£7 to spend - Mike sutcliffe
I have £7k - No P/A, to spend on a 5 door hatch in the Laguna/Mondeo size range. Like the Laguna but have had one for a while,so any thoughts on Mondeo v Accords or is there something else out there that may make the pulse race a bit?
Re: £7 to spend - Brian W
I am glad that the correct figure is in the body of the post, otherwise the rotten lot on here will be recommending Dinky cars. ;-)
Re: £7 to spend - Darcy Kitchin
Saw £7 to spend, saw the fine Yorkshire name of Sutcliffe and didn't see anything amiss.

Remember a Yorkshireman is a Scotsman with all the generosity beaten out of him.
Re: £7 to spend - markymarkn
£7? I'd talk to Corgie! :-)

M
Re: £7 to spend - markymarkn
Brian! You read my mind!
Re: £7 to spend - Ronnie Courtney
Mike

Don't let the "rotten lot on here" upset you and, with a bit of luck, some of the many *nice* guys out there will come up with helpful (and valid) suggestions. BTW, life must be hell without a P/A (Personal Assistant) - only kidding, we know you meant P/E!

Ronnie
Primera! - Phil P
Mike, the Primera's a good drivers' car if you can put up with the styling. I'm sure the Citroen mafia will be along shortly . . . ;o)
7k - Neil
Why not try the Passat? Much more classy than the mainstream suggestions.

Or, for a bargain alternative, go for an Octavia. . .
Re: £7 to spend - Chad R
Mike,

Buy yourself a nice Xantia 1.9TD (LX or SX) estate for around 5-6K, you may get a 97/8 face lift model for that money. Then blow the rest on a nice holiday!

Or if you want to make the neighbours jealous, you could find a nice BMW 320/323 for that money - no hatchback admittedly, but you'll feel great everytime you go for a drive. Talking about great driver's cars.... 7K will buy you a "well used" E30 M3.....c'mon now Mike .... you know it makes sense....

Best of Luck with whatever you choose,

Chad.R

Citroen Convert and Hardcore BMW fan
Re: £7 to spend - David W
Mike,

Sorry we're having fun with the £7 but I could only think if you put another £1 to it you would have been the buyer of the MOTd BX Diesel at auction the other week.

Yes the Xantia would give you amazing value in this range, but will still lose you loads in depreciation. You'd either be hooked or hate one.

David
Re: £7 to spend - CM
You can get a used approved BM 3 series for that sort of money. Probably done about 60-70K miles so should be good for another 80-100K. Most of the depreciation already gone and may cause less problems as it gets older.
Re: £7 to spend - Bruce
Don't buy the Xantia, I had 4 brilliant BXs traded the last one in for a Xantia which was obviously a vendredi car! Worst car I ever owned since the Austin Princess, but thats another story.
Re: £7 to spend - Steve G
Re>something else out there that may make the pulse race a bit?

Alfa Romeo 156
Go for a 2.0 twinspark with either Lusso or Sportpack option.
S/98 with 65K about £ 6200 at auction.
Everthing else available in market sector is just plain dull compared to this.
Good Luck
Re: £7 to spend - Dave
My brother reckoned his 156 was too firmly sprung to actually use in the usual everyday drives we all do - i.e. hours on motorway with a quick a road shuffle each end.
Re: £7 to spend - Derek
Depends on what you're looking for. I've had a Mondeo and wouldn't particularly want another. A Honda with full service record would appeal to me, from the quality angle (my son has just bought a Civic).
Re: £7 to spend - Steve G
Point taken Dave
But cars that are fun to drive (make your pulse race) often have a firm ride.Did your brothers 156 have the sportpack ? the ride will be extra firm because of the low profile tyres and stiffer suspension set-up.
Maybe you should try a Lusso version ? you wont be dissappointed.
the good cars to buy (and no lada in sight). - ladas are slow
the alfa will probably be like all other alfa's when it gets old (very unreliable), so i would be buying a toyota avensis, mazda 626, honda accord, mitsubishi galant (dont go for the horrible carisma), or an old mercedes (i like the old 190E, or the pre 1995 E class)
Re: the good cars to buy (and Mazdas. - David Withers
I think a comic award is due here for recommending a Mazda 626! This car has even more than usual of the typical Japanese trait of being reliable but completely bland to drive. I'd stick to Ladas!
Re: the good cars to buy (and no lada in sight). - MM
£7 - perhaps you should talk to Ladas Are Cool ?

You may even get some change too!

;o)

MM
Re: the good cars to buy (and no lada in sight). - ladas are slow
last week at auction, a 1989 lada riva 1.5 came up, it had three months mot, but no tax, it had done 68000 miles, and had a bit of history, and more rust than i have ever seen on a car. nobody wanted the car, and finally someone said that they would bid £5 if the auction company didnt charge commission, and seeing as the car had been in the last two sales, they sold the car for the £5 without charging the commission. was it a bargain, i dont think so.
Re: the good cars to buy (and Mazdas. - Dave
Steve G wrote: "But cars that are fun to drive (make your pulse race) often have a firm ride.Did your brothers 156 have the sportpack ? the ride will be extra firm because of the low profile tyres and stiffer suspension set-up."

Not sure if he had the sport pack. He did like the car - he reckoned the 2l engine was sweet. Had a go in a 2.5l version too. Loved that too. But loving a car and living with it are two different things. I've lusted after a Westfield/Caterham for years. I'll never have one 'cos I need to use a roof rack in the summer, and owning two cars and a bike isn't really an option. (Cost + Space + On a summer day suitable for thrashing a Westie I'd be out on the bike anyway) So I guess it will remain a pipe dream, dusted off every now and then until rational thought takes over again... What a great digression!

LAS - I've seen cars go for £5 at Tewkesbury Auction. I believe they still insisted on the min 500 quid deposit until the sale was completed. (In fact can anyone here confirm that they would have done that? It seemed odd but I'm sure that's what was said)
Re: £7 to spend - El Dingo (Martin)
Mike,

If you need 5 doors, I'd buy a A4 2.6/2.4 Avant (for relaxed motoring - and not a real estate) or a Golf VR6 for fun (wonderful engine). Both are solid cars - not the best handling in either case (or the cheapest on fuel).

Martin.
Re: £7 to spend - nick
having just read the thread, had to recommend the citroen!!!
I bought a Xantia several years ago (L reg 1993 model) and still have it. Done 104,000 never stopped, only mechanical failure has been the hydraulic pump (very close to home) other than that nothing adverse to report. Kids hate the car as it has no street cred. I love it as it cuises at 100mph all day (on French autoroute early last year) and uses no fuel. Mine is a derv powered by the way.
So you've heard from the Citroen mafia after all!!