How stupid do you have to be... - Nsar
.....to get a job as the designer/engineer who first decided that the best interface between wheel and hub would be achieved by bolts going through the wheel and into the hub?
"Let's get people who have a flat tyre to change their wheel in such a way that (perhaps in the rain, or the dark or combination of both on the side of a busy road)they have to lift a large, filthy object weighing at least 20kg that can only be manhandled with both hands and then require them to position it on the hub with a tolerance of less than 1mm and then hold it off the ground with one hand and with the other pick up a bolt and screw it in - yeah that makes loads of sense, problem solved let's go and have lunch."
Rant over, thank you, I feel much better now. Yes I did get a flat this evening.
How stupid do you have to be... - Civic8
I dont recall it being mentioned wheel change is easy,specially when you dont carry a lamp in the dark.not easy in daylight-for some-reason I prefer steel wheels not alloys,far easier to fit in dark,but then how often does it happen?
--
Steve
How stupid do you have to be... - trancer
"I prefer steel wheels not alloys,far easier to fit in dark"

Huh?
How stupid do you have to be... - Altea Ego
So

You have a wheel, It needs to rotate at 1000's revolutions per minute, it needs to be balanced and locked in place perfectly centralised around its pivot point. It needs to be located within 1mm in all planes, it needs to support up to 4 g in all planes. Needs to do all this at -30c and +100c. Needs to take up to 30 g in shocks, and it needs to be replaceable by an ingnoramous with a pathetic manufacturers supplied toolkit.

So how would you design it?

How stupid do you have to be... - Citroënian {P}
>>So how would you design it?

How's about the stuff they use on F1 cars - that seems to work OK ;-)

It's a bit sad but our Skoda has five nuts holding the wheel on. Gives a sense of security over those haphazard manufacturers who make do with four...
--Lee .. SERENITY NOW
How stupid do you have to be... - turbo11
F1 wheel nuts are put on with wheel guns using 200PSI air pressure giving 200lb ft torque.You would need to carry a very large torque wrench to get that undone.
How stupid do you have to be... - AlastairW
I think what Nsar is getting at is that wheel studs and nuts are easier to use, in general, than bolts into the hub. I certainly think so.
How stupid do you have to be... - nickKK
The one thing I like that is new is the "run on flat" from Michellin although you can only use it with a car that monitors tyre pressures, but this would allow you to drive to a better place to change the tyre ( serviec station ) or home.
How stupid do you have to be... - IanJohnson
From experience with bolts on a Fiesta many years ago when re-fitting the wheel lower the car to the right height to align the holes then you don't have to lift the 20Kg lump at all.

Or if a VAG product use the plastic stud that comes with the car!

A little thought makes the work easier!
You hit the nail on the head Alastair.
How stupid do you have to be... - patently
Eh?? Do your hubs not have a boss on them that fits inside a recess on the wheel? That allows you to place the wheel in position on the boss, held on with gentle pressure to the wheel face, and then rotate until the holes line up and you can fit the bolts?

That way, you don't need to hold the wheel up in the air and rotate it until the studs line up with the holes. Much better to use wheel bolts, therefore, provided this small precaution is taken!
How stupid do you have to be... - L'escargot
Eh?? Do your hubs not have a boss on them
that fits inside a recess on the wheel?

I was just going to say that!
--
L\'escargot.
How stupid do you have to be... - Stargazer {P}
Or the outgoing VW Passat system, you remove one bolt, screw in a guide bar before removing the rest of the bolts, remove the wheel. Then slide spare wheel over the guide bar, insert 4 bolts before removing guide bar and replacing last bolt.

StarGazer
No I don't, the wheel slips down. To present the wheel correctly it has to be spot on. Lowering it on the jack wouold also have to be mm perfect too.
When you have a perfectly sensible way of doing something - studs onto which you screw bolts - why use a stupid way?
No I don't, the wheel slips down.

Ouch.

::[sympathy]::
How stupid do you have to be... - Number_Cruncher
I hope the engineer who came up with this mounting system did well out of it; a pay rise or promotion perhaps.

