Damsel In Distress - Vectra Fumes! - DemonicaB
Hello

I confess to knowing nothing about cars so any help here would be great.

I've just picked up my new car - P Reg Vauxhall Vectra 1.8

I've driven it the one and a half hours home (live in middle of nowhere). The car smelt of petrol the whole way so much so that I felt ill and almost dizzy. It was worse with the windows open.

Also a slight rattling but that could be innocent.

On inspection the coolant was very low so it's been topped up. I also noticed some liquid spitting out of the exhaust and don't know how normal that is.

The garage claimed to have serviced it and replaced the cambelt. I haven't rung them yet as I'd like to have an idea of what the prob could be.

If anyone could help I'd be eternally grateful!

Kat x
Damsel In Distress - Vectra Fumes! - Adam {P}
I'd think you need to get back in touch with them. Clearly something's wrong.

However, it may be a simple problem at least in terms of the petrol. I had a Fiesta that had similar petrol smells. Fortunately it was a white car and I could see the petrol had leaked out of the cap all over the car. The filler cap had simply perished. You need to get the problem looked at though for obvious reasons.

Re the water coming out of the exhaust, mine does that when it's been raining and I'm told it's perfectly harmless. However, I don't know if that's symptomatic of a more sinister problem.

Don't worry though as loads of people will be along shortly who know more about these things and can help you.

Good Luck,

Adam
Damsel In Distress - Vectra Fumes! - Civic8
Just a thought,but if they replaced the fuel filter and they are the same as the corsa (push on pipe connectors)one may have not seated correctly
--
Steve
Damsel In Distress - Vectra Fumes! - old_git
Firstly, don't panic or get upset/worried.

The petrol fumes are likely to be either a perished seal on the filler cap, or the pipe from the filler to the tank has a leak somewhere. Whatever it is, the garage should sort it out. With those fumes it's not "fit for purpose" - slight exaggeration possibly, but relevant under the sale of goods act.

Surprised the coolant was low, but should be OK. Keep an eye on it and if the level keeps dropping mention it when you go back to the garage about the petrol smell.

Liquid coming out of the exhaust. Perfectly normal, but would have expected the condensation in the system to have dried out if you drove for 90 mins without stopping. It's this condensation that rots the exhaust eventually. The shorter the journeys, the quicker the rot.

Enjoy your car and don't let a couple of small issues ruin it.
Damsel In Distress - Vectra Fumes! - DemonicaB
Thank you all so much for help, it's hugely appreciated!

Just had a neighbour take a gander and he noticed a new exhaust had been fitted. He reckons the fumes are from that.

Will keep a check on the coolant.

Thanks again!
Kat
Damsel In Distress - Vectra Fumes! - RichardP
I had a new exhaust fitted to my Granada recently and that made some funny burning smells for about 100 miles or so - I think it was the sealing compound at the joints getting hot, but it stopped and no problems since. Some cars can smell of petrol a bit if you brim the tank to the top - I think some vapour comes out of the breather system?
Damsel In Distress - Vectra Fumes! - Ruperts Trooper
If the fumes are petrol, there is a definite fault.

Neither a faulty filler cap nor a poorly fitted fuel filter will cause fumes INSIDE the car as they're behind the ventilation inlet and windows.

The venting system in the fuel filler SHOULDN'T be brimmed to the top, stop filling when the pump first clicks off. There's meant to be an air gap at the top of the tank. This applies to all modern cars!
Damsel In Distress - Vectra Fumes! - jc
The air gap has to be there;it's a legal requirement;but even repeated brimming will not totally fill it.Another reason why new exhausts smell is not only the paint on them and the sealing compound but the filling in the mufflers(usually a form of glassfibre or mineral wool) is in a very thin plastic bag when the systems are mnde(to protect the assembler and his environment).This will normally melt the first time the car is driven but it can linger if the car is not driven hard.
Damsel In Distress - Vectra Fumes! - Dynamic Dave
The venting system in the fuel filler SHOULDN'T be brimmed to
the top, stop filling when the pump first clicks off. There's
meant to be an air gap at the top of the tank. This applies to all modern cars!

I've always brimmed my Vauxhalls (owned various models since 1985) without ever having problems.
Damsel In Distress - Vectra Fumes! - Armitage Shanks {p}
I think that problems which can arise include a totally full tank being exposed to an high temperature (the midday sun) and then expanding. With no air space to expand into XS fuel is vented past the filler cap and spilled on the road or wherever. I understand that when the fuel is diesel it is a particular aggravation to motorcyclists who find it very easy to skid on. Most owners handbooks talk about refuelling to only the first auto shut off of the delivery pump, and I think it is for this reason ie leaving an air gap at the top of the tank
Damsel In Distress - Vectra Fumes! - jc
That is why there is always space for expansion at the top of the tank and you will never fill that bit,no many how many times you brim it.