Rover 214 sluggish - bbroomlea{P}
Drove her 214 for the first time in a while the other day and feels really sluggish compared to what it used to be like. I had the plugs, distributer cap and rotar arm done in March and an oil and filter change in July so it should be fairly well tuned up.

Powerloss is not that significant but doesnt pick up as well as it did or have a spurt of life at 4500 revs either!

Is it just getting old, in need of air filter or is there anything else anyone can point to??

It also doesnt seem as economical - 300 miles on a tank and not the 350-370 that I used to get 2 years ago!
Rover 214 sluggish - Rover25
I'd start with the basics and change air and fuel filters. If air or fuel filters are clogged they will both lead to poor performance and poor economy.
Suggest also checking adjustment of throttle cable, to ensure that the throttle is operating through its full range.
Not sure what year your car is, but many K-series rovers have a plastic throttle body which are prone to trouble as the butterfly valve deforms and fails to operate correctly, might be worth checking that whilst you've got your spanners out.
Rover 214 sluggish - jc
Seeing as you had work done on the ignition,a check of it's timing could be in order,it fits in with your symptoms.
Rover 214 sluggish - Civic8
Just a thought,but check the pipe that runs from inlet manifold to ecu it may be split?
--
Steve
>>a check of it's timing could be in order

I was told that the ingnition timing cannot be changed as its controlled by the ECU, was i mis-informed?

I will change the fuel and air filter and see if it makes a difference. Have owned car from 60K and now on 110K and I havent had them changed so are probably overdue!

BTW its 1997 'P' reg
Rover 214 sluggish - jc
Yes;probably the reference to distributor confused me.
Rover 214 sluggish - edisdead {P}
What kind of trips has the car been on since you last drove it? It might just need a good blast up the motorway to blow the cobwebs away. 70mph in 3rd gear for a few miles makes a huge difference to our cars after they have been stuck in shopping trolley mode for a few weeks.
Ed.
Rover 214 sluggish - Xileno {P}
MAP sensor may be clogged up.
>>What kind of trips has the car been on since you last drove it?

Mainly 20 mile round trip to work and longer 50 miles each way to see her parents on motorway. She doesnt rev the car much more than 3000 revs where I like to take it round to 6000 now and then to blow the cobwebs away.

I drove it 300 miles down the A1 and back and was hoping that on the return run it would be a bit more lively and that was sitting at 4000 revs for the majority of the time.

I will check MAF sensor - does anyone know whereabouts it is on this engine?
Rover 214 sluggish - Civic8
they dont have a maf sensor,they do have MAP sensor built into ECU.reason why I asked about pipe
--
Steve
Rover 214 sluggish - jc
Not only may the pipe be split,it can also be affected by the petrol;it may then go soft or get blocked and over a long period the sensor in the MAP can also be affected by fuel.
It now seems to be running a lot better without me having to do anything, but the strange thing is it has tied in with the thermostat sticking and taking 5 times longer to warm up and the exhaust blowing at the back somewhere!

Have now booked it in for:
Thermostat
Air/fuel/oil filter
exhaust (thats just started blowing - someone did mention it could have been blocked slightly)

Hopefully that should cure it!

Also gearbox seems a bit stiff compared to my car - would it be worth changing it (never been done) or are they sealed??

Thanks
>>Also gearbox seems a bit stiff compared to my car - would it be worth changing it (never been done) or are they sealed??

sorry that should read changing the oil and not the whole gear box :-)