Citroen Saxo 1.1 Erratic Reving - Jude
Hi I have a V Reg (Year 2000)Saxo 1.1i Forte (39,000 miles). Has suddenly starting to rev erratically between 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 whilst stationary. As soon as you slightly depress the gas peddle it revs almost to 4. Whilst driving problem persists with extremely jerky movements almost as if about to suddenly stop but decides to keep moving. Accelerates when foot is taken off the peddle. Would like to avoid taking it to a garage as limited income (student / single mum). Recently had new drive shaft, TDC sensor, new clutch and service! Welcome any ideas as desperate - no public transport available. Technical jargon is fine as brother will understand anything I don't. Thank you in advance.
Citroen Saxo 1.1i Erratic Idling - Jude
Anyone?
Citroen Saxo 1.1 Erratic Reving - Carl2
An independant garage will read the computer codes for faults stored this will cost about £35 (thats what it cost me last week). I have often tried to avoid taking my cars to have faults diagnosed because I imagine horrendous consequences but just recently I realise it is money very well spent. If you are then told which part is faulty you can obtain parts for your car with up to 70% discount at www.gsfcarparts.com (I have no connection with gsf but like a lot of people on this site I do think their prices and quality are very good). A guess for your car could be a faulty idle control valve, this could be about £65 if your car has single point injection (gsf price). good luck
Citroen Saxo 1.1 Erratic Reving - madf
If it has had a new clutch, it is possible one of the many earth leads fitted to the gearbox has been broken or not replaced. Acess is under the air filter so not easy to see. they are mounted on top of the gearbox. Or it is possible a connection has been broken and not correctly remade (Peugeot 106 have cheap and nasty connectors).

Have you any other strange electrical symptons? Like instruments reading strangely? If so could be an earth lead.
madf
Hi madf

Problem fixed. Just wanted to say thanks for your response. Was a faulty idle control valve (stepper motor).

Jude
Hi Carl

Problem Fixed. Took your advice and took the car to a local garage. The problem was due to a faulty Idle control valve (stepper motor). Bought the part from gsf car parts (cost £80). Citroen charge £150 for exactly the same part. Got my brother to fit the part- an easy job! Garage had told me it was an hours work to fit the part and that they would need to re program the ECU, this was not true. Citroen confirmed that this is not a fault that would normally register on the ECU and the only time it would need resetting is if the engine fault light stays on permanently, which in my case it didn't. Won't be using that garage again. Thank you!!!