Mazda 6 - Experience please. - Altea Ego
OK guys

Seriously looking at a Mazda 6. Possibly a 2.0/2.0D TS.
Looked at one three years ago, but it was very noisy, busy at motorway speed, firmish ride and had the interior styling of a 1980 amstrad stereo.

Its good value, consistent good reports and hellishly ravishing looks have dragged me back again. The facelifted inside looks classier, it is offered with a 6 speed box, and can be got at a good price.

Comments please, faclifted models only. Still noisy? (yes seen the HJ report)
Mazda 6 - Experience please. - turbo11
Had mine nearly two years.Zero faults,only complaint is tyre noise(which seems to blight a large number of modern cars).Petrol engine is very smooth and good on fuel(35 to 39 mpg)but love the diesel version(was more expensive).It is also very comfortable to drive,great handling,ride is as firm as i would wish and i like the interior.
For what i paid for mine their was no competition.Also first service was only £100.
Mazda 6 - Experience please. - NowWheels
Seriously looking at a Mazda 6

Please, just don't do it.

You'll only have to change your nickname in the backroom, and then we'll all be confused.

Unless of course you intend to be like Volvoman, and decide that you don't want to be named after a Mazda.
Mazda 6 - Experience please. - grn
RF,

I truly wouldn't do it. No idea if the facelifted ones are any better, but being just facelifted I doubt it.

Had a 05 2.0D TS for about 2 months ....had to get rid.
Too darn noisy, aircon was all or nothing, handling was mediocre, steering over-assisted, stereo was cheap n cheerful, seats - support and trim also v average, fuel consumption extremely average < 40mpg.

It may not be expensive, but it feels that way too.

All just my opinion of course.

If you are seriously thinking take a long test-drive - over a weekend or so to really get the feel of it on all roads. It is not a motorway mile eater by any stretch of the imagination, nor does it positively handle on A rds...prob best for pottering around town if anything.

rgds,

Graham.
Mazda 6 - Experience please. - mike hannon
That's interesting. Those are exactly the reasons I didn't buy a new 626 when I tried it after admiring its looks...in 1985!
Mazda 6 - Experience please. - SjB {P}
A friend of mine has a Mazda 6 2.0 TS loaner whilst he waits for his 3 Series to arrive, so I had a good crawl over it last weekend. Pretty good fit and finish, and some nice touches such as the "tip and rotate" air vents. Acres of traditionally shiny Jap plastic took the edge of the ambience though.

I commented that I'd read about the 6 being noisy at speed to which he replied "No it isn't. It's noisy all the time!" After his previous car (S plate Octavia 1.9 diesel) he finds the Mazda frenetically busy on the motorway and much noisier than the ?koda even at an A road cruise.

He also finds the handling pretty ho-hum and the engine to be juicy on fuel. This isn't helped by being relatively torque-shy and needing a good wringing to make progress.

All in all pretty aligned with grnicol's comments despite being petrol not diesel.
Mazda 6 - Experience please. - grn
SjB - All verrrry true.

It is indeed quieter in a Skoda Octavia- also, the trim and finish in the new Octavia was better too. Testing them back-to-back really demonstrates the difference.

Graham.
Mazda 6 - Experience please. - Pugugly {P}
Neighbour had two, the frst one was a replacement under Mazda's policy of changing an unsatisfactotry car, he kept it for three months before getting rid on the grounds of poor fuel econmoy (compared to the A4 it replaced) and poor caravan lugging ability in comparsion with the Audi, he replaced it with umm er an A4. The Mazda's were both the higher powered diesels.
Mazda 6 - Experience please. - cheddar
Reckon the facelift with the 143 diesel should be a cracker, loads of torque, improved handling and interior, I would go for the estate personally, it is a sports tourer type estate rather than a load lugger like a Mondeo for instance. Not so sure about the 121 diesel, less power and torque and no better economy / CO2, infact neither are that competitive in CO2.
Mazda 6 - Experience please. - SjB {P}
Reckon the facelift with the 143 diesel should be a cracker, loads of torque, improved handling and interior

Can't comment on the diesel but it is a brand spanking new face lift model I wrote about above. Jappy placcy interior and according to matey, ho hum handling. If it's improved, it doesn't appear to say much for the one that preceeded it!