He or she reduced the numbers of parts significantly, removed the tight tolerance to obtain an interference fit between stud and hub, and removed the operation of pressing the studs into the hub from the assembly process. Bravo!

Most mounting and dismounting of wheels is done under workshop conditions, and while it is difficult to change them in the dark by the roadside, it is possible.

While there are difficulties in the design of F1 cars and the likes of Ferraris, being able to thow money at the design does ease the situation. A good engineer is one who can make for a shilling what any fool could make for a pound.

Number_Cruncher

I hope the engineer who came up with this mounting system
did well out of it; a pay rise or promotion perhaps.

I must disagree with you for once, NC. It's a clever change from the point of view that you explain, but there is more to car maintenance than the workshop.

Most wheel-changing may well be done there, but not all. The most urgent maintenance is done at the roadside.
>>The most urgent maintenance is done at the roadside.

Yes, I agree, that's very true.

However, we all want to buy cheaper cars, and the cost savings required to achieve this have to be made somewhere. For most people, for most of the time, the method of wheel attachment is not of any concern.

I don't think many car purchase decisions have been swayed by the presence or absence of wheel studs!

Number_Cruncher
However, we all want to buy cheaper cars,

Not all of us; some want cars built to a quality standard. Then others sneer and call us badge snobs. ;-)

What worries me is that people think they are getting cheaper cars "for free", but they are not. The cost savings are made in areas they won't notice until too late.
>>The cost savings are made in areas they won't notice until too late.

This is an excellent point. However, in terms of wheel security, bolts are adequate, as are studs.

Most car buying dullards are, unfortunately, more interested in the "quality" of the interior trim, and in some peculiar, meaningless, term, "build quality". So, the type of leather graining on the gear knob is seen by and commented upon by many, but vitally important "oily bits" are only considered by the discerning few.

That marketing has undoubtedly triumphed over engineering in automotive design is one of many reasons why I don't work, and wouldn't consider working for a motor manufacturer!

>>Then others sneer and call us badge snobs. ;-)

Perish the thought!

While many who buy Porsche do so for the badge and the status, Porsche make IM(alas limited!)O very well engineered cars.

Number_Cruncher
How stupid do you have to be... - sierraman
I quite agree,but you could line up one hole with the wheel on the ground,insert bolt then use it as a pivot to lift wheel and bring other holes into alignment.Easier with car in gear for FWD.
OK I've lined the holes up, I've slid the bolt into the hole on the wheel. I grasp the wheel with both hands and present it to the hub (without rotating it by even 1mm) Which hand do I use to screw the bolt in while I'm keeping the wheel steady?

How stupid do you have to be... - $till $kint
You grasp the wrench with your knees and use that of course.
How stupid do you have to be... - AR-CoolC
I'm with you Nsar, it's a right royal pain in the bum, my old beetle used to be like this, the way I did it was to support the wheel on my foot, then you can lift it into place using just one hand to steady it and the other to insert the bolt.
How stupid do you have to be... - sierraman
OK,if you cannot hold the wheel with one hand lower the jack until they are aligned.I am not defending this cheapskate way of making cars,they should all have studs,butI have done it the way descibed.
How stupid do you have to be... - henry k
I think I would have discovered the problem much earlier when doing a regular wheels off check.

I think I would have obtained a couple of lengths of studding and cut a slot in one end of each. Plus a small screwdriver.

With the wheel off screw in the two studs
Pop on the wheel.
Screw in two of the bolts.
Remove the studs using a screw driver if required.

Restore those bits with the spare wheel, short plank etc.
Oh and some black sacks for the spare when it is resting on your passengers lap.

I am told motoring IS fun!
How stupid do you have to be... - PR {P}
My old Alfa (not this one, it doesnt have a spare!!) came with a red "guide bolt", which is as Henry K described above, you screwed it in, put the wheel on using the guide, put the rest of the bolts in, removed the guide bolt and put proper bolt in. Easy.

