clearing that up for me Michael I really didn't have a clue? Thanks again :)

Lee
Mondeo - 3 questions - Adam {P}
Yet another post confirming you shoudn't listen to me.

Have you not learnt that yet?
Mondeo - 3 questions - DavidHM
If it's the usual Ford trick, the correct oil will be 5W30 (I hope, Adam style disclaimer required). Buy it from Ford or from Asda where it is badged Texaco/Havoline for about £15 for five litres, plus a few of quid for the filter. Before you do that though, check if your local Rapid Fit has a special offer on oil changes - it can be as low as £20, depending on where you are in the country, in which case it's not worth getting your hands dirty to save £2.

As for 97+ RON fuel - personally, I would't bother on a car like this although I have no experience, merely that it's not a high performance engine though it is decent enough.
... and thanks david, I'll check Asda. I like to carry some in the boot just in case anyway.

I'll check the Rapid fit for sure, its between 20-30 quid I'll let them do it.... as for the 97RON I'll give it a go when my tank is empty, it currently full with the 95 standard so i'll check the mileage the car does with both fuels in from a full tank.

Thanks again guys, as always you know your stuff.

Lee
Yet another post confirming you shoudn't listen to me.
Have you not learnt that yet?

Haha! Its all good Adam, thanks for all your advice :) I didn't have a clue myself.

Thanks anyway :)

Lee