Warning Beeps from Gold Mk4 dash - Chi Kwong Chiu
Hi all,

I've took delivery of an imported Golf GT TDi about a month ago through Oneswoop but unfortunately the owners manual has yet to arrive (in the right language).

Everything else with the car is OK except that the car intermitently makes three beeping noises from the instrument panel. I can't figure out what it is, I'm not doing anything special to cause it to beep and without an owners manual can't tell whether it's warning or not. It's defintely not an ice warning as that makes a 'bong' noise and the ice symbol appears....

Is my car trying to tell me something serious?

Cheers

Chi
Re: Warning Beeps from Gold Mk4 dash - ian (cape town)
Silly as it sounds, check your watch when it happens!
My old Beemer used to warn me that it was one minute before the hour - so I could put on the news!
Re: Warning Beeps from Gold Mk4 dash - Neil
It could be fuel. It could be a slightly open door. See if there are any associated lights on that shouldn't be on. Check the fluid levels.

Normally, there is some warning notice or illuminated light to say what's up.

As the car is still under it's manuafacturer's warrantee, get it registered with VW(UK), and get it looked at by a dealer.
Re: Warning Beeps from Gold Mk4 dash - steve
its warning you that the temp has dropped below 4 degrees and the roads may be icy.
Re: Warning Beeps from Gold Mk4 dash - steve
sorry. didn't notice you had ruled out ice - it also makes a noise when you are low on fuel or the handbrake is on.....or maybe its got a faulty bong!
Re: Warning Beeps from Gold Mk4 dash - Adam Going
My VW T4 van makes a series of three, three-note bleeps whenever the key is inserted or removed, to confirm operation of the imobiliser. This has never happened other than on removal or insertion of the key. If yours is the imobiliser bleeper, and it is happening whilst driving, could it be a fault on the imobilser circuit? Some earlier Golfs had a warning buzzer for low oil pressure, but that accompanied the warning light.

Suggest you visit a VAG dealer unless your handbook is imminent.

Regards, Adam
Re: Warning Beeps from Gold Mk4 dash - John S
Does the stereo have a removable face panel? If the bleeping occurs after you switch off the ignition, then it's a fair bet the stereo is giving a reminder to remove the face panel for security. The Sony in my Saab used to do this.

Regards

john
Re: Warning Beeps from Gold Mk4 dash - Kev O
Chi

Those 3 bleeps are a security reminder to remove your stereo unit when leaving the car. I have the same car with a Sony unit and was totally baffled until a very helpful chap at my local VW dealer enlightened me.

Hope this helps.

Kev
Re: Warning Beeps from Golf Mk4 dash - Chi Kwong Chiu
Thanks everyone,

but I'm still no nearer to finding out why it's beeping. It in fact beeps 4 times (I counted this morning) and happens whilst I'm driving. There are no warning lights on the dash, full tank of fuel, and handbrake fully released.

I have a Pioneer stereo in it with a removable face plate but as I haven't stopped the car and taken the key out, there's no reason why it should beep.

I've just spoken to the service department of my local VW dealer and they're clueless as well....could it therefore be a feature of imported Golfs?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers

Chi
Re: Warning Beeps from Golf Mk4 dash - OldGolfer
When you reach 30mph?
Re: Warning Beeps from Golf Mk4 dash - Hooner
You weren't driving at four in the morning were you?

Could be the radio station beeps for the clock.
Re: Warning Beeps from Golf Mk4 dash - Andrew Smith
How Long have you been driving for? My car likes to shout at me if I've been driving for more than two hours without a break.
Re: Warning Beeps from Golf Mk4 dash - Chi Kwong Chiu
It varies and it doesn't happen on every journey I make - long or short, fast or slow.
Re: Warning Beeps from Gold Mk4 dash - ian (cape town)
I'll ask about it with a friend here, and check his handbook.
I'll try to post later.
I
Re: Warning Beeps from Gold Mk4 dash - Rebecca
Have you ruled out the suggestion above about sounding the hour so you can switch the news on?
Re: Warning Beeps from Gold Mk4 dash - AndyS
Audi A3 makes a bleep or three (or four) when you exceed a speed set into the computer that reports fuel consumption, average speed, distance travelled etc.
Quite useful if you set it to remind you if you accidentally drift over 85.
Re: Warning Beeps from Gold Mk4 dash - Mark (Brazil)
Chi,

Did you ever discover what this was ?

Just curious.

Mark.