Also, be aware that with the run flat tyres the makers do say you can't repair any punctures, once punctured they're knackered.
How stupid do you have to be... - David Horn
Saw a Range Rover the other day running on a run-flat tyre. Going very slowly and you could hear the noise of the tyre from some distance away. Looked extremely uncomfortable, too.
How stupid do you have to be... - cheddar
Eh?? Do your hubs not have a boss on them
that fits inside a recess on the wheel?

>>I was just going to say that!
--
L'escargot.>>

So was I.
How stupid do you have to be... - BazzaBear {P}
>> Eh?? Do your hubs not have a boss on them
>> that fits inside a recess on the wheel?
>>I was just going to say that!
--
L'escargot.>>
So was I.

I wasn't.

But I was thinking it.
How stupid do you have to be... - cheddar
>> >> Eh?? Do your hubs not have a boss on
them
>> >> that fits inside a recess on the wheel?
>>
>> >>I was just going to say that!
>> --
>> L'escargot.>>
>>
>>
>> So was I.
>>
I wasn't.
But I was thinking it.

ESP
How stupid do you have to be... - Red Baron
Don't see many people changing a flat tyre these days. Most stand forlornly by the side of the road with a mobile phone to their ear - in an incapable sort of way.
How stupid do you have to be... - Altea Ego
There is no way that my 5'4" wife who only weighs 8 stone wringing wet could change a 17" wheel and tyre. She woudlnt even be able to get it out of the boot of a goona for instance.
There is no way that my 5'4" wife who only weighs
8 stone wringing wet could change a 17" wheel and tyre.

I'll always change it myself IF safe to do so. This generally means that I'll do the nearside but not the offside unless I can go somewhere away from the road.

As for Mrs P, RF, imagine 5'1" and a 19" X5 wheel ..... no chance!
How stupid do you have to be... - turbo11
Never found it a struggle myself.Plus if you keep a pair of gloves in your boot,you won't even get your hands dirty.
How stupid do you have to be... - apm
I liked the wire wheels on my old Midget- single stud, big nut, spanner you could beat an elephant to death with! Why did these go out of fashion, or were they deemed unsafe?

Alex.
--
Dr Alex Mears
Seat Leon Cupra
If you are in a hole stop digging...unless
you are a miner.
How stupid do you have to be... - artful dodger {P}
Inserting bolts is a pain with large wheels, especially in the dark.

The worst bit of having bolts to insert is they can frequently rust at the end where they protrude through the hub. Then when trying to remove them they shear off. I had two do this on one wheel. The trick is to use a smear of copper grease on the threads - if you have any to hand (unlikely if you have just had a puncture).

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Count on me to take this thread off course but here goes:

Nsar, next time get one of your floor mats out and sit on it (keeps bum clean/dry), with wheel next to hub, lift it with both free hands, and place it on your toes in front of you. With heels on the ground, pivot your ankles upwards lifting the tyre into place. With the tyre in place and with two free hands, you can now do up two bolts at a time.

This method was taught to me by my Dad when I was at the tender age of 10. He was making sure that I could change a tyre on my Mum's car as he was only home at the weekends and there was no recovery service to call...which is just as well as mobile phones didn't exist back then.

To those doubting their wife's ability to change a wheel, shame on you for being so blatantly sexist. I was big for my age, but at10 years old I definately wasn't as big or as strong as an adult woman, yet I was able to change wheels, and your wives could too if you had a bit of confidence in them and showed them the correct technique.

Of course my own wife can't change a wheel, but thats cos she doesn't want to know how, nothing at all to do with her being a woman and physically unable to.
showed them the correct technique.

You need to persuade them to try though. I've had a go, and all I get is "But I'll just phone you!"
Fair enough, its pretty much the same situation here with "I'll just call recovery", but I don't think for one minute that she couldn't do it if she wanted to.
How stupid do you have to be... - NowWheels
Somehow, the idea of sitting on the road with ones knees in the air, wrecking good shoes by balancing a dirty 20kg rubber thing on them (after ruining clothes while lifting wheels in and out of the boot), is not quite the average woman's idea of fun.

Besides, if you have a well-trained man handy ...